Home & Garden

Need a new dishwasher - thinking of Bosch - ya or na?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2022 5:33 am
[OP]
May 10, 2011
112 posts
43 upvotes
GRIMSBY

Need a new dishwasher - thinking of Bosch - ya or na?

Our Samsung dishwasher has gone kaput and the cost and availability of facts is such that we might as well get a new dishwasher. Our repair guy recommended a Whirlpool brand and not Samsung/LG. Even Bosch was "well they are nicely made but they have a lot of electronics that can go wrong".

Looking at the base models, most of them start in the $800-$900, so a decent one is at least $1,000 - which is a bit but we want it to last.
59 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2079 upvotes
Markham
I have a Bosch. Been running it every other 2 days for the last 5 years. No problem.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
2016 posts
885 upvotes
Elgin, ON
I've been very happy with the Whirlpool units that have been in my last two homes. Super quiet, and clean way better than the older units I've dealt with in the past.
Jan 11, 2007
540 posts
155 upvotes
GTA
Ya. Bosch bought 11 years ago. Still running with no problems.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
4224 posts
560 upvotes
Toronto
Have a Bosch 800 series and no issues either, running on average every 2nd day last year and half.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2886 posts
1006 upvotes
Go with Bosch, we got a Frigidaire and i highly regret this, its so very very cheaply built it screams garbage. For the same price we could have bought a bosch entry level series. Dont even consider something else.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2268 posts
1327 upvotes
GTA
+1 for Bosch. Had a Whirlpool before for about 15 years, but it was like a jet engine when it ran. Been using Bosch since and super happy with it.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2021
1006 posts
710 upvotes
Toronto
I have a Bosch. 8 years old. Was running fine until about 2 months ago when there seems to be a problem with the soap dispenser. It was not releasing the dishwasher soap. I checked some Youtube videos, learned how to clean it out thoroughly. I also started using the tabs instead of powdered soap. Now it kind of works, will clean the bottom rack OK but the top rack is sort of hit and miss, will clean about 1/2 of dishes in the top rack. I saw on Youtube that I can order a new soap dispenser and try to install it. Looks a bit tricky and it might or might not fix the problem. Anyways, looking at the big picture here I am not displeased with Bosch - I think I got my money's worth since it worked 8 years without a problem. If I can't resolve the current problem with my dishwasher, I think I would go with another Bosch, in light of my own experience and other comments in the thread.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
3581 posts
942 upvotes
My old house ran a Bosch dishwasher for 9 years running every second day. Thing ran like a champ until I sold the place.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7799 posts
6235 upvotes
Ottawa
Our old (made in Germany) Bosch lasted 10 years before it leaked and needed to be scrapped. Our current Miele is at 11 years and still going strong. Between these two brands, it comes down to features and price.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
2028 posts
270 upvotes
Mississauga
have a bosch 800 series from back in 2012/2013...we run it every night (full house).

The only thing i've had to change is the door springs...they are put together with a nylon ropes which wears away and snaps...causing the door to drop straight down....this has happened twice...easy fix
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1568 posts
1342 upvotes
Etobicoke
+2....or is it 8 for Bosch. I went from a whirlpool to a Bosch. It is great, Next one will be a Bosch too
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3788 posts
2325 upvotes
Woodbridge
Please check your PM.
pardnme wrote: have a bosch 800 series from back in 2012/2013...we run it every night (full house).

The only thing i've had to change is the door springs...they are put together with a nylon ropes which wears away and snaps...causing the door to drop straight down....this has happened twice...easy fix
HVAC Pro-Committed to customer, not brand. Past RFD Reviews
2022 Central Air Conditioner & Furnace Group Buy
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1201 posts
805 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
. Every dishwasher made is full of electronics. There are no mechanical controls these days on any large appliance regardless of it having touch pads or dials.
Jan 23, 2017
88 posts
51 upvotes
GTA
I also have an entry level Bosch and no complaints here.

I would take the repair guys comment about Bosch with a grain of salt....he may get more calls to fix Bosch because so many people have them. The overall percentage that breakdown maybe very small. I'd take more what CR says and folks that have had Bosch for a long time.
Aug 4, 2013
66 posts
76 upvotes
CaptSmethwick wrote: Our old (made in Germany) Bosch lasted 10 years before it leaked and needed to be scrapped. Our current Miele is at 11 years and still going strong. Between these two brands, it comes down to features and price.
It was a toss up between higher end Bosch or higher end Miele (both about the same price) when we renovated our kitchen.

Miele won out since Bosch did not have the inside door tracks for the lowest pull out rack. This rack kept twisting off the door and had to be straightened out. With a rack of dishes this would be annoying.

Miele had the track and other features that won out. Running strong for 7 years 2 -3 loads per week without any problems. Entry level Miele were also better than entry level Bosch imo.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2079 posts
2278 upvotes
Toronto
We have a bosch 800 series for 6 years now and run it every day with zero issues. We bought it as we had a previous dishwasher and while it worked well it was as loud as a thrashing machine.

With an renovated, open concept we wanted something super quiet. The Bosch 800 series has been phenomenal, cannot even hear it when it runs.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2878 posts
222 upvotes
Burlington
Previously working in the field, Bosch is generally one of the most sought after units for dishwashers. You're repair guy talking about "a lot of electronics" seems a bit narrow minded since basically they all have a lot of electronics.

But going on general recommendations Bosch is leading the pack at the excellence level in consumer reports. You don't need to spend an arm and a leg on the high end models unless there's a feature you like.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7353 posts
3066 upvotes
Another vote for Bosch here.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)