[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
3008 posts
1430 upvotes
Whitehorse

Need super strong Vaccum

Hello,

I am looking for a simple but very strong vaccum (strong suckage!).

I want to use it to clean my car on the inside, only a few times a year. I have a power outlet right next to my car, so I don't need a battery operated device or a portable one. A small tank is fine, and the device doesn't have to last for thousands of hours of use.

I'm thinking a cheap but very strongly sucking shop vacuum. However, I am confused by HP, Sealed Pressure, Air Watt and CFM ratings all over the place.

What can RFDers recommend?
Thank you!
Last edited by sokolov on Aug 10th, 2021 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2083 upvotes
Markham
Might be cheaper if you buy an extension cord....$20
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
3008 posts
1430 upvotes
Whitehorse
BDSL wrote: Might be cheaper if you buy an extension cord....$20
I have an electric outlet right next to my car. What I need is a strong vacuum. :-)

I do not own a vacuum other than the central vacuum in my home. But that is too far away from my car. I checked - the longest extension hose I could find for my central vacuum (35 ft) would be too short, and it costs about $240 plus tax. And then I don't know how much suckage is left when I'm a total of about 50 metres from my central vaccum's motor.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19455 posts
22574 upvotes
GTA
sokolov wrote: I have an electric outlet right next to my car. What I need is a strong vacuum. :-)

I do not own a vacuum other than the central vacuum in my home. But that is too far away from my car. I checked - the longest extension hose I could find for my central vacuum (35 ft) would be too short, and it costs about $240 plus tax. And then I don't know how much suckage is left when I'm a total of about 50 metres from my central vaccum's motor.
Is your vacuum unit in the garage? Might be best just to add an outlet in the garage.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
3008 posts
1430 upvotes
Whitehorse
engineered wrote: Is your vacuum unit in the garage? Might be best just to add an outlet in the garage.
No, the central vacuum unit is far away from the closest spot where I could put my car (roughly 50 metres). I don't have a garage. But I have a power outlet right next to my car.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
3008 posts
1430 upvotes
Whitehorse
damatick wrote: just get a small shop vac
Thank you. Would you have a suggestion on which one?
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2026 posts
1089 upvotes
Oakville
Since you have a central vac, and don't already have a portable vacuum, what makes you think you need a super duper "strongly sucking" vacuum vs any portable vacuum for vacuuming your car out twice a year?

Will you be using the portable vacuum for anything else? If not, then why not just use the auto vacs at the gas station car washes twice a year?
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26003 posts
10707 upvotes
Socially Distanced
For one purpose it is cheaper to go to a vacuum at a self serve car wash/some gas stations. Most take loonies and toonies.
Use some hand sanitizer on the handle and keep your mask on.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
3008 posts
1430 upvotes
Whitehorse
cba123 wrote: Will you be using the portable vacuum for anything else? If not, then why not just use the auto vacs at the gas station car washes twice a year?
I don't like those. I find them stressful. Those that are available in my area are not that strong, super loud, and there is hardly any light there. I live in the North, where it gets dark early during the winter. Also, there is nowhere to go inside to warm up quickly.

I want to have my own thing where I can do it at my pace, at home, and also provide it to my SO for her car and her RV.
Apr 25, 2018
195 posts
221 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Get the one with the highest water lift rating