Need recommendations for adult learn to swim

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2019 1:48 am
[OP]
Nov 15, 2013
4 posts
Toronto

Need recommendations for adult learn to swim

I have been taking learn to swim classes off and on for a number of years. I decided that I am such a slow learner that I would take private lessons at a city of Toronto pool. Some instructors have been good, some average and others seem not experienced at all. In one session the instructor quit and I had a rotation of instructors not sure what to do. I go on my own during open swim to practice, but I am a very slow learner. I am looking for a reasonably priced facility familiar with teaching adults in private classes. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
195 upvotes
Markham, ON
My apologies in the delay in reply. I did not see your question until now.

I used to swim every summer. It is best to learn in a group. This way you can be placed to learn with people the same level as you. When I was a kid, during lessons time, the entire pool will be kids my age who swam better, worse, same as I. You will be assessed before they place you with a instructor. Each instructor will have a lane assigned and the students will practice whatever the instructor want them to do. You could be doing swimming drills, breathing exercises, racing, basically anything to help you learn proper swimming techniques. You are forced to swim because space is limited so everyone had to go round and round in circles and the instructor is watching and saying five more laps already. The instructor also correct bad forms. You have to listen and watch during demonstration and then practice in class. It's very different from recreational swim time by yourself.

One on one would not have the same benefit because you wouldn't see others. Sometimes I have to swim at the pace of others.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19243 posts
3361 upvotes
Toronto
I've been taking swimming lessons through the city and I've found the instructors are pretty useless for the most part. There are some good ones, but most of them are just lifeguards who don't really know how to teach, but who can evaluate your technique and give tips on improving once you actually know the fundamentals of moving around without drowning. I've been learning a lot from Youtube and random websites and just practicing in the water in class. The instructors help keep you from getting in trouble.

If you're looking for private one-on-one lessons, you'll probably have to sign up at one of these places: https://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2013 ... n_toronto/
Oct 12, 2014
622 posts
90 upvotes
North York, ON
I am also interested in taking private swimming lessons. Any suggestions for the east end?
Sep 14, 2013
4 posts
Calgary
I worked for a rec facility in Calgary for many years. We offered Adult Swim lessons for 3 levels. We also offered private lessons and assessments (these were free in my day). My advice to you would be, speak to the Aquatics Director at your facility. Tell them that you feel you could be doing better and explain what difficulties you are having and what teaching techniques work best for you. Ask if they have an instructor they think would be compatible and meet with that instructor to have an assessment. It may be something as simple as body positioning or stroke execution that is holding you back, and working on that one thing exclusively for awhile might help get you going. Good luck!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6140 posts
1995 upvotes
Thornhill
Poppwl wrote: My apologies in the delay in reply. I did not see your question until now.

I used to swim every summer. It is best to learn in a group. This way you can be placed to learn with people the same level as you.
COMPLETELY disagree!!! In 2nd and 3rd grade our school would go swimming once a week. I learned nothing in 2 years!! Fast Forward to me at 20. Joined a gym with a pool and I used to go at 4am to practice on my own with some video tutorials. Took me about 1 month of twice a week 4 am sessions before I can go from one end to another. Then it became better and better as my technique improved and I started to go in later, with other people.
I often use voice typing and rarely read what I had typed...