• Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2021 11:47 am
[OP]
Aug 7, 2013
978 posts
298 upvotes
GTA

Need Recommended Fence Builders - Received Outrageous Quote

So we have a reasonably large yard. Fence line measures at 37.5 Feet x 29 Feet x 54 Feet. I was just quoted $35k for 6x6 posts and pressure treated wood all around. Seems absolutely outrageous but with the price of lumber, who knows. Anyone have someone they could recommend in the Oakville area?

The other option is to have someone come and fix up some of the leaning panels. Unfortunately, along two of the three sides, they used 4x4 posts, only the back fence line has 6x6 posts.
14 replies
[OP]
Aug 7, 2013
978 posts
298 upvotes
GTA
Actually my measurements were way off as I was going based on a survey report I had but that only way from the end of the house to the back fence.

Total linear feet around entire perimeter is 265 feet all the way around.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6725 posts
2300 upvotes
GTA
35k is almost double what price should be even with covid lumber prices and 6x6 posts. You should be able to get the fence built 17-20 thou with a decent gate etc. We are talking basic 7 foot fence (6' fence boards with lattice top or 8' fence boards cut to 7' with no lattice)?
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11367 posts
2833 upvotes
Kingston
Sometimes contractors who are already busy will provide an outrageous quote and if you bite they will do it because at that price it is worth it to piss off other customers on their book.

Some people don't get more than one quote, accept the explanation as to why it is so high and "like the guy" (or something like that), so they accept the quote. Older folks seem to be especially vulnerable to this (like my Mom). Disappointed Face
[OP]
Aug 7, 2013
978 posts
298 upvotes
GTA
Zamboni wrote: 35k is almost double what price should be even with covid lumber prices and 6x6 posts. You should be able to get the fence built 17-20 thou with a decent gate etc. We are talking basic 7 foot fence (6' fence boards with lattice top or 8' fence boards cut to 7' with no lattice)?
Do you have anyone you would recommend? And yes, not looking for anything fancy, 8' fence boards with no lattice.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6725 posts
2300 upvotes
GTA
Jagstyles wrote: Do you have anyone you would recommend? And yes, not looking for anything fancy, 8' fence boards with no lattice.
No, I'm out east in Durham, mostly know contractors this area. Check with @Cybersid ...he is near you and had fencing done for a decent price this spring.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45561 posts
6045 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Double the price is their way of telling you, I have enough business as it is, but I'll take yours if you are willing to pay me more than street price.

Unless you really want this contractor, just find someone else. This is a common practice in the industry.
Nov 26, 2008
888 posts
544 upvotes
GTA
A neighbour got sick of high fence quotes with all the “fence builders.” He did some cold calling or was passed along a contact and found a few framers who were always cheaper.

It seems like a bit of a stretch but it paid off for him.

Good luck
Nov 9, 2005
954 posts
333 upvotes
Just FYI

Are cost $51 /sqft gate was $150 (3 selections to chose from) - 18 Houses

Across the street went for another vendor cost was $56/sqft - 18 Houses

ALL 6X6 Posts. So all in all - we are sharing the fence and the cost will be $25.50/sqft.

EDIT: Meant LINEAR FOOT not square foot.
Last edited by Cybersid on Jun 12th, 2021 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1861 posts
299 upvotes
East York, ON
DIY fence-quotes-new-normal-2453343/3/#p34412558
See a sample of what I did just above it
Just think about how long you are going to have to work for that money and you will end up realizing that putting some time in it it is worth the investment
I knew nothing about fences, I just used some YouTube videos. I had the tools though but you can still rend or buy from Kiiji
The most time consuming operations are :
-getting the old posts out of the ground -there is videos about these -use a chain and a jack and it will be a piece of cake (there is the option to offset the posts and leave the old concrete in the ground but it is more work that way)
-aligning the posts could be tricky but you will get it!
-disposing the old fence (you will pay 100 for a Uhaul track + gas and 100 to dispose the wood at one of the city's centers)
I did mine using screws, some preffer nails but mine was design so I can easily replace any board I do not like
Lots of crazy 💡
[OP]
Aug 7, 2013
978 posts
298 upvotes
GTA
Cybersid wrote: Just FYI

ALL 6X6 Posts. So all in all - we are sharing the fence and the cost will be $25.50/sqft.
Who did you use if you don't mind me asking? In this case, I suspect our price will be higher simply based on the fact it's just our house being done.
Nov 9, 2005
954 posts
333 upvotes
Jagstyles wrote: Who did you use if you don't mind me asking? In this case, I suspect our price will be higher simply based on the fact it's just our house being done.
Yes, if one house is done the cost is more for sure.

I will PM you the company name.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8807 posts
5765 upvotes
Kootenays
Cybersid wrote: Just FYI

You mean linear foot, not square foot, right?
Nov 9, 2005
954 posts
333 upvotes
smacd wrote: You mean linear foot, not square foot, right?
Sorry yes, linear foot.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

urbanshack