• Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2021 1:10 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
4246 posts
1670 upvotes
Belle River

Need to move from GoDaddy - Need email with catchalls

I've been using GoDaddy free email with domains for a long time but they are taking that away with their move to Office 365 Email, and if I wanted to pay it doesn't support catchalls. I also didn't keep an eye on this stuff and now it's all happening like tomorrow :). But I'm pretty sure it says free trial for 2 months so I do have time to shop around.

Anyone have a suggestion?
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8898 posts
6596 upvotes
SW ON
I have a paid email with a GoDaddy affiliate (or reseller, I am not sure but hosted by GoDaddy). They have always had a catchall option. There is no indication yet that this will change.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
4246 posts
1670 upvotes
Belle River
alpovs wrote: I have a paid email with a GoDaddy affiliate (or reseller, I am not sure but hosted by GoDaddy). They have always had a catchall option. There is no indication yet that this will change.
What about the move to Office 365, are your addresses being moved yet?

The email/FAQ specifically states that catchalls will no longer be supported, but includes a few ideas for how to get similar function in Office 365. How similar I'm not sure, the 2 I looked at are not true catchalls because they don't handle unknown addresses, such as typos. There's a third one I need to look at that might work. Either way I don't want to pay $4/month to $8/month (depends on how much you prepay) per email address. The $3/month was only for first year paid in advance.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2020
1373 posts
1632 upvotes
hystavito wrote: I've been using GoDaddy free email with domains for a long time but they are taking that away with their move to Office 365 Email, and if I wanted to pay it doesn't support catchalls. I also didn't keep an eye on this stuff and now it's all happening like tomorrow :). But I'm pretty sure it says free trial for 2 months so I do have time to shop around.

Anyone have a suggestion?
Zoho is the most cost effective reliable mail hosting I've found with catchall support. Cost is $1.25CAD/user/month, billed annually.

Mailbox.org also supports catchalls on their standard (€3/user/month) and higher plans.

It's possible to set up catchall accounts on Office365 if you subscribe to Microsoft 365 Business directly. I will be surprised if GoDaddy will give you enough access to do this from a GD account, however. Cost for MS365 Business starts at $6.40CAD/user/month.

I think Google Workspace supports catchalls, but the risk of Google locking you out of your own accounts is so high that Google services should be avoided wherever possible.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
4246 posts
1670 upvotes
Belle River
middleofnowhere wrote: Zoho is the most cost effective reliable mail hosting I've found with catchall support. Cost is $1.25CAD/user/month, billed annually.

Mailbox.org also supports catchalls on their standard (€3/user/month) and higher plans.

It's possible to set up catchall accounts on Office365 if you subscribe to Microsoft 365 Business directly. I will be surprised if GoDaddy will give you enough access to do this from a GD account, however. Cost for MS365 Business starts at $6.40CAD/user/month.

I think Google Workspace supports catchalls, but the risk of Google locking you out of your own accounts is so high that Google services should be avoided wherever possible.
I followed GoDaddy's tutorial for a catchall alternative in their new Office 365 admin system, but I can't test it until they fully move everything over tomorrow. Well I think there's an option to have them move it now, so I might do that tonight and start testing.

Regardless their pricing seems too high, even if you prepay, after the first year the best I can see is $4/month per user. My email usage thru these GoDaddy domains is actually very low and basic, but handy because I could create a bunch of addresses for free, and the catchall was especially useful. So I was hoping someone knew another registrar that had similar basic email free with domains, then I would just move everything away from GoDaddy.

I guess now I will look into stuff like you suggested, Zoho for one, and keep looking for a basic free option too which I realize probably doesn't exist. I should also finally move all my domains from GoDaddy to one of the cheaper registrars that people on RFD talk about. Not much point staying with GoDaddy after this.
Feb 9, 2008
409 posts
332 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I moved my catchall email to Google G Suite, which I had a free legacy account.
Check if you signed up for Google Apps in the past.

