Home & Garden

Need inside phone wiring technician in Toronto

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2008 9:20 am
Jan 13, 2008
23 posts
Denver

Need inside phone wiring technician in Toronto

We are in mid-town Toronto (St. Clair/Christie area) and have a small job requiring someone knowledgeable with inside phone wiring. Our phone lines work fine but as part of our total basement renovation we need to relocate the main phone transformer/switch (or whatever you call the old unit in our basement ceiling joists where the outside phone wire enters the house and is split into various phone lines). We would like to move this about 6 feet away to the electrical panel opening so that we don't need to leave an access panel on the ceiling after drywalling. This will require some new wiring due to wire length and the fact that the current wires are a mess.

Our phone and Internet are with Teksavvy but they use Bell technicians and suggested trying to find a 3rd party to do this work instead. Unfortunately I don't know who to call.

If you have any suggestions on who to contact, they would be appreciated!
Spray foam is scheduled for next Thursday (11th) so needs to be done before that!
5 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22170 posts
825 upvotes
Newmarket
Send a PM to "buildinghomes" on this site. Greg does this sort of thing.
May 17, 2006
605 posts
191 upvotes
If it's literally 2 metal posts that the outside lines come in to, then all the other inside lines connect and leave from these 2 posts, then you probably don't have to have anyone come over to do this. It's fairly simple, not dangerous (low voltage), and cheap to do. Not sure if you can buy a new phone "block", but you can re-use the old one. Just re-wire as it is now, in the new location.
Jan 13, 2008
23 posts
Denver
Thanks for the input. Our house is ~80 years old and the phone wiring seems to be nearly as old and very messy. Just contacted Greg and looks like he can help us out. I will let you know how it turns out.
Jan 13, 2008
23 posts
Denver
It is still the same day as my original post and I have already had a house call by 'buildinghomes' in which he not only fixed the issue outlined in this thread, but identified a number of other things to be corrected/improved and offered some very helpful advice regarding a potential home theater layout.

I had high expectations based on his contributions on both this website and his own and they were exceeded after meeting him and seeing him in action. A true professional who I highly recommend to anyone needing such services.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
478 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
It was very old stuff with very brittle wire. Bend it and the insulation fell off. I see this on all the old old houses I do work on.

I just replaced it all and verified everything works.

Thanks Paul!
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do