• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2017 6:49 pm
[OP]
Mar 14, 2017
111 posts
28 upvotes

Need some advice re: tranny re-build

Hi Everyone,

Not a car expert but my 2010 Chevy Equinox died on my wife on the 400 near Canal Road yesterday. Had it towed to Ivan's at iGarage in Markham. It has only 65K on it but is out of warranty. Ivan says new tranny needed. His guy can do it for $4K approx for rebuild with 1 year warranty.

I have a few options:

1. Trade it in at GM dealership without tranny for about $2-3K max
2. Get it fixed for $4K and sell it privately for hopefully $7K or a bit more
3. Get it fixed and trade in at GM dealership for about $6K and get a new vehicle (or some other dealership of non-GM but I get a GM family discount).
4. Get it fixed and just drive it until it dies.

What would you do? I am leaning towards getting it fixed and then decide to sell privately or trade it in. It's useless in the current state.

Thought I would ask the experts here.

Thanks for your help.
30 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10156 upvotes
Toronto
You'll have a hard time trying to sell it if you fix it. So, really your options are to either trade it in as is or fix it and drive it. I would not personally fix to sell privately as these are a dime a dozen and selling one is next to impossible. Source, I was trying to sell one myself. Trading it in, you'll take a large hit either way so trade it in busted if need be. Source, I was desperate to rid myself of a car and traded it in :(

So realistically you went from 4 options to 2. :)
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4653 upvotes
Montreal
This^^ Do not drop another penny into this car, trade it in as is. The rebuild will only be as good as the tech doing it and normally rebuilds don't last anywhere near as long as the originals.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
3110 posts
2064 upvotes
ontario
get a tranny out of a wrecked car. do not get it rebuilt. i'm surprised the mechanic didnt give you that option. it will be cheaper than a rebuild.

then decide on 2,3,4.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2557 posts
983 upvotes
65k km, 7 year old car, dead transmission?

Wow. That's terrible. Bad luck, OP.
[OP]
Mar 14, 2017
111 posts
28 upvotes
daverobev wrote: 65k km, 7 year old car, dead transmission?

Wow. That's terrible. Bad luck, OP.
Yes terrible bad luck. A GM dealer is saying I can get a new GMC Terrain for $26K in (after discounts GM family etc) and about $2-$3K trade in on Equinox with dead tranny. Not sure what way to go. Had bad luck with GM and the Equinox. No way tranny should have gone after 65K IMHO.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2358 posts
157 upvotes
ottofly wrote: This^^ Do not drop another penny into this car, trade it in as is. The rebuild will only be as good as the tech doing it and normally rebuilds don't last anywhere near as long as the originals.
I agree with this. I think the choices are A) trade-in as-is and get another car - you won't get back the $$ that you invest in fixing it and expect much for the trade-in or B) go to a wrecker and get a tranny and put that in and keep the car. I really would consider option 'B.' It'll be much cheaper than investing in yet another $26K km car but if you do that, I would really research/look around - I don't know why the OP is considering this GMC vehicle already. :)
BlueJaysNut wrote: Yes terrible bad luck. A GM dealer is saying I can get a new GMC Terrain for $26K in (after discounts GM family etc) and about $2-$3K trade in on Equinox with dead tranny. Not sure what way to go. Had bad luck with GM and the Equinox. No way tranny should have gone after 65K IMHO.
So, you're buying another one, brand new???? :)

Check carcomplaints. The 2010 Terrain's number 1 flaw appears to be tranny issues.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2001
1249 posts
599 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think I am going to buy another GM car.

I was told you can't just put another tranny from a wrecker in this car cause of some special electronic component that needs to be installed and works with the tranny.

