• Jul 6th, 2020 2:43 pm
[OP]
Jan 9, 2010
18 posts
13 upvotes
Markham

Need recommend: furnace replacement 2200square feet

HI everrone,
my house is around 20years old, the furnace currently working fine, except last winter when outside weather were extremely cold(-15 degrees)
furnace seems doesn't have enough power to get house warm enough.
The roof insulation, and window seal(crocking? )
have not done anything for the pass twenty years
now I am think to get furnace replace, as well as roof insulation.

I heard there is an energy rebate(ON ) when you replace the furnace, and some other efficiency home equipment renovate. But in order to get this rebate, applicant need to pay $600+ tax fee for it?

also,what is the brand recommend?
so far
I got Carrier dealer quote $4300(furnace only) tax in and labour in and with one ecobee
machine is 60000BTU

also a private quote $2800 (furnace only) and $1.5/square ft for roof insulationfor brand name Good man 80000BTU

please get me some comment which brand is more reliable and recommendation for price?

thank you!
6 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11077 posts
4331 upvotes
You definitely have more than one issue going on here:

Attic insulation
Furnace - age/improper size/efficiency
Duct leaks
Air balance

If your changing the furnace now I'll recommend a Trane or Lennox. Search here in the forums there's a ton of info on this. Example: group-buy-2020-central-ac-trane-america ... 2362649/8/
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13086 posts
4694 upvotes
Ontario
You should not just get a bigger furnace just like that because you can run into big issues if its oversized for the home. We had a major issue with our furnace for the past 12 years because it was oversized (80,000btu) the furnace would turn off on very cold days in the winter & had many issues with it.

I replaced it last Nov & got an HVAC guy from RFD - @newlyborn you can read reviews from him here - new-furnace-time-2322131/15/

You need him or another good hvac tech to come to your home and check the home to see what size you currently have and if you need something bigger or not, this way you wont run into issues later.
cshan2 wrote: HI everrone,
my house is around 20years old, the furnace currently working fine, except last winter when outside weather were extremely cold(-15 degrees)

I heard there is an energy rebate(ON ) when you replace the furnace, and some other efficiency home equipment renovate. But in order to get this rebate, applicant need to pay $600+ tax fee for it?

so far
I got Carrier dealer quote $4300(furnace only) tax in and labour in and with one ecobee
machine is 60000BTU

also a private quote $2800 (furnace only) and $1.5/square ft for roof insulationfor brand name Good man 80000BTU

please get me some comment which brand is more reliable and recommendation for price?

thank you!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6249 posts
2889 upvotes
Durham
cshan2 wrote: HI everrone,

so far
machine is 60000BTU

thank you!
We had our 2006 builder model furnace (Goodman GM9S060B12UP11J 60000 BTU) changed in Oct. 2019 ...

We had it swapped out for a Lennox ML296UH070XV36B-55 Furnace (70000 BTU) for $2640 all in.

Second owner of the property. 1800 sq ft detached, two story, brick, with unfinished basement.

Also did the Attic Insulation with them for $350 all in.

Quality Breeze wanted me to change our 2006 builder model AC Unit (York AY024MA321A 2-Ton) but we didn't bother. Ended up this year it ran out of R22 ... so I found another guy to re-charge for $180 ... should last this summer and possibly next summer ... see if I can push the AC two more years before changing.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
[OP]
Jan 9, 2010
18 posts
13 upvotes
Markham
thanks for replying

any contact info? I would like to get quotation with it

insulation and furnace

thanks
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36162 posts
9425 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
One of the local favorite HVAC guys is Craig @fourseasoncomfort

There is an annual Air Conditioner group buy which I was fortunate to participate in a few years back. I have since used Craig a few times and he has never disappointed me.

group-buy-2020-central-ac-trane-america ... t-2362649/

It is an air condition group buy but he does sell furnaces too.

Here are the feedback from your fellow forum members

2014-2020-central-ac-furnace-feedback-1505477/
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6249 posts
2889 upvotes
Durham
cshan2 wrote: thanks for replying

any contact info? I would like to get quotation with it

insulation and furnace

thanks
Quality Breeze ... 416-439-0666 ... ask for Steven
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2