Home & Garden

Need a new dishwasher - thinking of Bosch - ya or na?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2021 8:30 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3973 posts
3156 upvotes
Ottawa
We have an entry model Bosch ($500) just more than 10 years old now, never an issue and we use it a few times a week. Bosch DW is like Toyota for cars Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes I believe Costco sells Bosch DW too, check them out.

Clean your filter often, don't let food block and clog the pump, simple maintenance goes a long way. I'm ready to fix it if something goes wrong with so many YT videos for Bosch DW, already watched a handful.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2434 posts
1267 upvotes
Edmonton
20 year old Miele, runs every day. No issues, except for an aged filter basket needing replacement. So quiet you’ll open it not knowing it’s running. Bosch is a very close second.
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Nov 13, 2019
287 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
Do the Bosch dishwashers have an auto open feature when it's done the cycle?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
22644 posts
3259 upvotes
Out west
MOved to a house with a Rebadged Bosch, is a Kenmore Elite.

No issues since weve been here almost 3 years, not sure of the age, but when did Sears close since its a Kenmore

Its the quitest dishwasher we have ever owned. And I bought all Kitchenaid Stainless steel tall tubs that were quiet that last 20 years in every house, and this one beats them all hands down

We have to put a sticky note on it when its running so someone doesnt open it accidently to put a dish in

If it dies tomorrow, Id buy one again.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
6158 posts
3675 upvotes
Ottawa
harbottle wrote: It was a toss up between higher end Bosch or higher end Miele (both about the same price) when we renovated our kitchen.

Miele won out since Bosch did not have the inside door tracks for the lowest pull out rack. This rack kept twisting off the door and had to be straightened out. With a rack of dishes this would be annoying.

Miele had the track and other features that won out. Running strong for 7 years 2 -3 loads per week without any problems. Entry level Miele were also better than entry level Bosch imo.
Wow - ours runs at least one load a day - probably more like 10 loads a week. A Miele tech once told us that their dw's are engineered to last at least 10,000 cycles - our Miele is now way past that point (they can pull the data directly from the DW), yours wouldn't be close. Age and usage affects seals and mechanicals whereas age alone still has its impact but just not as damaging. Miele's electronics are very durable in my experience. You should have many many years of service ahead of you.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4095 posts
1228 upvotes
GTA
Our resale house came with a nearly brand new Samsung dishwasher and let me tell you it was a total POS. It was loud, did a terrible job of cleaning, and lasted maybe 3 years before it totally died (we were actually hoping it would've happened sooner so we could justify replacing it).

We went with a relatively entry level Bosch (<$1K) and couldn't be happier. We immediately noticed how much cleaner the dishes felt and it's a lot more quiet. Note that the inner capacity is a bit smaller then what you may be used to.

We've had it now for 4-5 years and run it six nights a week and knock on wood not a single issue.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2004
4107 posts
651 upvotes
Pickering, ON
Our 14 year old house came with a Bosch dishwasher. Had always read good things about them on here and so far no issues. Currently running it every 3 days.
[OP]
May 10, 2011
97 posts
40 upvotes
GRIMSBY
Or is Maytag okay? My mother-in-law heavily suggested not looking at one, but then my co-worker suggested that she's always had Maytag.

Or LG?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
22644 posts
3259 upvotes
Out west
Student88 wrote: Or is Maytag okay? My mother-in-law heavily suggested not looking at one, but then my co-worker suggested that she's always had Maytag.
Any dishwasher is ok. You can low end or high end. They will do what they are supposed to do, wash dishes.

All depends, you can spend $349 and have a loud one with no features, or spend $2000

To me the biggest thing I like is the sound, or lack of. I only hear the pump whir at the start, thats it, and thats barely. To me thats worth it right there

I know people that have dishwashers and you cant talk in the kitchen its so loud, or watch TV. Or they run it when no one is hime because its loud

The choice is youirs
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
11145 posts
5046 upvotes
Just moved into a house with all new Bosch appliances.

I will recommend everything BUT the fridge. POS!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6358 posts
3341 upvotes
Toronto
Student88 wrote: Or is Maytag okay? My mother-in-law heavily suggested not looking at one, but then my co-worker suggested that she's always had Maytag.

Or LG?
Not LG. Not for kitchen appliances.