GoDaddy is an infamous registrar that many people have moved away from.
I'm currently with namesilo (which seems to support catchall forwarding, but I haven't tested), but there are cheaper ones.
FYI, most registrars seem to be raising the .COM prices on Sept 1. If you can, you should transfer/renew before then.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
4246 posts
1670 upvotes
Belle River
middleofnowhere wrote: Zoho is the most cost effective reliable mail hosting I've found with catchall support. Cost is $1.25CAD/user/month, billed annually.
I wanted to try Zoho but the email verification never arrived, I hit resend multiple times, searched, manually looked through all my folders. Oh well, maybe I'll try with a different email but it's a hotmail domain address it seems to work for pretty much everything.
zerod wrote: I moved my catchall email to Google G Suite, which I had a free legacy account.
Check if you signed up for Google Apps in the past.

GoDaddy is an infamous registrar that many people have moved away from.
I'm currently with namesilo (which seems to support catchall forwarding, but I haven't tested), but there are cheaper ones.
FYI, most registrars seem to be raising the .COM prices on Sept 1. If you can, you should transfer/renew before then.
I already use the service formerly known as GSuite but purely for storage, I don't even use the email. I'll have to see if I can change the domain and try that for a catchall. However if I'm gonna have to pay someone to be the registrar anyway, I might as well transfer the doimain to Namesilo and use their free catchall forwarding. Then maybe I can change my GSuite domain, if they allow it, to the other domain that I need an actual real mailbox for.

I'd like to see what else is out there but I might be able to solve my problems with what's here already. Thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2020
1373 posts
1632 upvotes
hystavito wrote: I wanted to try Zoho but the email verification never arrived, I hit resend multiple times, searched, manually looked through all my folders. Oh well, maybe I'll try with a different email but it's a hotmail domain address it seems to work for pretty much everything.
Hotmail "anti-spam" is notorious for disappearing email in transit. Try an account hosted on a different provider.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8898 posts
6596 upvotes
SW ON
hystavito wrote: What about the move to Office 365, are your addresses being moved yet?

The email/FAQ specifically states that catchalls will no longer be supported, but includes a few ideas for how to get similar function in Office 365. How similar I'm not sure, the 2 I looked at are not true catchalls because they don't handle unknown addresses, such as typos. There's a third one I need to look at that might work. Either way I don't want to pay $4/month to $8/month (depends on how much you prepay) per email address. The $3/month was only for first year paid in advance.
I haven't heard anything about the move. I am not directly with GoDaddy though. And they don't provide free accounts.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8898 posts
6596 upvotes
SW ON
zerod wrote: GoDaddy is an infamous registrar that many people have moved away from.
I read this several times but nobody ever mentioned the reasons. Why is it infamous? I don't have problems with them.
Feb 9, 2008
409 posts
332 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
alpovs wrote: I read this several times but nobody ever mentioned the reasons. Why is it infamous? I don't have problems with them.
They have several shady practices that pissed people off.
There are plenty of sites that list issues, like taking domains hostage, selling people's personal domains to a company who wanted the name, sexist ads, CEO killing elephants, etc.
No idea on credibility, etc. but some of the more practical complaints are related to their control panel interface design.
https://www.hasoptimization.com/2019/01/godaddy-possibly-the-worst-web-hosting-company-available/
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8898 posts
6596 upvotes
SW ON
zerod wrote: They have several shady practices that pissed people off.
There are plenty of sites that list issues, like taking domains hostage, selling people's personal domains to a company who wanted the name, sexist ads, CEO killing elephants, etc.
No idea on credibility, etc. but some of the more practical complaints are related to their control panel interface design.
https://www.hasoptimization.com/2019/01/godaddy-possibly-the-worst-web-hosting-company-available/
The article in your link is definitely written by competitors. I don't see anything negative in it. Many registrars have introductory pricing for domains, then they charge regular prices after the first year. Many registrars try to upsell some optional services. Just ignore.

