• Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2020 12:35 pm
[OP]
Jul 7, 2020
16 posts
1 upvote

Need your views on Entry door - Please

Hello,
I am in process of changing my Entry (single model) to frosted glass one, actually getting rid of full solid old type.
My door installation guy recommends me Full Frosted with no design or no steel bars in between but just full plain Frosted glass something like attached.
Could you please share your thoughts if any Pros and Cons to consider with this model?
Initially I was concerned about safety but then i realized all our backyard doors are full Glass so if anyone wants to break in, this should not be an issue as my door guys says even with those designs/steel bars, anyone can just break in.
But need your views please...Is it common to have these types of doors in front?
Images
  • glass entry door.jpg
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2731 posts
476 upvotes
Ancaster
Safety is very relative here. Even with the full wrought iron in the glass someone can still break through even if only to reach in and unlock your door. I had a neighbour that this exact scenario happened with him.

The aesthetics is probably what you should be thinking of.

The door you've got there will give you a more modern look if that's what you're after. If you're not looking for modern then you should look at your other options.
Sep 3, 2019
410 posts
244 upvotes
GTA
nowhere2010 wrote: Initially I was concerned about safety but then i realized all our backyard doors are full Glass so if anyone wants to break in
I've a similar situation with a sliding glass door.

A few weeks ago, I upgraded the backyard gate lock so it can only be opened from the backyard. It's not as convenient because now I have to exit through the kitchen to open the latch lock, instead of the garage, before mowing my lawn etc, but backyard security has improved significantly since.

Edit: it's also important to upgrade the screws in the door frame, door jamb, and door hinges to 3" screws, if possible, for maximum security. It only takes a few kicks to kick down a door with 1/2"-3/4" screws. And if you really want to beef things up, add a door blocker in the location of a kicker's point of contact with the door.
Mar 10, 2004
583 posts
180 upvotes
I live in an older area of gta where old bungalows are torn down. The new replacement houses do not have this style door. They have more traditional doors with no windows.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3618 posts
2881 upvotes
nowhere2010 wrote: Hello,
I am in process of changing my Entry (single model) to frosted glass one, actually getting rid of full solid old type.
My door installation guy recommends me Full Frosted with no design or no steel bars in between but just full plain Frosted glass something like attached.
Could you please share your thoughts if any Pros and Cons to consider with this model?
Initially I was concerned about safety but then i realized all our backyard doors are full Glass so if anyone wants to break in, this should not be an issue as my door guys says even with those designs/steel bars, anyone can just break in.
But need your views please...Is it common to have these types of doors in front?
Depends on what you like, I have wrought iron with acid etched glass that I prefer over the one you have. But imo there's no real pro/con to either and is matter of personal preference

If you just have a single door, you can just get someone to cut out your door and put in an inset

I used these guys for custom designed door inset

https://www.instagram.com/lussodesigncanada/?hl=en
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8951 posts
4568 upvotes
Paris
As a window/door contractor, I am not a fan of this as a front door. Get a 3/4 glass with some style if you are looking to save money. This style is great for a side door that people could potentially look in.

Also, the Hollywood trope of breaking glass to unlock a door? As a door contractor I have literally NEVER seen this, and I get a break in call once or twice a month. Door glass is surprisingly hard to break. Its always the jambs that are kicked or shoulder checked in.
Aug 29, 2019
455 posts
184 upvotes
Jerico wrote: As a window/door contractor, I am not a fan of this as a front door. Get a 3/4 glass with some style if you are looking to save money. This style is great for a side door that people could potentially look in.

Also, the Hollywood trope of breaking glass to unlock a door? As a door contractor I have literally NEVER seen this, and I get a break in call once or twice a month. Door glass is surprisingly hard to break. Its always the jambs that are kicked or shoulder checked in.
Agree, that large sheet of frosted glass is extremely boring and wont improve the front aesthetic of the house.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
4466 posts
1023 upvotes
I have to say I prefer it over the ridiculous wrought iron/stained glass options I see on most doors. That style is lame.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8951 posts
4568 upvotes
Paris
This is my current favorite for simple and cost effective.
Images
  • D0936678-8A2F-4BEA-9AFD-4DFF62967E05.jpeg
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8951 posts
4568 upvotes
Paris
Toukolou wrote: I have to say I prefer it over the ridiculous wrought iron/stained glass options I see on most doors. That style is lame.
Most of the wrought iron I see today is so over the top... I have a simple wrought iron pattern in my door. We dont sell a lot of them except to second generation European immigrant’s children.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4914 posts
758 upvotes
Calgary
If you go for a "mainly glass" door please please get the European lock (triple lock) on it
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8951 posts
4568 upvotes
Paris
Cough wrote: If you go for a "mainly glass" door please please get the European lock (triple lock) on it
Ive never seen broken door glass. Not a single time. Not to say it doesnt happen, but compared to all the jambs kicked in I have seen, I would say jambs are the bigger issue.
[OP]
Jul 7, 2020
16 posts
1 upvote
Jerico wrote: Ive never seen broken door glass. Not a single time. Not to say it doesnt happen, but compared to all the jambs kicked in I have seen, I would say jambs are the bigger issue.
So, the main issue with Full frosted without any design (like attached in my post) is only Aesthetics & not safety concern?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8951 posts
4568 upvotes
Paris
nowhere2010 wrote: So, the main issue with Full frosted without any design (like attached in my post) is only Aesthetics & not safety concern?
Yes aesthetics only.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3329 posts
573 upvotes
GTA
OP, it's really tough to give input on door style without first knowing what your house looks like. The door you posted looks perfectly fine, but it may look completely out of place on some homes IMO. If you're willing, I'd suggest posting a picture of the front of your house.