• May 20th, 2019 8:22 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5210 posts
4340 upvotes
Toronto

Need a new Lawnmower, any suggestions?

I need a new lawnmower, the Poulan Pro PR160Y21RDP I have is nearing its life after 7 years and numerous fixes, worked great first 4-5 years however.

Any suggestions or current deals? Something in $300 range and cheaper would be better. Just something to last a few years, with limited maintenance, as I may not need a lawnmower in a few years. Property size with lawn is kind of big at 500m squared, front + backyard. Looks like electric stuff is much cheaper, but don't think it would work in my case.

Thanks for any help.
26 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2627 posts
442 upvotes
the MTD with Honda engine at Costco, sells like for $399/$429 right now in store.

https://www.costco.ca/MTD-Gold-53.5-cm- ... 75024.html

We have an older model which I bought from Costco also, its been 15 years, the Honda engine always start with 1 pull, only change oil couple of times in the last 15 years and change spark plug once
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5210 posts
4340 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the suggestion, looks like it would work, however the price is a bit high. Since I see it has been on sale for $300-$350, but at $400 to $500 might be a bit much, since I am not 100% sure if I'll be staying at my place for more than a few years and may not need a mower in 2-3 years time, but I guess reselling is an option. I'll keep an eye out. Guessing there is no way to check stock/price at Costcos?

Any more suggestions welcome, thank you.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5210 posts
4340 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: Kijiji?
Yeah thanks for the suggestion, I looked earlier but didn't see anything that caught my eye. Plus I generally don't like to buy certain things used, because I figure there is a good chance to end up with a used broken lawnmower, no warranty and pay $100-$200. I'm not knowledgeable enough to fix one myself and having to pay someone to do further maintenance, feels like a waste of time and money, versus just buying a brand new one and returning it if there are issues within first few days-weeks.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33302 posts
6997 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Maybe you should consider buying a decent lawn mower for a little more money and then selling it on Kijiji when you’re ready to down size your home

I think you will have a better experience with a decent mower rather than a cheap one
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
zentro wrote: Yeah thanks for the suggestion, I looked earlier but didn't see anything that caught my eye. Plus I generally don't like to buy certain things used, because I figure there is a good chance to end up with a used broken lawnmower, no warranty and pay $100-$200. I'm not knowledgeable enough to fix one myself and having to pay someone to do further maintenance, feels like a waste of time and money, versus just buying a brand new one and returning it if there are issues within first few days-weeks.
Keep an eye on Kijiji, I picked up a brand new Honda mower, owner won it in a contest but they rent. So paid 250 for this thing, never even had gas in it. There are deals out there just gotta keep your eyes open.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16644 posts
6897 upvotes
I think if you're looking to spend $300 on a new mower and only want it to last a couple years you will be fine with any mower.

Canadian Tire for example has one on sale this week for $300:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/yard ... p.html#srp
Lowes has this one:
https://www.lowes.ca/lawn-mowers/crafts ... 47511.html
Home Depot has a bunch in your price range, with this one at $250:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/powers ... 1001088033

Just check CT/Lowes/HD/Walmart online and pick one you'd like. Costco is a good place to buy a mower but they generally only carry one model in store and it's going to be higher end. From the looks of it Home Depot has a lot of selection and with the current sales they may be the best choice (most powerful mower for $300) and they generally have a good return policy.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5210 posts
4340 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah Costco would be my ideal choice, because of the easy returns but they only have that MTD one and it doesn't seem to be on sale locally. But I'll be keeping my eye on it.

Another option is a cheap electric one, might be enough but I also see many reviews stating they only last like a year or two. Plus uncertain how well they store during winter.