"GoDaddy’s Email Is Garbage". I don't know what's up with that. I have used their email for over a decade. I would have switched long ago if it was garbage. In fact, I periodically look for other email providers but could not find any that would offer as much flexibility for the same price (unlimited storage, 5 primary accounts and 500+ forwarding accounts, IMAP etc.). I noticed that many businesses use their email service. If you see secureserver.net in the email headers it's them.

"GoDaddy Likes to Hold Domains for Ransom". I didn't know about this feature but I find it very useful and positive. "If you ever have a domain with GoDaddy, forget to pay, or simply let it expire, say bye-bye to that domain… It’s now owned by GoDaddy, who might let you have it back if you want to pay some exorbitant amount of money for it. The domain doesn’t simply just expire, like with many other hosts, and go back into the pool of unused domain names. Instead GoDaddy scoops it up, offers it to you with an “expiration fee” (of $80). They can and will hold the domain, put it up for auction, and hope someone else will grab it."

LOL! If you don't pay for a domain you can definitely say bye-bye to it and someone else will buy it and there will be no way back. What they do is actually very helpful - for $80 I can get it back. Is $80 an "exorbitant amount of money"? LOL, I don't know who wrote that but they definitely lost credibility here.

And I don't understand how supporting the Stop Online Piracy Act is a bad thing. And hunting where it's not illegal, is it bad too? Many people hunt in Canada. Besides, how is it relevant?

So, it seems clear now that people who don't use GoDaddy hate them for some reason. People who use their services don't' have problems with them. Nobody who has actual experience with them replied to my question.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38325 posts
11873 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I moved all my hosting to Canada, it costs more than the cheap US providers. But I don't like the fact that US based hosting providers will turn over all you email if the Feds ask for it.
alpovs wrote: "GoDaddy Likes to Hold Domains for Ransom". I didn't know about this feature but I find it very useful and positive. "If you ever have a domain with GoDaddy, forget to pay, or simply let it expire, say bye-bye to that domain… It’s now owned by GoDaddy, who might let you have it back if you want to pay some exorbitant amount of money for it. The domain doesn’t simply just expire, like with many other hosts, and go back into the pool of unused domain names. Instead GoDaddy scoops it up, offers it to you with an “expiration fee” (of $80). They can and will hold the domain, put it up for auction, and hope someone else will grab it."

LOL! If you don't pay for a domain you can definitely say bye-bye to it and someone else will buy it and there will be no way back. What they do is actually very helpful - for $80 I can get it back. Is $80 an "exorbitant amount of money"? LOL, I don't know who wrote that but they definitely lost credibility here.
1on1 Hosting did this to me. I now keep my hosting provider and my registrar separate.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8898 posts
6596 upvotes
SW ON
Gee wrote: I moved all my hosting to Canada, it costs more than the cheap US providers. But I don't like the fact that US based hosting providers will turn over all you email if the Feds ask for it.
I think it's very naive to think that Canadian providers wouldn't turn all the info they have if the US Feds ask. Just look at the story of Meng Wanzhou or Kim Dotcom. If you don't want this to happen you need a provider outside the Five Eyes or better not in the Fourteen Eyes countries.

Besides, regular email travels unencrypted between mail servers. It's scanned by PRISM (surveillance program) anyway.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38325 posts
11873 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
alpovs wrote: I think it's very naive to think that Canadian providers wouldn't turn all the info they have if the US Feds ask. Just look at the story of Meng Wanzhou or Kim Dotcom. If you don't want this to happen you need a provider outside the Five Eyes or better not in the Fourteen Eyes countries.

Besides, regular email travels unencrypted between mail servers. It's scanned by PRISM (surveillance program) anyway.
You’re probably right, but the chance of just bending over from another country will not be as easy as a provider from the US that just hands it over blindly

… that’s my hope

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)