What are thoughts on repairing it (approx $3k) and just keep driving it until it dies. I mean it's a risk but I really don't want to trade it in only to get $2K.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2001
1249 posts
599 upvotes
Toronto
CuriousJack wrote: Ask for extended warranty on the Terrain...then its a good deal.
The $26K was for new 2017 GMC Terrain...
[OP]
Mar 14, 2017
111 posts
28 upvotes
CuriousJack wrote: $26k less $3k....$23k all in for a brand new small suv with extended warranty is not bad right?
I don't think it included extended warranty but I could ask for that to be added, not sure what that is worth cost wise normally. Sounds like you guys think I should go for a new GMC 2017 Terrain?
Dec 25, 2006
673 posts
626 upvotes
Winnipeg
brockster wrote: I was told you can't just put another tranny from a wrecker in this car cause of some special electronic component that needs to be installed and works with the tranny.
Who told you this? I'd definitely do some more research there. At worst, if that is correct (which I doubt very strongly) get the component from the same place you buy the used transmission.
People will believe what they want to believe whether fact or fiction.
'tis most frustrating when they aren't open to see and/or learn which is which.
[OP]
Mar 14, 2017
111 posts
28 upvotes
warpdwhim wrote: Who told you this? I'd definitely do some more research there. At worst, if that is correct (which I doubt very strongly) get the component from the same place you buy the used transmission.
Sorry for the dumb questions but who would you suggest to get the used tranny from and who to install it? I have never looked into getting a tranny from the wreckers but open to it if it saves $. Thanks for your help. BTW the car is in Markham now.
Dec 25, 2006
673 posts
626 upvotes
Winnipeg
I'm in Winnipeg so no help as who to go to. Check car-part.com and it'll list every company who has one in stock. Ask the companies about their warranty coverage & if they can recommend someone to install it. You'll need to get the option code for the transmission to do a proper search on car-part.com(and ensure you get the correct one for your car)
Dec 25, 2006
673 posts
626 upvotes
Winnipeg
jackrabbit000 wrote: The only problem I have with this is how do you know if the used transmission from the wreckers is any good. You could be throwing your money away.
Most modern auto recyclers (not the old style scrappers) have ways to properly test them. They also warranty them (both parts and labor).
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19377 posts
3579 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
Apr 28, 2016
101 posts
40 upvotes
I had my transmission repaired 7 years ago, after 150k still going strong. Look for a private mechanic who specializes in transmissions.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22336 posts
2980 upvotes
Either fix it and drive it or trade it in...

Is the car otherwise in good shape?
Any major repairs coming up?
What major repairs have been done to it recently?
What trim level?
Is it paid off?
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2358 posts
157 upvotes
BlueJaysNut wrote: Sorry for the dumb questions but who would you suggest to get the used tranny from and who to install it? I have never looked into getting a tranny from the wreckers but open to it if it saves $. Thanks for your help. BTW the car is in Markham now.
It's not a dumb question but there must be a ton of transmission shops around the GTA. If you check kijiji, for instance, there are transmission mechanics listing tranny services (rebuild/used replacements) for various vehicles. I am not too sure about brand new vehicles (the warranty would cover that?) but the one you're talking about is a 2010, right? So, that applies. I would get a thorough check of the car done - and have a mechanic evaluate the car to see if it's worth it. No point doing a major transmission job if there's an issue with the engine (that turns up).

I agree with the thoughts previously posted (if there's nothing else wrong and it's in good condition otherwise), to get a used transmission installed and just keep it. Either way, a trade-in on a vehicle that needs major transmission work (read: transmission replaced) or a trade-in on a car that had the transmission replaced won't give you maximum $$ to play with on any trade-in. It might be more worth it to just get tranny work done and then drive it until it's really shot.

A brand new car - unless you can pay cash - is car payments and the value depreciates as soon as you drive away. The main benefit is a brand new car and peace of mind, I guess.
[OP]
Mar 14, 2017
111 posts
28 upvotes
Thanks for the advice so far. The car is paid off, had new tires and brakes last year. In good shape otherwise, had all recalls done, serviced regularly and LT version. I guess I am leaning towards get tranny fixed and drive it into the ground. I just hope to get a few more years out of it at least with no more major repairs. I am going to call other transmission shops to see if the pricing it out of whack that I was quoted. If anyone has suggestions for a good transmission shop close to Bullock Drive in Markham I would appreciate it!
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10156 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn't suggest the wreckers for a tranny regardless of what anyone says unless you are in some serious bind. Warranty from wreckers are 3-6 months at best. You're basically going to fork out a good pile of cash, say $1000 for the core, more if you need the other parts and then you are looking at quite a bit of labour. It would be cheaper to get a tran kit. Yes, it would be cheaper than dumping the car or obtaining a new one. I purchased a 4.3L out of an Astro to replace a blown engine in a old Cheyenne. Had the motor for about 4 months until it spun. Ended up getting that motor rebuilt. The scrapper wouldn't help at all, once the engine was delivered, they gave it 3 months of warranty. Motor was installed by a shop in Vaughn. Motor was rebuilt by the same folks. Ended up costing more than the truck and was never the same.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke