• Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2019 8:55 am
[OP]
Sep 1, 2018
81 posts
90 upvotes

Need new phone for US trip - whats my best option

Hi all,

I'm going to hike the PCT in 2020, expecting to be in the US from april to late september.

My current phone : 2016 LG G5. It makes great photos but is full of bloatware from LG so the battery drains FAST ! (I need to charge it 2x a day + it's a small battery to begin with).

My current plan : Nothing fancy, BYOD from fido website with 4 GB data. More than enough right now since I have wi-fi everywhere.

What I need for this thru-hike : Last time I did the Appalachian Trail in 2017, I went to AT&T and signed up for prepaid plan. I think it's still the way to go in 2020. But since I want a better phone to take better picture and have a good battery life, I don't know what is my best option from here. I need a phone that will work in the US and Canada ... but will be on a US plan for a few months than a Canadian plan for the next couple years.

What would you recommend me ? Thanks all!
4 replies
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
21740 posts
24883 upvotes
Toronto
"take better picture and have a good battery life"

For Apple, the iPhones have very decent cameras and battery life quite good

For Android, Pixel 3A or 3A XL also solid choices

If I were you however, I'd take a proper standalone camera and a decent rugged phone instead. Something like the Doogee S95

https://www.doogeemall.com/en/buy/s95pr ... YQAvD_BwEv
"I felt a great disturbance at KFC as if millions of chickens suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." RFD user stephroll
Mar 14, 2017
169 posts
71 upvotes
Just about any phone will work nowadays - Samsung, Apple, Google Pixel, Nokia, Motorola, Oneplus, etc. It's more of a matter of features vs. price.

Also, your phone's battery degrades over time; thus it may not be LG bloatware that is the cause of shorter battery life (but personally I don't like bloatware on phones either - hence I use Pixel).
[OP]
Sep 1, 2018
81 posts
90 upvotes
sprung wrote: "take better picture and have a good battery life"

If I were you however, I'd take a proper standalone camera and a decent rugged phone instead. Something like the Doogee S95
Thanks for your input. Some people do that but since hiking for months has a lot to do with weight (and every gram counts) I would prefer to just use a cell phone.

But my question has also to do with deal and pricing. If person With a 2-3 years plan, they often get a great deal on the phone (free or cheap for a flagship).
Since I will be away for a few months, that would be a bad idea to get a 2-3 years plan because I would be paying 50$-ish a month for nothing.

So what is my best option. Buy a 800$ phone than get a prepaid plan in the US ?
[OP]
Sep 1, 2018
81 posts
90 upvotes
XeniaOnatopp wrote: Just about any phone will work nowadays - Samsung, Apple, Google Pixel, Nokia, Motorola, Oneplus, etc. It's more of a matter of features vs. price.

Also, your phone's battery degrades over time; thus it may not be LG bloatware that is the cause of shorter battery life (but personally I don't like bloatware on phones either - hence I use Pixel).
Thanks for the info. Yes I noticed the battery discharge slightly faster than before but it seems like a comon problem for LG G5. It's sad because it compares very good to 250$ phones of today (554 ppi screen, 18w fast charge). If there was a way to remove bloatware than I would keep the phone and voila!