• Sep 4th, 2020 11:24 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
2113 posts
718 upvotes
Kleinburg, ON.

Need a new PC barebones, please recommend

With life and running a business, I don't have time to research on what's current and what's upcoming to consider.. so I'm seeking your expertise.

I built myself a PC 9 years ago, it's outdated. Runs applications and everything else I'm currently doing without a hitch. 16GB of RAM, 250GB SSD for the O/S and office applications, and various other mechanical HDD that adds up to about 4TB altogether, Intel i5 2500K on a 650w modular PSU... (I know! Ancient!)

However, I would like to update it. I just need a new motherboard, RAM, CPU and video card. Maybe soundcard, although to be honest, my Audigy 2ZS on PCI bus is just fine as well so if your suggestion of a mobo can still handle it, please let me know.

I plan on cannibalizing the case, the 650 watt modular PSU, and the large mechanical hard drives, and keeping the 250GB SSD for the O/S Windows 10. Prefer to keep sound card. Have mechanical keyboard, and wireless mouse already with dual monitors.

Setting budget of $600-$800.

What can I get? Not looking to do heavy PC gaming, some light gaming maybe, low to mid-range. Please offer any suggestions I should consider with that in mind. Thanks! :)
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3482 posts
857 upvotes
No heavy gaming? For light/moderate then just add a decent video card in your current system and see how it performs. I assume you're on something like a Gefore 5XX/6xx and radeon 6XXX? the i5 2500k is still fairly capable for alot of tasks, basically what you're using now is "low range" nowadays. With a $600-800 budget for CPU/Motherboard/Ram/Video card. Might be able to do a R5 3600 + B550 board + 16gb ram + 1660super. That'll be the high end of your budget. Might be able to save a $100 of you go down to a R3 3300X ( if you can find one... ) . Current i5 and i3 equivalent should be similar price.

If you are going to a whole new platform. I doubt you'll be able to keep your Audigy 2ZS since it is a PCI card? No new platforms in the last 8years + have had PCI slots on their motherboards. Surprised they even have windows 10 drivers for it.

Another way to squeeze every last ounce of performance out of your current system is Overclocking your 2500k if you have a Z series motherboard. Or if you can score a i7 2700K or i7 3770K for cheap ( Less than $100 lower the better .... )
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
2113 posts
718 upvotes
Kleinburg, ON.
coilz wrote: No heavy gaming? For light/moderate then just add a decent video card in your current system and see how it performs. I assume you're on something like a Gefore 5XX/6xx and radeon 6XXX? the i5 2500k is still fairly capable for alot of tasks, basically what you're using now is "low range" nowadays. With a $600-800 budget for CPU/Motherboard/Ram/Video card. Might be able to do a R5 3600 + B550 board + 16gb ram + 1660super. That'll be the high end of your budget. Might be able to save a $100 of you go down to a R3 3300X ( if you can find one... ) . Current i5 and i3 equivalent should be similar price.

If you are going to a whole new platform. I doubt you'll be able to keep your Audigy 2ZS since it is a PCI card? No new platforms in the last 8years + have had PCI slots on their motherboards. Surprised they even have windows 10 drivers for it.

Another way to squeeze every last ounce of performance out of your current system is Overclocking your 2500k if you have a Z series motherboard. Or if you can score a i7 2700K or i7 3770K for cheap ( Less than $100 lower the better .... )
I am completely ok with replacing the sound card, it is the oldest component I have lol.. it's time to put it out to pasture.

I had no idea the i5 2500K is considered low end and still in contention these days, wow... What graphics card then would this CPU be able to fully take advantage of these days then? I have a Asus P8P67 LE, I believe it has some OC capabilities, never really pushed it beyond stock in the years I've had it.

I was looking at the exact combo you recommended too with the R5 3600 etc. but not the B550 board, seems a bit higher end?
cyder wrote: in hot deals there is a pc at bestbuy for $500, add an SSD and you are good, total memory would be lower, I think the tower is smaller so it cant support as many drives.
Thanks, I took a look. It's integrated graphics though on that for $500. I would gut the components and transplant it to a new case if I even considered buying that.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3482 posts
857 upvotes
JKKim2983 wrote: I am completely ok with replacing the sound card, it is the oldest component I have lol.. it's time to put it out to pasture.

