• Sep 11th, 2009 11:06 am
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9720 posts
780 upvotes
Markham

Negotiating Bell home phone

Has anyone done this with success?

I have a Bell phone line with call display, the price is kind of high, around $30+ tax, I was thinking of calling in and negotiate to get a few bucks off, if it works.

I'm planning to switch to TekSavvy DSL so I need to have my landline.

I don't have any other Bell services, so I'm not sure if I have much bargaining power, except to lie and say I'll switch to Rogers Home Phone and get a bundle discount with our cable.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1765 posts
835 upvotes
call in and say you want to cancel because rogers called you and offered to give you the same plan you have for$XX.XX (make up a price).

I'm sure they'll do something, when I actually wanted to cancel bell satellite they wouldn't let me get off the phone.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
Hairball wrote: Has anyone done this with success?

I have a Bell phone line with call display, the price is kind of high, around $30+ tax, I was thinking of calling in and negotiate to get a few bucks off, if it works.

I'm planning to switch to TekSavvy DSL so I need to have my landline.

I don't have any other Bell services, so I'm not sure if I have much bargaining power, except to lie and say I'll switch to Rogers Home Phone and get a bundle discount with our cable.
Just use Teksavvy home phone , is same as bell
is a lot cheaper
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9720 posts
780 upvotes
Markham
Keigotw wrote: Just use Teksavvy home phone , is same as bell
is a lot cheaper
That's a consideration, but I am just signing up for DSL with them, I'm just trying to do it one step at a time, and it'd be easier just to use Bell for now. I have this feeling that getting both at once is a recipe for a disaster.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Keigotw wrote: Just use Teksavvy home phone , is same as bell
is a lot cheaper
1. You don't need to subscribe to home phone service to get DSL. Do some research on "dry loop" DSL.

2. IMO, there is absolutely ZERO reason to use Bell Home Phone service unless you need to have a blocked name and number. Teksavvy is otherwise the same thing for a lot less money. But if you are switching, be sure to read here first!! Be ready for a fight. Bell invests energy into only two things: 1) Screwing their customer, and 2) Animated Beavers.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9720 posts
780 upvotes
Markham
Jucius Maximus wrote: 1. You don't need to subscribe to home phone service to get DSL. Do some research on "dry loop" DSL.

2. IMO, there is absolutely ZERO reason to use Bell Home Phone service unless you need to have a blocked name and number. Teksavvy is otherwise the same thing for a lot less money. But if you are switching, be sure to read here first!! Be ready for a fight. Bell invests energy into only two things: 1) Screwing their customer, and 2) Animated Beavers.
I know you don't "need" to have home phone service, but dry loop is about $10 more a month, plus I'd need another VOIP service, I might as well just get a landline. Of course I'm not a fan of Bell, so I might switch to TekSavvy and save a few bucks on call display.

Oh and they also don't have the beavers anymore.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3261 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hairball wrote: That's a consideration, but I am just signing up for DSL with them, I'm just trying to do it one step at a time, and it'd be easier just to use Bell for now. I have this feeling that getting both at once is a recipe for a disaster.
I switched both to Teksavvy at the same time and had zero issues. You will be fine.

The home phone service is literally Bell service, even with the voicemail when I check my messages it says welcome to Bell Voice Messaging system or whatever....
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9720 posts
780 upvotes
Markham
tomtomtom wrote: Does OP really need a caller ID?

I have finally decided to cut caller ID to save 7 bucks per month. :lol:
Mainly my mom likes it, so I'm trying to find a way to get it for less.

I know TekSavvy has pretty much the exact same service as Bell, but I'm just a little concerned that doing both DSL and transferring the phone line at the same time would be a potential nightmare.

If I can extort a lower price for call display from Bell, that would be "safer" I guess.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
tomtomtom wrote: Does OP really need a caller ID?

I have finally decided to cut caller ID to save 7 bucks per month. :lol:
Caller ID is $3.00/mo from TekSavvy.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9720 posts
780 upvotes
Markham
Gee wrote: Is Teksavvy reselling Bell phone services? Or is their phone service VoIP?
They resell Bell landline home phone service. It is not VoIP.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
Hairball wrote: Mainly my mom likes it, so I'm trying to find a way to get it for less.

I know TekSavvy has pretty much the exact same service as Bell, but I'm just a little concerned that doing both DSL and transferring the phone line at the same time would be a potential nightmare.

If I can extort a lower price for call display from Bell, that would be "safer" I guess.
You can tell bell to price match Teksavvy on Call ID
I did that @ 1st, but the basic phone line still cost more than teksavvy, so I cancelled bell and went with teksavvy
I have dsl with teksavvy as well
no problem at all
Jan 15, 2008
175 posts
55 upvotes
Waterloo
Keigotw wrote: You can tell bell to price match Teksavvy on Call ID
I did that @ 1st, but the basic phone line still cost more than teksavvy, so I cancelled bell and went with teksavvy
I have dsl with teksavvy as well
no problem at all
Hey-I'm thinking of canceling my bell dsl/bell phone land line too for TSavvy but there is a dry loop fee that they charges ~$10/mth that takes away from this deal....not sure if it's still worth it or am I missing something. Also looking at vonage's options too as I can transfer my phone#...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9720 posts
780 upvotes
Markham
jibbler wrote: Hey-I'm thinking of canceling my bell dsl/bell phone land line too for TSavvy but there is a dry loop fee that they charges ~$10/mth that takes away from this deal....not sure if it's still worth it or am I missing something. Also looking at vonage's options too as I can transfer my phone#...
Yes, the dry loop fee if you have no landline is about $8-10. So in that sense I'm not sure if you really save anything by getting rid of a landline because your replacement VoIP service still costs money.
Jan 15, 2008
175 posts
55 upvotes
Waterloo
Hairball wrote: Yes, the dry loop fee if you have no landline is about $8-10. So in that sense I'm not sure if you really save anything by getting rid of a landline because your replacement VoIP service still costs money.
ok thnx-what about keeping my bell dsl and canceling bell landline for vonage(once I test that vonage has acceptable service) as there is no dryloop charge from Bell.... this seems like a good alternative..... I'm just looking at all the variables :)
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2004
1251 posts
24 upvotes
Ottawa
When I was thinking of switching from Bell home phone to Rogers, I called Bell and said, "Rogers is offering me this, I was wondering what you can do". They offered me nothing that was comparable.

I switched and now they keep calling saying they would like me back as a customer. I told them that I gave them one more chance (which was electronically documented on their system) and it was not worthwhile for me to stay.
Evolution has evolved so much, it doesn't exist anymore.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)