Need some help in buying a SUV/CUV

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2016 12:28 pm
Tags:
Nov 12, 2010
65 posts
13 upvotes

Need some help in buying a SUV/CUV

I'm in the market looking at buying a new SUV/CUV. Below are the features that make up my shopping list:

Must haves:
Automatic Transmission
All/4 Wheel Drive
Rear window wiper
Cruise control
Roof Railing
Foldable 3rd row

Optional:
V6
Bluetooth
Heated seats
Backup camera
Blind Spot indicator

Budget:
$24,000 - $30,000

Any good suggestions?
16 replies
Nov 6, 2014
28 posts
3 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Kia Sorento! Has all you need (including the optionals).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
You're not getting a brand new "3rd" row for a max budget of $30K
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18945 posts
10527 upvotes
I think your limiting factor is that third row of seats, so with that in mind I think your choices are limited to:
Nissan Rogue, Kia Sorrento/Hyundai Sante Fe, Dodge Journey, Mitsubishi Outlander.

There are some other choices that might squeak in price wise like the Nissan Pathfinder or Chev Traverse, but not sure they'd get low enough.

As you can see, your choices are very limited. Right off the bat I would be eliminating the Outlander because Mitsu is not a manufacturer I would want to purchase from - they are too "iffy" on whether they will keep producing vehicles and I would not want to take the chance. I would stick with a big automaker.

That leaves the Rogue, Sante Fe/Sorrento and Journey. I personally would not get the Rogue after the horrible quality issues with ours (from the factory), but regardless, I would look at those three during your testing and see if they meet all your other criteria.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
6154 posts
10805 upvotes
Canada
Sorento is the best option, by far.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
175 upvotes
TrevorK wrote: I think your limiting factor is that third row of seats, so with that in mind I think your choices are limited to:
Nissan Rogue, Kia Sorrento/Hyundai Sante Fe, Dodge Journey, Mitsubishi Outlander.
I never tried to squeeze into the Rogue's third row of seats when we test-drove one eighteen months ago, but the only people I saw managing to get in there on Youube videos were children and very small women. So it also depends on what you plan to do with that third row.

In any case, when we test-drove the Rogue, the third row seats were only available with one of the high-end trim packages, which would have been well over $30k. So not likely to be buying new.
Nov 12, 2010
65 posts
13 upvotes
Thanks guys/girls! However, one question that I have is, do all Sorrento's have the 3rd row option, or is it only the top models?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
6154 posts
10805 upvotes
Canada
It might be a bit too expensive. But the V6 and 7 seats does come in the lower trims. Maybe slightly used would be good.
Oct 25, 2011
499 posts
316 upvotes
Toronto
Look into the Mazda CX-9 2016 (lol not out yet, in a month or 2).
May 9, 2010
433 posts
264 upvotes
Ottawa
DoogeCoinR wrote: Look into the Mazda CX-9 2016 (lol not out yet, in a month or 2).
I was going to suggest same thing but it's going to be at least 5-7k more than his max price.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7777 posts
948 upvotes
Toronto
For brand new in that price range I can only think of a Dodge Journey where the 7 passenger option isn't over 30k...
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1698 posts
999 upvotes
the pathfinder will meet your demands, and be comfortabale. it is 32k for the base, but they are offering 1.5k factory rebates. you might be able to squeeze the price under 30k before taxes.

if not, then a caravan would work well. awd isnt a necessity unless you live in the boonies.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Nov 26, 2015
887 posts
671 upvotes
Ontario
You should test drive a new and used Kia if you are actually considering it. I hear from people who bought new, performance craps out pretty fast.

I personally will not buy Korean cars. I know a bunch of mechanics as well that hate them too.

I guess they are like Wind mobile phone plans.