Automotive

Need more USB outlets...My next project add extra..How many USB outlets in your car

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2013 10:59 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 7, 2007
1990 posts
177 upvotes
Newmarket

Need more USB outlets...My next project add extra..How many USB outlets in your car

I just don't get it. With all portable gadgets that people bring with them, car manufacturers provide only 1 USB port. Ok, it was fine and dandy when kids had their iPod Touches and my wife and I with 2 iPhones, solution was easy. Thankfully, my both cars came with 2 cigarette lighter power outlets, so got 2 Belkin mini car USB chargers with 2 USB outlets rated at 5v @ 1A. That was then, but now kids got Ipad's for Xmas and they require [email protected] So, after goggling what the best solution would be, I did not find what I was looking for. In order for me to get 2.1A I need at least 2 mini USB chargers with 1 USB port/charger and a bulky cigarette lighter splitter.
Here is what I need power for:
3 Iphones, 2 Ipads and 1 DVR.

For Iphones I will use 1 existing Belkin mini charger and existing USB that came with the car.

For DVR i'm thinking of getting following from princessauto & Ebay. USB power outlet would be hidden behind glove compartment and cable from Ebay I would bring up to the mirror.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product ... wer-Outlet

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 500wt_1372


For 2 Ipads, I'm thinking of getting DC to DC converter with following specs:
Input 9 - 20V
Output 2 x 5V @ 3A/port

DC-DC converter I would install under the passenger seat and again I would use item from Ebay and since item comes in 2 pieces, I would drill 2 holes in my centre console and install USB adapter there. So this way kids can use Ipad when ever they want.

What do you guys think.
18 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1350 upvotes
ancnfamily wrote: I just don't get it. With all portable gadgets that people bring with them, car manufacturers provide only 1 USB port. Ok, it was fine and dandy when kids had their iPod Touches and my wife and I with 2 iPhones, solution was easy. Thankfully, my both cars came with 2 cigarette lighter power outlets, so got 2 Belkin mini car USB chargers with 2 USB outlets rated at 5v @ 1A. That was then, but now kids got Ipad's for Xmas and they require [email protected] So, after goggling what the best solution would be, I did not find what I was looking for. In order for me to get 2.1A I need at least 2 mini USB chargers with 1 USB port/charger and a bulky cigarette lighter splitter.

Here is what I need power for:

3 Iphones, 2 Ipads and 1 DVR.

.
The notion that you'd need as many as 5 usb ports in a car for these devices seems a bit over the top to me.....1 or 2 USB ports should be sufficient 99% of the time IMO.

Just charge the devices overnight .......like most folks do.

Besides, unless the people using those 5 devices are in your car for 10+ uninterrupted hours on a regular basis, the need for 5 USB ports strikes me a possible sign of tech addiction run amok.

BTW...re the kids' devices, how many kids do you have & how old are they ?
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 7, 2007
1990 posts
177 upvotes
Newmarket
blackice168 wrote: buy a powered USB hub and a cigarette adapter with the same amperage rating.

cut the end off the cigarette adapter and the end off the AC adapter from the powered usb hub.

solder the cut off end from the AC adapter on to cigarette adapter.


http://dx.com/p/car-cigarette-usb-adapt ... t-2a-55968

http://dx.com/p/7-ports-powered-usb-hub-678

Too bulky..
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 7, 2007
1990 posts
177 upvotes
Newmarket
poedua wrote: The notion that you'd need as many as 5 usb ports in a car for these devices seems a bit over the top to me.....1 or 2 USB ports should be sufficient 99% of the time IMO.

Just charge the devices overnight .......like most folks do.

Besides, unless the people using those 5 devices are in your car for 10+ uninterrupted hours on a regular basis, the need for 5 USB ports strikes me a possible sign of tech addiction run amok.

BTW...re the kids' devices, how many kids do you have & how old are they ?
Not at all times I need 5. 1 is dedicated to DVR, phones need to be charged and kids like to play games or watch movies. On a long drive it is nice to keep all charged.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 22, 2006
22239 posts
2900 upvotes
Distracted driving :|

But... Would a usb hub work?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12790 posts
7485 upvotes
Brampton
Having more than 1 USB port from the factory is useless. They aren't designed to charge things. They are designed to let your phone/pad/ what ever else distraction crap to hook up to your head unit.

I have 2 12V lighter ports those are way more useful. You can plug a USB hub in to it if you want. You can plug an inverter on it if you want. I also plug in a solar battery maintainer just to help keep the battery topped up incase of short trips.

Having USB in from factory limits what you can actually power. Give me 2 12V ports anyday.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
16370 posts
11429 upvotes
Toronto
poedua wrote: The notion that you'd need as many as 5 usb ports in a car for these devices seems a bit over the top to me.....1 or 2 USB ports should be sufficient 99% of the time IMO.

Just charge the devices overnight .......like most folks do.
Besides, unless the people using those 5 devices are in your car for 10+ uninterrupted hours on a regular basis, the need for 5 USB ports strikes me a possible sign of tech addiction run amok.

BTW...re the kids' devices, how many kids do you have & how old are they ?
Quoted/bolded for truth.

Amazing fact, i manage to survive with no USB ports in my car!
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 7, 2007
1990 posts
177 upvotes
Newmarket
MS MSP wrote: Quoted/bolded for truth.

Amazing fact, i manage to survive with no USB ports in my car!
I guess you have no kids..
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 7, 2007
1990 posts
177 upvotes
Newmarket
WalterWhite wrote: buy your kids some books

/thread
I'm not sure about you, but when I travel I do not like to read. Kids got more than enough books.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1350 upvotes
MS MSP wrote:
Amazing fact, i manage to survive with no USB ports in my car!
+1

So did I...AND our 4 kids.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4895 posts
97 upvotes
Local
No one uses lighter ports for actually lighting a cigarette anymore? Now it's just for charging/powering your electronics?
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1350 upvotes
john widow wrote: No one uses lighter ports for actually lighting a cigarette anymore? Now it's just for charging/powering your electronics?
Perhaps people are lighting something other than cigarettes. ;)

[IMG]http://arsenal.theoffside.com/files/2009/11/slater.jpg[/IMG]
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Member
Feb 23, 2013
499 posts
50 upvotes
NORTH YORK
How many do I have? 0 How many do I need? At least 4.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
17527 posts
12261 upvotes
Markham
You could consider a power inverter and just use your regular power plugs instead of USB.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 7, 2007
1990 posts
177 upvotes
Newmarket
All complete. Added 1 port just above rearview mirror for the DVR and 2 outlets at the back of rear passengers. It works like a charm. Total cost around $20 for outlets and around $50 for usb adapters.
When I get some time , I'll post some pictures.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 22, 2008
2094 posts
127 upvotes
North York
ancnfamily wrote: All complete. Added 1 port just above rearview mirror for the DVR and 2 outlets at the back of rear passengers. It works like a charm. Total cost around $20 for outlets and around $50 for usb adapters.
When I get some time , I'll post some pictures.
I am curious as to how this turned out.
tebore wrote: Having more than 1 USB port from the factory is useless. They aren't designed to charge things. They are designed to let your phone/pad/ what ever else distraction crap to hook up to your head unit.

I also plug in a solar battery maintainer just to help keep the battery topped up incase of short trips.
Interesting. I never heard about this before. Do you have a specific source that you get them from? I looked on ebay and saw several listed around $80 (shipping included).

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)