Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
56484 posts
21536 upvotes

Need some tips when selling a car privately

We haven't made up our minds yet but if we do get a small SUV, we might list our 2011 Accord Coupe I4 5AT with extended warranty until December 2018 for sale as we will not be requiring three vehicles when there are only two drivers in the household. The second car is a 2002 Civic 5MT that is worth very little and will not be depreciating in value. :)

I know there's autotrader as well as kijiji but was wondering how do we avoid wasting our time with tire kickers? I don't like the idea of selling to a dealership because they'll likely low ball us $2-3k less than the best private offer and if that's the case, we're likely looking at proceeds between $12k and $15k but is there a point in trading the car in or should I shop it across a few dealerships?

The car has given us very little problems and I'm sure it would be years of worry and repair-free for the buyer.

If the offers are too low, we'll definite just keep it as our daughter will be turning in less than two years and I'm sure the car will hold up by then.

Is there any nice way to tell a prospective buyer not to floor the gas pedal? What other no-no's should be established prior to a test drive and what kind of identification should be required of the buyer (a quick look at the driver's license, etc.)?

Many thanks in advance.
4 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18939 posts
6121 upvotes
London
Dump the civic. Doesn't Ford still have a decent "retire your ride" rebate?

http://www.ford.ca/region/national/?bil ... one-150501

Program in effect from May 1, 2015 to June 30, 2015.... To qualify, customer must recycle their vehicle through a Ford dealership by turning in a 2008 model year or older vehicle that is in running condition (able to start and move and without missing parts) and has been properly registered/plated or insured for the last 3 months (the “Criteria”). Eligible customers will receive $1,000 towards 2014/2015 Edge, Flex and 2015 Fusion, Fusion Hybrid, Fusion Energi, Mustang (excluding 50th Anniversary, Shelby GT350), Explorer, Escape and Expedition, $2,000 towards 2015 Taurus, Transit Connect, E-Series Cutaway, Transit Van, Transit Wagon, Transit Cutaway, F-150 (excluding XL 4x2), and $2,500 towards 2014 F-150 (excluding Raptor) and 2015 F-250 to F-550 (each an “Eligible Vehicle”). ....
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22335 posts
2980 upvotes
You can make at least $2-3k depending on condition and mileage easily with that Civic. Is it a high end MT model? Enthusiast forum members may pay more than average joe for it
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
56484 posts
21536 upvotes
george__ wrote: You can make at least $2-3k depending on condition and mileage easily with that Civic. Is it a high end MT model? Enthusiast forum members may pay more than average joe for it
Clear coat has been peeling everywhere and I have 243k on it. There's also rusting on the rear fender well but the car still drives okay and I still average 13-15 km/L with it.

Hmmm, there are only 12 listed in Ontario ranging from $1,500 to $3,000 for private sales. I hope I don't have to sell close to the bottom of the range, lol.

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/cars/honda/ci ... True&srt=4

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)