Automotive

Need safety certified before selling my used car?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2018 2:49 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
2591 posts
199 upvotes
Markham

Need safety certified before selling my used car?

Well, trying to get rid of 2005 crv-ex with 150Km. Dealers are willing to pay around 3000 but private sellers on auto trade is about 5000.

What do I need to do sell it privately?
10 replies
Aug 21, 2010
154 posts
53 upvotes
toronto
no , you can just sell as is,,,,,no safety certified needed
just have to sign ownership over
Nov 16, 2011
935 posts
617 upvotes
HAMILTON
Safety not required if you sell As Is.

You will get more money and sell easier if you do certify it but, depending on repairs needed, may not be worth it.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10177 posts
2482 upvotes
Markham
I sold my wife's old car without safety, buyer get a temporary permit from MTO and they have 10 days to get the car certified and go back to MTO for a plate.
Some buyer however want the car certified before buying it. I did that once with my buyer, I agreed that I bring the car to a mechanic shop, he pay for it. It is only for his peace of mind that he worry that car needs major repair before he can get the plate.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13123 posts
1664 upvotes
dec12 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 8:41 am
Well, trying to get rid of 2005 crv-ex with 150Km. Dealers are willing to pay around 3000 but private sellers on auto trade is about 5000.

What do I need to do sell it privately?
Take it a reputable (someone whom you can trust) garage and find out how much it will cost to certify the vehicle? From that info you can make your decision. Are you planing to buy another vehicle?
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16729 posts
4403 upvotes
Toronto
Also don't forget about Used Vehicle Information Package.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2350 posts
2414 upvotes
GTA
As a used car buyer, I look for ones that are certified.
Sep 23, 2018
67 posts
8 upvotes
derass wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 4:31 pm
As a used car buyer, I look for ones that are certified.
Certified versus one from a private seller which comes with safety certification included.
Would you consider both of them the same?
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1317 posts
383 upvotes
Ottawa
You don't *need* it. It is the responsibility of the buyer.

Having said that I always certify mine before selling them. It just make the whole process much easier for everyone involved. It really isn't much of a problem as long as your car is in decent shape.

When I sold my cars privately I always had a long line of people willing to pay cash on the spot and drive the car away right after. I always say no to anyone want to have it inspected by their own mechanics. When I was young I foolishly allowed someone to take my car to his "trusted mechanic" and the mechanic burned out the distributor right away because he had no idea how to properly disconnect it. "Luckily" the car wont start so he was forced to admit it and ate the repair cost.

Basically if they dont have the cash to pay after the test drive just move on to the next one on your list. Dont hold the car for whatever reason. You aren't there to provide excellent customer service hoping for your customer to come back to buy another car years down the road. Your job is to find *one* guy who is willing to take the car.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3111 posts
807 upvotes
Edmonton
When I buy a car I always look for as-is, where is, broken needs to be towed.
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8