Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2010
1728 posts
2174 upvotes
Earth

Need a non data phone, great battery life, and a cheap (prepaid?) plan

Suggestions?
Zoomer: 1 account for family and planning to leave for good in 2023
Koodo too: for a phone and locked to 24 months but was a good deal.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
1438 posts
619 upvotes
Careful -- the old Nokias might not work anymore due to repurposed spectrum. Sadly I have many of those that became bricks this year. Was using these old phones on 7-11 Speakout/Rogers.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1470 posts
1294 upvotes
Toronto
Get a blackberry 10 device. Semi-smart phone, and works flawlessly with our Canadian networks for now.
The Golden Rule: those who have the gold, make the rules
Aug 30, 2012
184 posts
96 upvotes
Make sure whichever phone you get will be able to receive 3G or higher service otherwise sim may not work with your provider....4G would be better as will work for longer time as providers eliminate the slower services.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1470 posts
1294 upvotes
Toronto
ji2o0k wrote: +2!!

Can pick up a BB Classic or Z30 for cheeeeepppzzzzzzzz!!
Me and my staff use them exclusively for email 'protection'.

Meaning, if you accidentally or intentionally open up a malicious attachment or click a bogus link on your blackberry 10 device - nothing happens! Your email contacts, computer, etc are all safe and won't get infected.

Also, I love the qwerty experience!

Grab them cheap on kijiji, or wait a couple of months via aliexpress/ebay ONLY via PayPal so you have assurance incase the phone arrives messed up or password locked.

Gold/white Q10, blue or white classics, and Porsche Design blackberry's are all sexy devices.
The Golden Rule: those who have the gold, make the rules
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24666 posts
8737 upvotes
Toronto
pererac wrote: Me and my staff use them exclusively for email 'protection'.

Meaning, if you accidentally or intentionally open up a malicious attachment or click a bogus link on your blackberry 10 device - nothing happens! Your email contacts, computer, etc are all safe and won't get infected.

Also, I love the qwerty experience!

Grab them cheap on kijiji, or wait a couple of months via aliexpress/ebay ONLY via PayPal so you have assurance incase the phone arrives messed up or password locked.

Gold/white Q10, blue or white classics, and Porsche Design blackberry's are all sexy devices.
dang, I've found my kindred spirit!!!

I love the BB10 devices - esp. the BB passport (which I still rock a Red one for my daily driver!!). I also only prefer the QWERTY PKB - nothing feels better than clacking away on the keyboard!

The BB10 hub is awesome - wayyy better than the fake hub on BB Android.....

I do give a nod to the Z30 with its legendary Paratek antenna & awesome dualie speakers...........thing is great for hotspotting or going up to some remote area with low reception!

Another source for cheapie old Blackberry devices is ebay but only buy from reputable sellers!