I had no idea the i5 2500K is considered low end and still in contention these days, wow... What graphics card then would this CPU be able to fully take advantage of these days then? I have a Asus P8P67 LE, I believe it has some OC capabilities, never really pushed it beyond stock in the years I've had it.

I was looking at the exact combo you recommended too with the R5 3600 etc. but not the B550 board, seems a bit higher end?

Thanks, I took a look. It's integrated graphics though on that for $500. I would gut the components and transplant it to a new case if I even considered buying that.
I've found most built in sound cards that comes with almost all motherboards are adequate for my needs, I am no audophile so I am not that picky with audio.

I'd say something like a GTX 1660/ RX 5600 would pair well with a i5 2500k... in fact the i5 might even hold these video cards back a little. But at least it'll be easily transplantable to a new machine if you find performance inadequate. Besides, thats the level you'll aim for for "mid range" video card anyways. Will have to see how the new 3000 series video cards affect the mid/low end video cards since that end of the line will not be introduced till later in the year.

B550 is a good idea now since they've been out a few months now and they should be readily available. It'll also ensure upgrade path to potentially two more generations of Ryzen CPU ( 4000 and 5000 series.. well 4000 series is 100% sure.. 5000 series probably 90% ?)
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1628 posts
137 upvotes
JKKim2983 wrote:
There are some posts in that thread with people adding a video card to it, they give the dimensions that can fit and I believe listed the PS it does use.
Wasn't really sure how much gaming you were planning, or how much it is really capable of, looks decent for $500+ a vid card.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5227 posts
1922 upvotes
Debtario
Respect for the Audigy 2ZS, I was also rocking one till a few years ago along with a PCI TV tuner that still works great in my i5-4670 build. Onboard sound has come a long way, though I gave up the audigy for a DAC/AMP mainly for the amp feature.

A Ryzen 5 3600, B450 mobo, and 16GB DDR4 will be great for you, add in a NVME SSD + decent GPU and you'll be laughing.. If you don't have any aspirations of upgrading your CPU soon I'd not bother with the B550 boards, seeing how long you went with the i5-2500 I'm confident the 3600 would last you another decade considering your usage.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
2113 posts
718 upvotes
Kleinburg, ON.
cyder wrote:
There are some posts in that thread with people adding a video card to it, they give the dimensions that can fit and I believe listed the PS it does use.
Wasn't really sure how much gaming you were planning, or how much it is really capable of, looks decent for $500+ a vid card.
Thanks! I'll take a look at it again. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a GTX 1660 for the time being, providing some minor future proofing for a couple to a few years more. I don't game too much on PC, at the immediate front looking at Jedi Fallen Order, I may check out COD games in the near future. I can't stand twitchy shooters on console gaming. Though PS5 is around the corner, I have a 50/50 chance of even buying one with the way Sony has decided to roll it out this time with random raffle based on PSN ID activity... ugh....
M1K3Z0R wrote: Respect for the Audigy 2ZS, I was also rocking one till a few years ago along with a PCI TV tuner that still works great in my i5-4670 build. Onboard sound has come a long way, though I gave up the audigy for a DAC/AMP mainly for the amp feature.

A Ryzen 5 3600, B450 mobo, and 16GB DDR4 will be great for you, add in a NVME SSD + decent GPU and you'll be laughing.. If you don't have any aspirations of upgrading your CPU soon I'd not bother with the B550 boards, seeing how long you went with the i5-2500 I'm confident the 3600 would last you another decade considering your usage.
Has onboard really come a long way? I have no idea. I recall back in early 2011 onboard sound wasn't as good, didn't have the EAX presets that the Audigy 2ZS has. I do watch a lot of movies with 5.1/7.1 audio so hence why I mostly stayed away from onboard sound in the past.

I'm very interested in seeing what Black Friday deals will bring this year for the big upgrade. So I may hold off on the mobo+cpu+ram+nvme SSD until then and go with a new graphics card for now. Thanks for the advice, my dude!