None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2003
1923 posts
347 upvotes
Toronto

Need review of Water Ridge Toilet from costco

Anyone recently purchase and use the toilets from Costco. They are the Water Ridge brand and comes in 1 piece or 2 piece. They have a white/green color box.
Looking for a review on the new ones as I read the old ones had problems with the flush.

I noticed the seat looked a bit small. Could be because it was placed in the open area. Are the seats smaller than other elongated brands in the market.

Thanks in advance.
21 replies
Sep 11, 2013
98 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
We have the two piece and I can honestly say that I have no real thoughts on it. It does what it supposed to do. Ours has the rounded bowl. The only thing I don't like is that the tank cover does not sit firmly in place.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
17925 posts
5850 upvotes
London
The one piece is a heavy sob. Its hard to drop into place with the wax seal on. In the box, there a few really thick cardboard pieces. Lower the toilet onto these pieces and then slide it around to line up the bolt holes . Gently tip the toilet to remove the cardboard and the toilet should drop right down onto the drain.

The toilet flushes well (as its 1000 MPA) but doesn't to a really job of cleaning the sides of the bowl
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2003
1923 posts
347 upvotes
Toronto
dpkozlov wrote: We have the two piece and I can honestly say that I have no real thoughts on it. It does what it supposed to do. Ours has the rounded bowl. The only thing I don't like is that the tank cover does not sit firmly in place.
How long ago did u put it in? The ones in-store are elongated. I saw pics from Aug 2013 taken at costco and the Item # are not the same.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2003
1923 posts
347 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote: The one piece is a heavy sob. Its hard to drop into place with the wax seal on. In the box, there a few really thick cardboard pieces. Lower the toilet onto these pieces and then slide it around to line up the bolt holes . Gently tip the toilet to remove the cardboard and the toilet should drop right down onto the drain.

The toilet flushes well (as its 1000 MPA) but doesn't to a really job of cleaning the sides of the bowl
Wanted one for the powder room. Will go with the 2 piece. Do you have any issues with flush continually running on your model?
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
17925 posts
5850 upvotes
London
samson wrote: Wanted one for the powder room. Will go with the 2 piece. Do you have any issues with flush continually running on your model?
Mine is fine. I believe Costco cleared out the problem models about spring 2013
Apr 9, 2012
472 posts
390 upvotes
I have 3 - 2 piece models in my home. One has been in for 18 mths, the next 12 & the newest just 2 & it replaced my 9 year old Toto (would not get that Toto again). All have worked perfectly & were simple to install. I have no idea how they compare for seat width to other models, but it isn't much different than the round version that the Toto had. I prefer the elongated version. No negatives about them whatsoever. The tank lids on mine sit properly, never had running water & no leaks. They are hard to beat for $84-89. The Toto was around $400 which I now regret paying & the Costco WaterRidge 2 piece models work better & use less water.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
17925 posts
5850 upvotes
London
What was wrong with the Toto? Its suppose to be the Toyota of toilets and priced like it
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2003
1923 posts
347 upvotes
Toronto
Mtnviewer wrote: I have 3 - 2 piece models in my home. One has been in for 18 mths, the next 12 & the newest just 2 & it replaced my 9 year old Toto (would not get that Toto again). All have worked perfectly & were simple to install. I have no idea how they compare for seat width to other models, but it isn't much different than the round version that the Toto had. I prefer the elongated version. No negatives about them whatsoever. The tank lids on mine sit properly, never had running water & no leaks. They are hard to beat for $84-89. The Toto was around $400 which I now regret paying & the Costco WaterRidge 2 piece models work better & use less water.

Thats interesting. A colleague of mine is so impressed with her recently purchased Toto that she got me a newspaper cutting with a TOTO sale that is going on currently in vaughan. Believe it is in todays Toronto Star.
Apr 9, 2012
472 posts
390 upvotes
I acknowledge that I didn't have the top of the line Toto, but there is no way that the $400+ Toto, plus wax ring & connecting hose, was worth the extra $300 over the Costco WaterRidge. When new, the Toto worked fine but I like how the WaterRidge works in comparison. The Toto slowly but finally would require more than one flush. After checking the obvious, I think it came down to hard water mineral deposits, perhaps under the rim, as the older 2 non Toto's that I replaced earlier with WaterRidge, seemed to do the same thing. If the WaterRidge ends up doing the same thing over the same time period then I'm only out $89 vs. $400+. Time will tell.

Things I like about the $89 WaterRidge over Toto. #1 Costco Warranty should I need it.

The WaterRidge cost between $84.95-89.95.
WaterRidge uses a siphon action, vs. Toto swirling the water around the bowl. I never knew how much I hated the swirling until I had a siphoning toilet.
The WaterRidge fills faster & is quieter.
The WaterRidge came with all parts needed.
The WaterRidge has soft closing seats!!! I love that. You pay extra to get that with a Toto.
I prefer the elongated design of the WaterRidge & again I would have had to pay extra for that with the Toto.
The WaterRidge uses less water being a dual flush. A dual flush Toto was $650+ back then (if memory is correct, but I know I couldn't afford it). I don't know how much a dual flush Toto would cost today. I could sort of get my Toto to do that with a quick throw of the handle, but it was hit or miss.
The WaterRidge & position design for my position, requires MUCH MUCH less cleaning than the Toto design & flushes cleaner.
The WaterRidge is $300+ less expensive!!!! and works better for me than the lower end Toto.