More suggestions are welcome, thanks.
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1710 posts
909 upvotes
Toronto
zentro wrote: Interesting, I do have access to an outside plug and extension cords. Do you know, how well do electric mowers store in sheds during winter?
I've used the same corded mower for 15 years. It came with the house when we bought it and I was told it was 15 years old at that time. Sounds like an airplane taking off when I hit the ON button but it still works perfectly. Has been stored in an outdoor space for 30 years.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18826 posts
2424 upvotes
Out west
I honestly think when my gas mower dies, I will go to a good reel mower. Moving from out of the city my current lawn is nothing to what I used to have. No gas to get, no oil changes, no winterizing.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5210 posts
4340 upvotes
Toronto
I've been watching some videos on reel mowers, there is both manual push and gas powered. Kind of interesting for a manual push one, I bet you'd get a good work out or a back injury Face With Tears Of Joy I think reel mowers are mostly designed for very low grass and frequent use.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9984 posts
1868 upvotes
Toronto
zentro wrote: Interesting, I do have access to an outside plug and extension cords. Do you know, how well do electric mowers store in sheds during winter?
This one is not a big footprint. You can detach the handles and store it upright at the back of your garage wall.

Or if it's in a shed, get a big plastic bag (thick one) and bag the entire thing then shed it.

$200 only
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9984 posts
1868 upvotes
Toronto
hoponpop wrote: I've used the same corded mower for 15 years. It came with the house when we bought it and I was told it was 15 years old at that time. Sounds like an airplane taking off when I hit the ON button but it still works perfectly. Has been stored in an outdoor space for 30 years.
30 yrs? Wow Kobalt sure ain't getting any new sales so far hehe nice.
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1710 posts
909 upvotes
Toronto
Granted, my "lawn" is teeny-weeny but my ELECTROMULCH is still a beast.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5842 posts
2210 upvotes
GTEH!
WikkiWikki wrote: I honestly think when my gas mower dies, I will go to a good reel mower. Moving from out of the city my current lawn is nothing to what I used to have. No gas to get, no oil changes, no winterizing.
zentro wrote: I've been watching some videos on reel mowers, there is both manual push and gas powered. Kind of interesting for a manual push one, I bet you'd get a good work out or a back injury Face With Tears Of Joy I think reel mowers are mostly designed for very low grass and frequent use.
Just bought a reel mower off kijiji, brand new still in the box. These new reel mowers are VERY easy to push & cuts the grass very well, compared to ones 30 years ago. And they are super quiet.
I've had gas and electric mowers (recently stopped working) and just got tired of both types - gas, oil, spark plugs, extension cord,etc.
Decided to go back to old school grass cutting. And getting a little exercise mowing the lawn.

update: Took a few passes, but was able to trim down my long grass to a manageable height using my new Reel mower. Not as tough as I thought it would be. Now I'm good for the rest of the Spring/Summer season.
😎
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2008
1127 posts
339 upvotes
Webhead wrote: Just bought a reel mower off kijiji, brand new still in the box. These new reel mowers are VERY easy to push & cuts the grass very well, compared to ones 30 years ago. And they are super quiet.
I've had gas and electric mowers (recently stopped working) and just got tired of both types - gas, oil, spark plugs, extension cord,etc.
Decided to go back to old school grass cutting. And getting a little exercise mowing the lawn.

update: Took a few passes, but was able to trim down my long grass to a manageable height using my new Reel mower. Not as tough as I thought it would be. Now I'm good for the rest of the Spring/Summer season.
What brand/model and how much did you end up paying for it? I am looking at this one . According to camel camel camel it fell to as low as $60 earlier this year.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5842 posts
2210 upvotes
GTEH!
barricuda wrote: What brand/model and how much did you end up paying for it? I am looking at this one . According to camel camel camel it fell to as low as $60 earlier this year.
Fiskars Staysharp Plus. ended up negotiating for $160. Regular price at Home Depot is $248:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/fiskar ... 1000719585

Kijiji seller bought another Fiskar reel mower, Staysharp Max. (small wheels in front, big wheels in back): https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/fisk ... p.html#srp
Seller said this 1 also works very well cutting grass.

Seller missed the return period for the 1 I bought from them. I was lucky as I was looking for this and seller wanted to clear it out from their garage.
😎