Need suggestions to fix the post fundation

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2020 11:43 am
[OP]
Jul 3, 2009
324 posts
51 upvotes

Need suggestions to fix the post fundation

Hello, my backyard deck is about 6 years old. foundation of 2 of the posts are cracking. I am attaching pictures of them, also attaching another good one for comparison.

I recall they were not this bad last year, but appears each winter is causing it worse and worse.

Any idea how I can fix this?
IMG_3573.JPG
IMG_3574.JPG
IMG_3575.JPG
11 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1880 posts
1043 upvotes
London
*fOundation

Looks like surface cracking. Unless it is unstable, I would not worry or further investigate unless perhaps the deck is raised (permit) and/or overloaded.

Call the builderof the deck backif you are worried.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5037 posts
1715 upvotes
These concrete piers are going to outlast the 6x6. Believe me.

What you're seeing is a bit of spalling.
Let's hug it out
[OP]
Jul 3, 2009
324 posts
51 upvotes
thanks, the deck was built by previous house owner. so do not think I can go back to the deck builder

Is there anything I can do to make it not getting worse?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5037 posts
1715 upvotes
If it bothers you, remove what's loose with a wire brush. Then mix some quick setting cement.

If it was me, I'd just put some topsoil down and forget about it.
Let's hug it out
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2623 posts
1609 upvotes
Alliston, ON
I don't think that's spalling, that looks like the concrete is crumbling because of an improper mix when it was made. It looks like there was to much stone in the mix. It definitely needs to be fixed.

I'd say your only option to fix is to put new concrete piers in a foot away from the old ones and move the 6x6 post.
[OP]
Jul 3, 2009
324 posts
51 upvotes
That is what I am afraid of, and that seems a lot of work as well. Is there any cement or similar stuff I can DIY?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17988 posts
8966 upvotes
I agree that it looks like the concrete is breaking apart in a non-natural way. I also zoomed in and am worried that the screws holding the post to the anchor are just deck screws (they do not look like structural screws (definitely not simpson, doesn't look like grk).

One way to know if it's an issue is the brush away what is crumbling. You should see soon enough if it's an actual issue.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11944 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
TrevorK wrote: I agree that it looks like the concrete is breaking apart in a non-natural way. I also zoomed in and am worried that the screws holding the post to the anchor are just deck screws (they do not look like structural screws (definitely not simpson, doesn't look like grk).

One way to know if it's an issue is the brush away what is crumbling. You should see soon enough if it's an actual issue.
For a very long time, was only 10d nails that were recommended for fastening posts I think. I agree those are deck screws.

The post holes look like they were hand dug and no tube, so the soil is mixed with the concrete, weakening it.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11944 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
hpad06 wrote: That is what I am afraid of, and that seems a lot of work as well. Is there any cement or similar stuff I can DIY?
Its a huge PITA. Cement and sonotubes are very easy to come by, but digging what you need to dig will be a lot of work. Won’t even cost you much money, just digging a hole. I recently redid a clothesline pole by hand at my place.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17988 posts
8966 upvotes
Jerico wrote: For a very long time, was only 10d nails that were recommended for fastening posts I think. I agree those are deck screws.

The post holes look like they were hand dug and no tube, so the soil is mixed with the concrete, weakening it.
Most definitely - but nails do have a greater sheer strength. I mean, I am sure in most cases even the deck screws will be OK. It clearly has been. But it would be super easy to replace them with the right Simpson (or other structural) screw.

When I tore my old deck down (40+ years old) the original 4x4's set in concrete were all perfectly fine because the concrete was sloped, etc. Even the beams were in great shape. It's amazing what a proper install can do. It's why I always worry now when I see shortcuts taken, because it tells me that there are likely many other problems as well.
[OP]
Jul 3, 2009
324 posts
51 upvotes
nail is easy fix, I can certainly do that myself. Any other easier ideas of fixing the concrete?