Shopping Discussion

Negative Petro Canada points?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2020 2:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 27, 2006
3523 posts
615 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…

Negative Petro Canada points?

I have a few thousand negative petro points. How heck is that possible? I haven't even bought gas there in a year or two. Anyone else have negative points?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
4020 posts
2297 upvotes
fergy wrote: I have a few thousand negative petro points. How heck is that possible? I haven't even bought gas there in a year or two. Anyone else have negative points?
One time it happened to me because the pts balance on the receipt is higher than the one shown online. So after I redeemed all pts, it shows zero on my bill and negative online .
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 27, 2006
3523 posts
615 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
Some twit gave me a downvote for having negative petro points . I guess the world runs on all kinds of gas...
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
11443 posts
3706 upvotes
Toronto
It happened to me as well, send them an Email, they will adjust it and possible give you some more pts somehow,
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1465 posts
2059 upvotes
West
Why not just create another account to zero out and get the ~2000 pts sign up bonus? Seems like an easy solution... unless you should've had way more points than that.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 7, 2011
9201 posts
13840 upvotes
Someone cashed out 95K points from my account in Calgary... I live in Quebec!

Actually, they first earned 24 points at one station, then redeemed the 95K at another station soon after, so I'm assuming the first was a test to see what my balance was.

I phoned in, and they gave me back my points, cancelled my old card, and will send a new one.

Question is how was this done in the first place?

They said it was a computer glitch... Yeah right!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
4020 posts
2297 upvotes
IDStorms wrote: Someone cashed out 95K points from my account in Calgary... I live in Quebec!

Actually, they first earned 24 points at one station, then redeemed the 95K at another station soon after, so I'm assuming the first was a test to see what my balance was.

I phoned in, and they gave me back my points, cancelled my old card, and will send a new one.

Question is how was this done in the first place?

They said it was a computer glitch... Yeah right!!!
inside job from Some Petro Can station employees?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
13764 posts
8803 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
hahahaha "some twit"...what a funny lady.
fergy wrote: Some twit gave me a downvote for having negative petro points . I guess the world runs on all kinds of gas...

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 7, 2011
9201 posts
13840 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: inside job from Some Petro Can station employees?
Possibly...

Fake a card and make a purchase to see if it works, and see the balance, then redeem all the points.

I asked what it was redeemed for, since there's nothing to purchase for exactly 95K points.

Jul 02, 2020: +24 POINTS
Jul 02, 2020: PPTS 1.00 OFF C-STORE... ...-95,000 POINTS

I need Inspector Clouseau on this. ;)
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
4020 posts
2297 upvotes
IDStorms wrote: Possibly...

Fake a card and make a purchase to see if it works, and see the balance, then redeem all the points.

I asked what it was redeemed for, since there's nothing to purchase for exactly 95K points.

Jul 02, 2020: +24 POINTS
Jul 02, 2020: PPTS 1.00 OFF C-STORE... ...-95,000 POINTS

I need Inspector Clouseau on this. ;)
buy gas, lottery tickets for $95, etc.
Most gas stations have security camera. They can easily check the redemption time & station to find it if they really wanted to.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 7, 2011
9201 posts
13840 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: buy gas, lottery tickets for $95, etc.
I guess.

I hope it was worth the risk of being on camera though.

They sent it to security and will investigate it, so if they are serious about this kind of fraud, they might actually follow up on it.

Personally I don't care since I got everything back, but my curiosity got the best of me.

Top