Home & Garden

Need referrals for installing interlock in a townhouse backyard (access through the house)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2020 10:23 pm
[OP]
Jul 17, 2018
46 posts
28 upvotes

Need referrals for installing interlock in a townhouse backyard (access through the house)

Hello to all landscape professionals who do business in Burlington, Ontario.

We have a small backyard all fenced. Currently, the only entrance is through the kitchen. The garage also has a door in the kitchen, so it is a possible way to bring equipment in the backyard.

The back fence is a black chain link type, backing in small forest that has footpaths. If we start by adding a gate in this fence, we could potentially bring equipment in that way.

If you know anyone interested in performing this job, let me know:

1. Add a gate to a chain link fence (all neighbours have one)
2. Provide a quote for installing interlock in the backyard.

Can provide pictures, if requested. PM me if you want to talk.

Many thanks!
28 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2003
1827 posts
358 upvotes
Hmm..who knows when the work ban will be lifted. It might be banned for the entire summer.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8833 posts
4502 upvotes
Paris
Singh_21 wrote: Hmm..who knows when the work ban will be lifted. It might be banned for the entire summer.
I doubt it, but I think a lot of companies still wont risk their employees.

This sounds like a nightmare of a job. Very manual of removing and lugging material in/out. Who do you have permission from to go into the forest with equipment?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
8571 posts
9277 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Singh_21 wrote: Hmm..who knows when the work ban will be lifted. It might be banned for the entire summer.
Wow! So helpful!
"It is in times of great fear or greed that the most opportunity exists."
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5079 posts
2278 upvotes
Pretty sure landscaping Is back to work as of May 4.
Permits required to bring equipment through the back property will be a roadblock though
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8833 posts
4502 upvotes
Paris
Red_Army wrote: Pretty sure landscaping Is back to work as of May 4.
Permits required to bring equipment through the back property will be a roadblock though
I know 2 companies that never stopped as they were essential but had one hell of a time getting people to actually work. One guy said they were at 60% when I saw him 2 weeks ago.

Construction will take a long while to recover, especially if economic things go downhill (job losses, access to credit)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5079 posts
2278 upvotes
Jerico wrote: I know 2 companies that never stopped as they were essential but had one hell of a time getting people to actually work. One guy said they were at 60% when I saw him 2 weeks ago.

Construction will take a long while to recover, especially if economic things go downhill (job losses, access to credit)
Ya I’ve seen “landscaping” going on all over as it falls under maintenance, but I don’t think interlocking jobs fell under that unless it had to do with safety
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2003
1827 posts
358 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: Pretty sure landscaping Is back to work as of May 4.
Yes landscaping is but not interlocking.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8833 posts
4502 upvotes
Paris
Red_Army wrote: Ya I’ve seen “landscaping” going on all over as it falls under maintenance, but I don’t think interlocking jobs fell under that unless it had to do with safety
Essential maintenance for some even.. older folks, condos, etc. My construction buddies are major players, not landscapers, working on roads, sewers, etc. All of their projects slowed down from social distancing (when its even possible) and a lot of guys dont want to work.

The new construction rules about not sharing tools are good, but what about the 2 port a potties for 20 guys on a site?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5079 posts
2278 upvotes
Singh_21 wrote: Yes landscaping is but not interlocking.
They aren’t very specific when they refer to what is covered under the landscaping umbrella. It’s not specified that grass cutting is the only thing they are allowed to do. (Maintenance was never shut down in the first place) What they do specify is that companies that do open must follow the covid guidelines.
Many “landscaping” companies do lawn maintenance and interlock, among other things. Its common within the industry that interlocking is considered as landscaping. Not sure how semantic the government is being, but being that they are trying to re-open the economy, I don’t see them splitting hairs. TBH I haven’t seen much if any enforcement in regards to anything other than large commercial jobs

Also , now is the time to get quotes as the surviving companies will be extremely busy when more bans get lifted
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2003
1827 posts
358 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: They aren’t very specific when they refer to what is covered under the landscaping umbrella. It’s not specified that grass cutting is the only thing they are allowed to do. (Maintenance was never shut down in the first place) What they do specify is that companies that do open must follow the covid guidelines.
Many “landscaping” companies do lawn maintenance and interlock, among other things. Its common within the industry that interlocking is considered as landscaping. Not sure how semantic the government is being, but being that they are trying to re-open the economy, I don’t see them splitting hairs. TBH I haven’t seen much if any enforcement in regards to anything other than large commercial jobs

Also , now is the time to get quotes as the surviving companies will be extremely busy when more bans get lifted
No reason to rush. Lot of people are laid off and have no jobs so not many people are looking to get the work done this year.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5079 posts
2278 upvotes
Singh_21 wrote: No reason to rush. Lot of people are laid off and have no jobs so not many people are looking to get the work done this year.
This is the exact reason to be getting quotes to get the work done sooner rather than later
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2003
1827 posts
358 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: This is the exact reason to be getting quotes to get the work done sooner rather than later
The effects of covid 19 will last beyond this and I anticipate more layoffs. The more pre orders these contractors get, good chance your deposit may be stuck with them for a while and they will up their price based on these pre bookings.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2638 posts
520 upvotes
Whitby
As an FYI - I have started getting quotes for interlock as of May 4 in the GTA and some are already booked until the fall.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2003
1827 posts
358 upvotes
raymondly wrote: As an FYI - I have started getting quotes for interlock as of May 4 in the GTA and some are already booked until the fall.
I don’t doubt it but it’s not the norm. This whole season will be cancellations after cancellations and many people hesitant to book. I know couple of guys working in the industry.