Request-A-Deal

Need a SIM card to have a Canadian number

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2021 10:52 am
[OP]
Nov 8, 2020
2 posts

Need a SIM card to have a Canadian number

I don’t live in Canada all year round so I just need a SIM card with a Canadian number I can keep without having to pay much (or anything). I’d put it in my double sim phone and use it when I’m here.
I’ve heard of PC Mobile $10 monthly prepaid but I wonder if there’s a cheaper option, just to keep a number even if I’m not using the service.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1877 posts
1628 upvotes
7Eleven SPEAKOUT Canada

Get a SIM ($10) and a prepaid voucher for $25 from any 7 Eleven stores in Canada. You are good for 365 days.
You may find promo $100 voucher with a free SIM plus extra $25 credit.

There is a network access fee $1.25, deduct mthly from the account balance.

If you intend to redeem voucher or puchase online voucher, make sure that you registers your online account before expiry date as you need veritification code.
ie SMSes stop working once it past the expired date although you have 7 days grace to top-up without losing your remaining balance.

Incoming SMS is free. See rates

Forgot to mention. This only works in Canada only. You wont be able to get any service outside Canada.

There is another alternative. Free internet phone numbers from TextNow that you can choose CA city area code.
Fongo is another one as suggested below by Kiraly. Both are adverts based so be careful of your phone data plan unless you set to free wifi hotspots.
Calls and SMS free (USA/CA) on TextNow whereas Fongo only for free calls (USA/CA) while SMS works with other fongo numbers only.
Both you need to pay for overseas call/sms by buying credits.
Last edited by imoo2u on Apr 15th, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
My life ambition is ....
Live long enough to be as big nuisance to my posterity as they have been to me.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
11476 posts
14236 upvotes
Vancouver
If you can data-roam with your foreign SIM in Canada cheaply, just get the free Fongo app. It'll give you a free Canadian VoIP number with free Canada-wide calling over your data or wi-fi connection. I know that's not exactly what you are looking for but if you're after cheap, this is hard to beat.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
22935 posts
18069 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
imoo2u wrote: There is another alternative. Free internet phone numbers from TextNow that you can choose CA city area code.
Fongo is another one as suggested below by Kiraly.
Note that both of these expire if you don't use them. TextNow requires that you use it once every 30 days to make a call/text. That's a real nuisance. Their ads are also very intrusive.

With Fongo it's 90 days. You can easily extend that indefinitely by paying ~$5 to get some world credits or to remove ads. While Fongo does charge for outbound SMS the cost is only ~$3/month and you only have to pay it when you're here.

IMO Fongo plus ~$5 world credit plus SMS when you need it is the cheapest way to get what you're looking for.

P.S. Because these are VoIP solutions, your Canadian number will be active no matter where you happen to be as long as your phone has Internet access. For someone who travels that's a huge advantage over a national SIM card.
veni, vidi, Visa
Mar 5, 2021
156 posts
183 upvotes
Ontario
imoo2u wrote: 7Eleven SPEAKOUT Canada

Get a SIM ($10) and a prepaid voucher for $25 from any 7 Eleven stores in Canada. You are good for 365 days.
You may find promo $100 voucher with a free SIM plus extra $25 credit.

There is a network access fee $1.25, deduct mthly from the account balance.

If you intend to redeem voucher or puchase online voucher, make sure that you registers your online account before expiry date as you need veritification code.
ie SMSes stop working once it past the expired date although you have 7 days grace to top-up without losing your remaining balance.

Incoming SMS is free. See rates

Forgot to mention. This only works in Canada only. You wont be able to get any service outside Canada.

There is another alternative. Free internet phone numbers from TextNow that you can choose CA city area code.
Fongo is another one as suggested below by Kiraly. Both are adverts based so be careful of your phone data plan unless you set to free wifi hotspots.
Calls and SMS free (USA/CA) on TextNow whereas Fongo only for free calls (USA/CA) while SMS works with other fongo numbers only.
Both you need to pay for overseas call/sms by buying credits.
If I need only incoming SMS, what exactly I need to do, Spend $10 on sim, $25 on a prepaid card. Recharge with some value to pay for network access fee $1.25.

Is there anything else I need to do just for incoming SMS?
God bless Canada and the whole world.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
22935 posts
18069 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Sidpop wrote: If I need only incoming SMS, what exactly I need to do, Spend $10 on sim, $25 on a prepaid card. Recharge with some value to pay for network access fee $1.25.

