• Last Updated:
  • Oct 6th, 2015 4:11 pm
[OP]
Nov 4, 2012
126 posts
40 upvotes
Kitchener

Need landline home phone, but not from Bell and Rogers

As mentioned in title. Is there any other provider in Ontario who is offering "landline home phone" not voip?

I can't find any.

Have home alarm system that doesnt support voip. Need to have useless landline homephone for the next 2.5years until contract with security company is over

Robelus are charging landline way to much. I'm also searching for alternatives.
23 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11539 posts
2540 upvotes
Montreal
I thought for years I needed a landline for my alarm system, turns out I just needed to properly configure my VOIP ATA box and put my modem, router and VOIP box on a good battery UPS.
[OP]
Nov 4, 2012
126 posts
40 upvotes
Kitchener
alkizmo wrote: I thought for years I needed a landline for my alarm system, turns out I just needed to properly configure my VOIP ATA box and put my modem, router and VOIP box on a good battery UPS.
I contacted alarm system. They told me no voip. But on their web page it says . It is possible, depending on provider
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11539 posts
2540 upvotes
Montreal
garcimud wrote: I contacted alarm system. They told me no voip. But on their web page it says . It is possible, depending on provider
No, it isn't depending on the provider, it is depending on whether your VoIP box can trick the alarm company and your system into communicating as if they were on the landline.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3497 posts
571 upvotes
Valleywood
My Freephoneline, Obi100 ATA, and DSC PC3000 (?) all play nice together.

It is very easy, at least for DSC, to use a RJ45 straight coupler to connect directly to the ATA with a short length of RJ11 cable.

This creates a dedicated configuration without having to play with any house wiring or the RJ31X and gives the alarm system its own "phone line".
[OP]
Nov 4, 2012
126 posts
40 upvotes
Kitchener
alkizmo wrote: No, it isn't depending on the provider, it is depending on whether your VoIP box can trick the alarm company and your system into communicating as if they were on the landline.
How to know which voip box can trick the alarm? And how to configure it?
[OP]
Nov 4, 2012
126 posts
40 upvotes
Kitchener
fastlayne wrote: My Freephoneline, Obi100 ATA, and DSC PC3000 (?) all play nice together.

It is very easy, at least for DSC, to use a RJ45 straight coupler to connect directly to the ATA with a short length of RJ11 cable.

This creates a dedicated configuration without having to play with any house wiring or the RJ31X and gives the alarm system its own "phone line".

Thanks, anything else . Like alarm system provider. Do they need to do any set up again or ? Thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2232 posts
412 upvotes
We are on Ooma and our alarm company claims we can't use both together
[OP]
Nov 4, 2012
126 posts
40 upvotes
Kitchener
jerryhung wrote: TekSavvy offers real landline (Bell reseller I think?)
Just checked. No availability in my area. :(

Thanks anyway
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5983 posts
3078 upvotes
Mississauga
Primus offered POTS at one time too but I don't know if they're accepting new customers or not.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11037 posts
2832 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Call them the database is probably not updated due to not selling it much anymore (due to a stop sell from bell)

Depending on the company you are currently on they may be able to get you a land line. I got them for home phone (pots) and some family members.
garcimud wrote: Just checked. No availability in my area. :(

Thanks anyway
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2005
1753 posts
50 upvotes
Call your alarm company and see if you can get a system upgrade to a wireless system. We did ours and the alarm bill went up 3 dollars but we cut the ridiculous phone bill.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2605 posts
680 upvotes
Toronto, ON
garcimud wrote: As mentioned in title. Is there any other provider in Ontario who is offering "landline home phone" not voip?

I can't find any.

Have home alarm system that doesnt support voip. Need to have useless landline homephone for the next 2.5years until contract with security company is over

Robelus are charging landline way to much. I'm also searching for alternatives.
Have you tried to bundle your internet & TV (if you have) with BELL or ROGERS? Might be a cheaper route.
[OP]
Nov 4, 2012
126 posts
40 upvotes
Kitchener
rfdghost wrote: Call your alarm company and see if you can get a system upgrade to a wireless system. We did ours and the alarm bill went up 3 dollars but we cut the ridiculous phone bill.
Ill try that. Not familiar with options they provide
[OP]
Nov 4, 2012
126 posts
40 upvotes
Kitchener
mobifree wrote: Have you tried to bundle your internet & TV (if you have) with BELL or ROGERS? Might be a cheaper route.
I didn't. I dont watch tv. And dont need homephone except for alarm system
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2031 upvotes
Nowhere
You can currently get a Bell landline for $18.95 a month by going through retentions. That rate is for 12 months and at the end of 12 months, you call back and see what deal they offer. I don't think you will find a cheaper landline. If you are currently paying a dry loop fee, then it isn't so bad for the phone.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
682 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Is Cogeco not in Kitchener?
[OP]
Nov 4, 2012
126 posts
40 upvotes
Kitchener
Cheap Cat wrote: You can currently get a Bell landline for $18.95 a month by going through retentions. That rate is for 12 months and at the end of 12 months, you call back and see what deal they offer. I don't think you will find a cheaper landline. If you are currently paying a dry loop fee, then it isn't so bad for the phone.
Do you have number for retention? Today Ill try to see if wireless option will work with my alarm provider. If not. I might call bell

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)