• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2021 5:52 pm
[OP]
Aug 25, 2020
75 posts
11 upvotes
oshawa

need ideas on a slightly used or new car

my car got into a accident 05 sienna. it did not start after it was rear ended and is towed to toyota dealership. what are my options if i get a offer for writeoff?
what are the cars that are good in today's "covid dealership" closeoff's
this is unexpected expenses that i did not plan to incurr

my preference is a suv preferably hybrid/plugin hybrid.
8 replies
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
3908 posts
1019 upvotes
Brampton
A lightly used one will probably cost more than a new one after incentives, even moreso if financing. I recommend doing a new vehicle search, even if its a few hours away.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6585 posts
5327 upvotes
buysell2008 wrote: my preference is a suv preferably hybrid/plugin hybrid.
What's your budget? A 16 year old car ain't going to get you much on a write off, especially you are looking at $40K+ PHEVs.

And if you don't have another car to use for the time being, you don't really have many choices anyway if you are fighting for whatever is on the lot.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29131 posts
9670 upvotes
Slightly used seems to be a really bad idea right now, with the market the way it is. Anything less than 3yrs old will probably cost you close to what a new one costs, if not more if you need to consider things like financing rates which tend to be worse on used cars. You will probably need to go at least 5 years old on a used buy. You'll still be overpaying compared to what it would "normally" be selling for but will also still be cheaper than new for sure.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1253 posts
122 upvotes
Beamsville
Some cars automatically shut off the fuel pump in a crash and it needs to be reset as a safety feature. Expect a call from your insurance company once the adjuster has looked at it. My 2012 focus got hit bad and was a write off this spring. Took about a two weeks before they started talking numbers.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20631 posts
7722 upvotes
Socially Distanced
It may not be worth much in insurance value but you can negotiate for more so you can buy a used car of similar age/price if they attempt to lowball you.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
3908 posts
1019 upvotes
Brampton
Quentin5 wrote: It may not be worth much in insurance value but you can negotiate for more so you can buy a used car of similar age/price if they attempt to lowball you.
Yup, insurance should pay the cost of an equal replacement in todays market. You can dispute the value if you see it is wrong.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
4051 posts
3618 upvotes
The NORTH
Quentin5 wrote: It may not be worth much in insurance value but you can negotiate for more so you can buy a used car of similar age/price if they attempt to lowball you.
If they attempt to lowball you, you mean When they attempt to lowball you. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20631 posts
7722 upvotes
Socially Distanced
kr0zet wrote: If they attempt to lowball you, you mean When they attempt to lowball you. Face With Tears Of Joy
I was being diplomatic.
But yes, be ruthless with the insurance company.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people