• Oct 25th, 2015 8:03 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 17, 2015
2 posts
East York, ON

Need help wiring light fixture

First time posting here - need some help installing a new light fixture in a condo, any help would be much appreciated.

The light fixture has a black and red wire and a green bolt/nut. There are four clusters of wires: a cluster of blue, a cluster of green, a cluster of white, and a single yellow wire.

My guess is that the single yellow wire should connect with the black wire from the light but I'm not sure what to connect to the red wire on the light. The instructions from the light fixture don't mention anything about the green bolt/nut but should I connect the green wire to this? Pictures below for reference.

[IMG]http://tinypic.com/r/n2ftps/8[/IMG]
[IMG]http://tinypic.com/r/1174669/8[/IMG]
10 replies
Nov 14, 2013
498 posts
160 upvotes
Brampton, Ontario
Can't see your pictures bud, try hosting using imgur.com
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
3716 posts
1955 upvotes
Vancouver
are you sure those are power wires ? they don't look like to me ...
check with a non-contact tester or with a multimeter
the green bolt/nut on the fixture is the ground, in a typical light box it connects to the uninsulated copper wire that goes along with the phase (black) and the null (white)
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
3716 posts
1955 upvotes
Vancouver
that looks like a weird 3-way switch setup. can you take one of the switches that controls this circuit out of the wall and take a picture of it ? it would help a lot
[IMG]http://oi62.tinypic.com/n2ftps.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1164 upvotes
Was the yellow and the whites connected to the old light fixture? I'm guessing this a is a junction box with several wires and conduit running to it underneath the drywall. Different then your typical residential set up.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
3716 posts
1955 upvotes
Vancouver
I will assume your bunch of green wires is the ground, since they're also connected to the box, so those are the only ones you can connect to the green bolt/nut of the fixture.
Here's a quick answer : it doesn't matter how you connect the red and black wires, feel free to mix and match, since it will only work when you get it right ... but if it's a 3-way switch setup, like I suspect, it will take you some time to figure it out :D
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3097 posts
472 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
Turn off the power.
Try black to yellow, red to white, green to green.
If that doesn't work wait for someone that actually knows to answer.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
9121 posts
2025 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Was there a light fixture there before? It may just be me, but the wiring doesn't even look proper guage. Are you sure these wires aren't just to do with the intercom, or something else nearby?
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
3716 posts
1955 upvotes
Vancouver
don242 wrote: It may just be me, but the wiring doesn't even look proper guage.
It's not. The wire looks like 20 or 18 AWG, and it should be at least 14.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
9121 posts
2025 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
charlesd79 wrote: It's not. The wire looks like 20 or 18 AWG, and it should be at least 14.
I'm pretty sure that this is a junction box for the intercom or similar. Not wiring for a light fixture.
[OP]
Oct 17, 2015
2 posts
East York, ON
Thanks all for all the replies! I tried to get a meter to test but the one I had wasn't working. Finally figured it out and installed it today. This was for a new condo so there was no previous light fixture.

I connected the yellow single wire to the black, the white ceiling wire to the red and the green to the green and works great now :D

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)