Time will tell if that continues, but for the same price over the lower end Toto that I could afford, I could buy 4 WaterRidge toilets, which I'd bet would last much longer in my use than the Toto did. I don't like doing that vs. fixing & recycling things, but the Toto in the end wasn't repairable either & parts were hard to find & expensive in rural BC where I am a 3 hour drive from the nearest city. Descaling either didn't work, or required a much much longer time period than I put in.

Anyway, all in all, after having both for long periods of use, the WaterRidge are to me worth $400+ & the Toto should have been $89. So I regret having had to spend $400+ on the Toto, however the WaterRidge wasn't an option 9 years ago.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2003
1923 posts
347 upvotes
Toronto
Mtnviewer wrote: Anyway, all in all, after having both for long periods of use, the WaterRidge are to me worth $400+ & the Toto should have been $89. So I regret having had to spend $400+ on the Toto, however the WaterRidge wasn't an option 9 years ago.
Thanks for the detailed analysis. I am going to give the WaterRidge 2-piece system a go. It is for the powder room and If it performs well, It will be a contender for the other 2 washrooms.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1837 posts
422 upvotes
I installed a 2 pc water ridge last July, and it was easy to install, and the throne does what it suppose to, I have no complaints.
Oct 18, 2013
597 posts
128 upvotes
Oshawa
I also was a victim of thinking Toto's were superior, I paid close to $600. for mine. I have had nothing but problems with it changing all internal parts 3 times and counting! Toilet is only 6 years old and is in our master bedroom bathroom.
Dec 23, 2007
860 posts
191 upvotes
Winnipeg
I got the toto drake in my main bathroom and love it. Works great.

Basement I just bought over the weekend the american standard cadet 3 from homedepot. Great reviews and I know a few people who own them. never a problem. Paid $175 at HD. They also make a american standard mainstream which has great reviews as well that sells for $109 at HD.

I would of bought a toto again but for the basement washroom it wasn't needed and for the price the cadet seemed fine. Never tired the Water Ridge from Costco but im always a little skeptical since its not a well know brand name like moen,delta,toto,american standard,kohler, etc.
May 28, 2012
11741 posts
4279 upvotes
Saskatoon
GeneP66 wrote: I also was a victim of thinking Toto's were superior, I paid close to $600. for mine. I have had nothing but problems with it changing all internal parts 3 times and counting! Toilet is only 6 years old and is in our master bedroom bathroom.
Our is older than that and we've never had any problems other than "cleaning" issues since it's a low-flush model.
Dec 22, 2012
233 posts
22 upvotes
I went out and purchased the two piece toilet from Costco yesterday because of this post. Thanks guys. Having them installed right now, will update with my thoughts after a few uses :D Haha.

Are there any advantages/disadvantages between the 2 piece/1 piece?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2003
1923 posts
347 upvotes
Toronto
Good Lord...Hope you didnt take the last piece :) . My contractor was suppose to pick one up as well. The one-piece is heavy afaik.

Please update us. The reviews from fellow rfders also helped me make up my mind.
Dec 22, 2012
233 posts
22 upvotes
samson wrote: Good Lord...Hope you didnt take the last piece :) . My contractor was suppose to pick one up as well. The one-piece is heavy afaik.

Please update us. The reviews from fellow rfders also helped me make up my mind.
Well, I like the way they look, haven't really taken them for a test drive yet but they're fully installed and operational now. Gave it the good old piss test but nothing more so far...

But they take up less space than my older toilets did which is nice as my bathrooms aren't big to begin with.

Really when it comes down to it this is a no-brainer for anyone looking for a new toilet.

I don't know about the fancy shmancy stuff but for what it's intended purposes are this will work just fine.

1. It's from Costco (You could probably take it with stains and they'd return it -- DONT DO THAT)
2. Soft closing lids are a nice touch especially with a toddler running around slamming the lid every chance he gets
3. It's under $100
4. Comes with everything you need to install.
5. Has dual flush

One thing I noticed is that the tank is not insulated... I thought all new tanks are insulated? Maybe I missed the insulation or something? Didn't have much time to look around it as I had to go.
Apr 9, 2012
472 posts
390 upvotes
No there is no in tank insulation. My Toto didn't have it either. No condensation where I live though & incoming water is very cold.

Only negative?, is the top seat when closed is NOT a good strong seat, nor strong enough to stand on.

Some folks like sitting on a closed toilet to groom or chat & the 2 piece WaterRidge seat will deform & maybe break under too much weight. Okay for small kids, not likely durable for adults.

But a heavier seat might not be able to soft close?
Nov 15, 2008
3 posts
Had to remove it from my upstairs bathroom. Water was pretty much raining onto my floor. Moved it to my basement where it doesn't get flushed a lot thus constantly not filling with ice cold water. Less humidity due to the lack of constant tub use. Bought a new toilet with a liner for upstairs. Other than that no other issues. If it had a liner 9/10. Lid pretty flimsy. Only had it two weeks. Will handle whatever you drop into it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)