• Nov 25th, 2016 11:13 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
1907 posts
143 upvotes

Need suggestion for Xmas gift, need your opinions

Hey Folks

My wife is an amature photographer (or trying to be). She has an older Canon DSLR and is more used to canon products. Any suggestions on what a decent camera would be? I've been looking at the black friday sales and i was looking at the http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/can ... d01284en02 for 950. It seems like a solid price but i'm pretty much just talking out of my ass when it comes to cameras.

I was also looking at the http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/nik ... 98edf8en02 for 799.99 but i figure she should stick with canon as her old lenses should still work i believe.

I'd prefer 1K being my top dollar, but if there was a crazy deal out there for more i might be tempted.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
21 replies
Jun 21, 2012
51 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
If she has an older Canon DSLR, she may already have those exact same lenses. Are you able to find out which DSLR she currently has, so we can suggest an appropriate upgrade? If she already has a Canon camera, it would make sense to stick with Canon so her lenses would still work.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5768 posts
1942 upvotes
Cornwall PE
tonyford wrote: Hey Folks

My wife is an amature photographer (or trying to be). She has an older Canon DSLR and is more used to canon products. Any suggestions on what a decent camera would be? I've been looking at the black friday sales and i was looking at the http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/can ... d01284en02 for 950. It seems like a solid price but i'm pretty much just talking out of my ass when it comes to cameras.

I was also looking at the http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/nik ... 98edf8en02 for 799.99 but i figure she should stick with canon as her old lenses should still work i believe.

I'd prefer 1K being my top dollar, but if there was a crazy deal out there for more i might be tempted.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Man that canon t6i bundle is a rip off at $1469.99.
You can buy the 18-55 lens kit for $629.99 presently, usually under $800, and the bag battery kit for $42.99 presently usually $79 - $119 and the 55-250 stm lens for $250 any day.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5114 posts
493 upvotes
How many lenses and what lenses does she have for her Canon right now? Depending on how invested she is on the system it might be worth it to switch to Nikon or Sony. But if she's already heavily invested in the lenses you could consider just getting her a new camera body. If she has an older canon DSLR she probably already has a EF-S 18-55mm that came as a kit or maybe even a telephoto already. It would be very redundant to buy another kit with those same lenses. Not that much would have changed (if any changes at all if it's not that old) to make it worth it.

The bestbuy Sony a6000 bundle deal is not bad either, have you considered that?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
1907 posts
143 upvotes
Oni-kun wrote: How many lenses and what lenses does she have for her Canon right now? Depending on how invested she is on the system it might be worth it to switch to Nikon or Sony. But if she's already heavily invested in the lenses you could consider just getting her a new camera body. If she has an older canon DSLR she probably already has a EF-S 18-55mm that came as a kit or maybe even a telephoto already. It would be very redundant to buy another kit with those same lenses. Not that much would have changed (if any changes at all if it's not that old) to make it worth it.

The bestbuy Sony a6000 bundle deal is not bad either, have you considered that?

She's been using a EOS Rebel XS i believe and any of her lens are non IS. Even if she has the same lens, wouldn't it be worth it to get the IS?
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1834 posts
483 upvotes
North York
Get her a giftcard and she can get whatever she wants. No guessing on your end and don't have to do any returns/ echanges.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
1907 posts
143 upvotes
thericyip wrote: Get her a giftcard and she can get whatever she wants. No guessing on your end and don't have to do any returns/ echanges.
Nah, not a fan of gift cards.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5114 posts
493 upvotes
tonyford wrote: She's been using a EOS Rebel XS i believe and any of her lens are non IS. Even if she has the same lens, wouldn't it be worth it to get the IS?
I have the XS as well, the kit lens that came with it is IS. It just isn't "STM" which is a more silent focusing motor. But when she's not home go dig in her kit and find out what she has. It'll say right on the lens (usually just on the rim of the lens if you take the cap off) what it is.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1342 posts
234 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
The T6i and 5300 deals are pretty good.

The T6i will be quite a stepup from the XS. Much faster, touchscreen, noticeably better picture quality, etc.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
1907 posts
143 upvotes
Hi all, so she has two lenses.
EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 II
EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III

So would the two lenses in the T6i bundle make it more worth it compared to what she has?
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1342 posts
234 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
The 75-300 is not a great lens, and it has no image stabilization. It's OK for use in bright lighting. The 55-250 is a better lens and has IS.

The 18-55 II is an OK kit lens. The newer STM version might be slightly better, but the main advantage is the STM when shooting video.

The T6i kit lenses are better,
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5114 posts
493 upvotes
They're better but it might be better to just buy the body, then find out what other kind of lenses she might like instead. Maybe she's into wide angle prime lenses or something else. If she doesn't like using telephoto it might be worth just spending the money on something like a Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 rather then the crappy kit lens
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13209 posts
6976 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I think she would be ecstatic with a Canon T6i body only and 50mm f/1.8 STM price matched at your local Henrys against the lowest price from the Camera Store, Alberta.
Cost=$818.85+tx

She'll be completely at home with having used a Canon XS all this time. The lens is a prime bang for buck favourite by many.

Look to see if Black Friday deals beat that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
1907 posts
143 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote: I think she would be ecstatic with a Canon T6i body only and 50mm f/1.8 STM price matched at your local Henrys against the lowest price from the Camera Store, Alberta.
Cost=$818.85+tx

She'll be completely at home with having used a Canon XS all this time. The lens is a prime bang for buck favourite by many.

Look to see if Black Friday deals beat that.
Sadly, I don't have a Henry's in my province
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13209 posts
6976 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Where do live? Try price match at Bestbuy or Staples, both common items.

Kit lenses are basic and she'll just yearn for something better. Check out/Google Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM and flickr, click the first link to see example pics from regular users.