Maytag and Whirlpool are if you want an okay dishwasher that might break but is probably not that difficult to fix when it breaks.

Bosch is if you want an actually very good dishwasher but if it breaks (I don't think failure is common at all, but of course it can happen to any machine) is probably going to cost more to fix because it's 'better'.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20073 posts
17939 upvotes
Eastern Ontario

Or LG?
Nothing wrong with a Maytag DW… vs Bosch or a Miele

It all depends on what you can afford … it’s like a car

Not everyone can afford the European ones … that are known to be more expensive & reliable

Some folks just buy a top of the line North American

Biggest difference between Maytag these days and other DWs is they continue to use a Food Chopper / Macerator in their machines (much like a sink’s Garburator ) … versus other machines that use a filtration system … where one must remove and spray clean the filters from time to time

So Maytags May be a tad noisier … but they don’t require much maintenance. And noise is subjective lots of Maytags coming in now in the 40s dBs

All our Maytag wet appliances (DW, Clothes Washer) have been great as far as longevity goes… decades of service everytime (20 years or more). Very happy with Maytag. Would definitely buy again … esp if there was a huge price difference between the top of a line Maytag and a top of the line Bosch / Miele

Money is money … sometimes something has to give

NOTE - Buying appliances at Costco is definitely a good plan. They are prob the best choice these days for Price, Guarantee, Warranty, Service etc
Aug 18, 2005
378 posts
51 upvotes
Have a Bosch 800 series that we bought last year to replace a Kitchenaid.

Cleans well, but drying performance isn’t the best. Water still accumulates on certain items which was never an issue for other dishwashers.

Probably because the Bosch is completely sealed instead of having vents. I think with Miele it automatically props the door ajar after the cycle.

We use it everyday. Went with Bosch because everyone raved about it. It’s good, but overrated I think. Will probably try Miele next time.
May 12, 2021
133 posts
61 upvotes
kevin_ wrote: Have a Bosch 800 series that we bought last year to replace a Kitchenaid.

Cleans well, but drying performance isn’t the best. Water still accumulates on certain items which was never an issue for other dishwashers.

Probably because the Bosch is completely sealed instead of having vents. I think with Miele it automatically props the door ajar after the cycle.

We use it everyday. Went with Bosch because everyone raved about it. It’s good, but overrated I think. Will probably try Miele next time.
Good point, all Bosch dishwashers have condensation drying rather that heat drying like most American brands with the heating element in the bottom.
Dec 12, 2007
809 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
Have a Bosch from a resale when I got the home.

It’s probably around 6-7 years old and runs very well and very quiet too!
[OP]
May 10, 2011
97 posts
40 upvotes
GRIMSBY
My wife would prefer one under $1,000 because her logic is if my brother's cheap Anama had no problems for 8 years then why should we buy a more expensive one.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17332 posts
7885 upvotes
A Bosch does have electronics and is more finicky than cheaper models. For example the Bosch has a bottom pan so when it leaks the water is collected and the pump turns on to pump it out. If you knocked off your high loop it would drain back, tripping the flood sensor and causing what appears to be a complicated problem (as it won't work until it drains the water). This could be what people refer to with more problems because there are more features.

Overall our Bosch has been great but I can see how it may have problems chea dishwashers do not as time passes. Plus, at $800 you are more likely to seek repair than a $400 one.
Aug 23, 2017
86 posts
16 upvotes
Calgary
I just got one of the 800 series as well. Those that have the 800 series, does the crystal dry function leave a film on the dishes/glasses? I find if I don't use this function, it doesn't dry that well?

McLaren wrote: Have a Bosch 800 series and no issues either, running on average every 2nd day last year and half.
Aug 23, 2017
86 posts
16 upvotes
Calgary
I believe some or most of the 500 series pop open after completion of cycle
timofeewho wrote: Do the Bosch dishwashers have an auto open feature when it's done the cycle?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
4197 posts
527 upvotes
Toronto
ryeguy252 wrote: I just got one of the 800 series as well. Those that have the 800 series, does the crystal dry function leave a film on the dishes/glasses? I find if I don't use this function, it doesn't dry that well?
I've only used it with the crystal dry function , i do fill it with the rinse aide jet dry. a few items on the 2nd and 3rd rack will have a tiny bit of water left ( ie - mugs and plastic kids plates on the 3rd shelf)