Tags:
None
[OP]
May 6, 2015
3 posts
Madden, AB

Needs help about APEGA application

Hi folks:

I'm a newbie here and just want you guys opinion about my ordeal with APEGA ( Association of professional Engineer and geoscientist of Alberta. It happened that i applied for transfer of my EIT membership to P.Eng membership after acquiring the required 4 years of experience practising as an Engineer. (20 months an On-site Engineer in Oil battery and 28 months as a Process Engineer in Office. To my amazement, APEGA board member sent me a letter requesting additional 16 months of experience or I should apply for appeal. They failed to reference the factor they used to come into that conclusion.

My questions are

1) Has anybody here been in similar situation? What did you do? Please advice me
2) What are my changes if i appeal (According to the letter, I will have to pay for the appeal and would be bound by whatever new decision the executives make)
3) If i'm waiting to gain 16 months more years of experience, would i have to pay the processing fee again? would my application take another 1 year to process?
4) According to the letter i received, they only require an updated experience for the 16 months and a P.Eng reference, how would i go about this? would i apply online or send paper application?
5) any other helpful info would be appreciated.

Thanks
5 replies
Aug 11, 2005
336 posts
94 upvotes
Calgary, AB
You should call/email them to clarify your questions because without more information and detail regarding your situation no one here can answer your questions properly. Calling and following up with an email would hopefully clarify things for you.
Jun 13, 2012
293 posts
150 upvotes
CALGARY
On your original application:
- Did you explicitly state that all 4 years of experience were under the supervision of a P.Eng?
- Did you show increased responsibility over the 4 years?
- Did you address all of the key points they mention in the application guideline (EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS FOR LICENSURE - AN EXPERIENCE GUIDELINE FOR MEMBERS-IN-TRAINING, EXAMINATION CANDIDATES, STUDENTS AND APPLICANTS - 2002)
- This may sound silly, but was the field experience in Canada or international? Was your office experience for projects located in Canada or international?
- Did your field experience require the application of engineering principles/standards or was it primarily an operator/data analyst type position?

Yes call them and discuss. This happened to a former colleague and it was resolved quickly and easily after some communication and clarifications.
[OP]
May 6, 2015
3 posts
Madden, AB
Thanks for your response Firebelly. I actually called them in Edmonton but the person I spoke with said I can only do 1 of 2 things; file an appeal or waiting for the additional 16 months then send in my experience.
The call doesn't help much.
[OP]
May 6, 2015
3 posts
Madden, AB
Fishbulb wrote: On your original application:
- Did you explicitly state that all 4 years of experience were under the supervision of a P.Eng?
- Did you show increased responsibility over the 4 years?
- Did you address all of the key points they mention in the application guideline (EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS FOR LICENSURE - AN EXPERIENCE GUIDELINE FOR MEMBERS-IN-TRAINING, EXAMINATION CANDIDATES, STUDENTS AND APPLICANTS - 2002)
- This may sound silly, but was the field experience in Canada or international? Was your office experience for projects located in Canada or international?
- Did your field experience require the application of engineering principles/standards or was it primarily an operator/data analyst type position?

Yes call them and discuss. This happened to a former colleague and it was resolved quickly and easily after some communication and clarifications.
Thanks for your response Fishbulb and here are the answers to your questions
- The 20 months as On-site Engineer position wasn't from Canada but was under a licenced Engr abroad while the 28 months Process position was from within Canada and under a PEng boss.
- I did show increased responsibility over the 4 years
- Yes, I did and even gave it to my boss (29 years of Engineering experience) for comments and approval before applying to APEGA
- 20 years was from middle East while 28 years was from Canada
- The On-Site experience was more of Operation type roles not much core designing. It involves control room monitoring, plant process operations and plant troubleshooting etc

Thanks and your further advice will be much appreciated.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
348 upvotes
Post your record form. With personal information removed. So we can give advice