Home & Garden

Need to Install slip washer - which way?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 10:31 am
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario

Need to Install slip washer - which way?

I have a leak under the sink where the garburator connects to the drain.

From what I see, there is no slip washer installed or it deteriorated over time.

I want to install a plastic, wedge-shaped slip washer to fix the leak but I'm not sure which way around - with the thin part of the wedge facing the slip nut or the thin part towards the connecting pipe.
I checked on line and I find some posts saying the thin part of the slip washer has to face the slip nut and others say just the opposite.
Having the thin part facing the connecting pipe seems to be more logical so that the wedge can provide a seal between the two pipes but other post say that way the connection will leak and to have the thin part of the wedge facing the nut even though that seems counter-intuitive.
So what is correct?
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
The beveled part of the SJ washer fits into the beveled part of the fitting not the nut.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10214 posts
5526 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Typically, the thick end of the washer typically faces the tightening nut. If you take the nut off and peer down the pipe, there should be a taper going from wider at the top (inlet) to narrower as it goes to the U trap. That should be a sign that the washer compresses against this.

Maybe provide a picture. Water has the issue of coming from other than where you think it is coming from.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
Slip nut has been loosebed.
Water seems to have leaked where the slip nut is screwed into the pipe - all other pipes are dry.
Images
  • Leaking drain mkd.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
krs wrote: Slip nut has been loosebed.
Water seems to have leaked where the slip nut is screwed into the pipe - all other pipes are dry.
Also check your nut as some SJ nuts have a built in washer that really sucks or your nut might even have a possible hairline split.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
Thanks,

This question should have been in the "Plumbing Advice" thread but I couldn't find it when I was searching yesterday.

Disassembling that connection to replace the slip nut and add the washer is going to be a pain.
I need tyo either loosen and move the garburator or take the whole drain assembly apart - which would you recommend?
Or is there a better and easier way?