That's it. The $25 top-up lasts for 1 year and the $1.25 x 12 eats $15 of that. So the annual cost is $15 and your balance accrues by $10/year. Incoming SMS is free.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1877 posts
1628 upvotes
Sidpop wrote: If I need only incoming SMS, what exactly I need to do, Spend $10 on sim, $25 on a prepaid card. Recharge with some value to pay for network access fee $1.25.

So far what I experienced with Speakout is incoming SMS = Text messages from anywhere are FREE.
As long as your prepaid phone number is not expired (validity period), you will keep on receiving incoming text messages.
If you answer incoming (outgoing, too) voice calls, you will be charged on every per min (30cts) eg 1 min 01sec = 60cts

It is more than enough to top-up $25 every 365 days as total network access fee (sorta of 911 charge) for 12 mths is $15
Presently, you can buy extra prepaid vouchers ($25 minimum) as they have no expiry date until you activate to your speakout number.
By keeping a spare prepaid voucher, you will save yrself some (future) troubles if/when you need the extra top-up to continue your usage.
Just make sure you copy those 16 digits separately as the printed voucher will fade with time and don't lose them.

The biggest DISADVANTAGE is that Speakout number is UNUSEABLE outside Canada ie NO CALL/ NO SMS once you are outside of Canada.

For more info, visit official website https://www.speakout7eleven.ca
OR check this forum website https://www.speakoutwireless.ca
My life ambition is ....
Live long enough to be as big nuisance to my posterity as they have been to me.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
22935 posts
18069 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
imoo2u wrote: Presently, you can buy extra prepaid vouchers ($25 minimum) as they have no expiry date until you activate to your speakout number.
By keeping a spare prepaid voucher, you will save yrself some (future) troubles if/when you need the extra top-up to continue your usage.
Just make sure you copy those 16 digits separately as the printed voucher will fade with time and don't lose them.
No need to do any of that. You can buy vouchers online from SO's site. They apply automatically so there's no need to mess with 16-digit numbers or faded sales slips.

I just set a Calendar reminder to go off once a year a day before the top-up expires. I've bought top-ups online while travelling overseas so even that won't be an issue for the OP.

(You don't even have to buy a new top-up before the current one expires. IIRC you have something like 30 days to do that. And you don't lose any credits even if you're a few days late.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Mar 5, 2021
156 posts
183 upvotes
Ontario
Great. I am thinking to go with this phone https://www.speakout7eleven.ca/phones/maxwest-nitro4x along with a $50 top-up.

with this way, I'll save $10 on a sim card and will get mobile in $40 + $50 top-up. Moreover, it's a dual sim card mobile phone.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
22935 posts
18069 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Sidpop wrote: Great. I am thinking to go with this phone https://www.speakout7eleven.ca/phones/maxwest-nitro4x along with a $50 top-up.

with this way, I'll save $10 on a sim card and will get mobile in $40 + $50 top-up. Moreover, it's a dual sim card mobile phone.
You'll spend $100 and end up with a very poor phone. Do some Googling and read the reviews. I suppose it should be able to receive SMS OK if that's all you need it to do.

OTOH if you already have a phone, you can get a year's service for $35--one third of that price.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13759 posts
8474 upvotes
Markham
Sidpop wrote: Great. I am thinking to go with this phone https://www.speakout7eleven.ca/phones/maxwest-nitro4x along with a $50 top-up.

It's not a very good dual sim phone...unless the other provider is on the Rogers network, they may not work together.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Mar 5, 2021
156 posts
183 upvotes
Ontario
gr8dlr wrote: It's not a very good dual sim phone...unless the other provider is on the Rogers network, they may not work together.
Yeah, I dropped the plan for now. Exploring some other options.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13759 posts
8474 upvotes
Markham
Sidpop wrote: Yeah, I dropped the plan for now. Exploring some other options.
If all you need is incoming sms, you will not find a cheaper provider or service than Speakout. Re. the dual SIM, if you don't need, then you don't need it. Lots of pretty good phones you can buy for $100. Don't buy those phones off Speakout.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4735 posts
3021 upvotes
LaLaLand
The two cheap airtime options are 7/Eleven speakout and Piranha mobile.

Speakout is $10 for the sim plus $25 top up, plus tax. There is a monthly 911 fee of $1.25.

Piranha is US$3.50 for the sim plus $0.70 per month for a Canadian number and there is a $20 top up required. There is no tax. The balance does not expire so you can operate it for over two years before needing to top up again if you do not used the credit otherwise.