• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2021 1:06 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Newbie
Mar 31, 2020
40 posts
10 upvotes

Neighbor nuisance

Recently my neighbour started smoking something that seems to have Cannabis and it stinks awfully. Cant leave my windows open or enjoy the summer with the kids in backyard.

Cant say they are nice otherwise but nothing else seems to bother me as much. Anything I can do?
41 replies
[OP]
Newbie
Mar 31, 2020
40 posts
10 upvotes
Anyways, given that weed is legal, I guess there is not much I can do. Just hope that they vacate soon or I hasten my move.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 23, 2015
1261 posts
823 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Toss001 wrote: Anyways, given that weed is legal, I guess there is not much I can do. Just hope that they vacate soon or I hasten my move.
Have a talk with your neighbour, I did with mine. I asked him if he didn't mind not smoking outside when I have the kids in the backyard, he had no problem respecting my wishes. Doesn't hurt to at least try.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
9957 posts
4239 upvotes
Vaughan
Toss001 wrote: Recently my neighbour started smoking something that seems to have Cannabis and it stinks awfully. Cant leave my windows open or enjoy the summer with the kids in backyard.

Cant say they are nice otherwise but nothing else seems to bother me as much. Anything I can do?
Did you talk to your neighbour?
...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
5145 posts
3295 upvotes
I wonder if the vegans are offended by the BBQ smells coming from their neighbourhood?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8031 posts
9006 upvotes
Montréal
Bianco13 wrote: Have a talk with your neighbour, I did with mine. I asked him if he didn't mind not smoking outside when I have the kids in the backyard, he had no problem respecting my wishes. Doesn't hurt to at least try.
teoconca wrote: Did you talk to your neighbour?
this is what should have been done before asking this question here
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 4, 2009
1593 posts
961 upvotes
Windsor, ON area
I think things are getting out of hand.
What's next, can't BBQ in your yard because it bothers the neighbors?
Can't cook fish because it vents outside?

You live in an urban setting, suck it up.

You smelling cannabis is no worse than you smelling BBQ, in fact there's less smoke wafting over from smoking than bbqing.

And for the record, I don't smoke cannabis and I hate the smell, but I wouldn't ask my neighbor to stop smoking it in their yard just because I don't like it.
How does my enjoyment trump their enjoyment. I think it has to be reasonable.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
672 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
You can't do anything as he's not doing anything illegal . I had the same problem for almost 3 years. Couldn't open the windows at night, as this guy was out there every 3 hours from 11 to 7 a.m. like clockwork. Maybe he used it for medical purposes (doubt it) or rather he was just an extreme pothead. He must have permanently stunk.

Fortunately they moved. The new guy smokes cigars. I flip-flop on which is worse but at least the new guy doesn't do it at night and he's in his garage with door closed, but you can still smell it and its horrible.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 19, 2008
7250 posts
2835 upvotes
GTA
Toss001 wrote: Thanks. Will try talking to them.
That's crazy-the obvious thing to do is burn a tire in your yard.
Newbie
Nov 21, 2017
92 posts
81 upvotes
Unfortunately this kind of thing comes with living in the suburbs.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6574 posts
6048 upvotes
kittypink wrote: I think things are getting out of hand.
What's next, can't BBQ in your yard because it bothers the neighbors?
Can't cook fish because it vents outside?

You live in an urban setting, suck it up.

You smelling cannabis is no worse than you smelling BBQ, in fact there's less smoke wafting over from smoking than bbqing.

And for the record, I don't smoke cannabis and I hate the smell, but I wouldn't ask my neighbor to stop smoking it in their yard just because I don't like it.
How does my enjoyment trump their enjoyment. I think it has to be reasonable.
I agree. My neighbour has to smoke a smelly cigar almost every night - he also almost always burns whatever meat he's bbqing (repulsive smell - and I eat meat and bbq) but I would never talk to him about and say what...stop smoking, stop burning your meat? Where's he supposed to do that? I think it's silly people are suggesting he talk to the neighbour about this - if anything I think it will create a tension unless you just bring it up in a casual conversation and just say that stuff really smell, huh? And if he asks if it bothers you then you can say yes. If he doesn't respond to that then I would take that as a cue to drop it.

I think it's reasonable to politely ask your neighbour if something that happens continuously - e.g., my neighbour put up this annoying wind chime thing that clinked all day/night in efforts to scare off birds. I asked if he's fixed in having the wind chime - I didn't ask him to take it down, I just inquired about it. He took it down the same day. I think in this case it was reasonable for me to talk to my neigbhour about an unnecessary noise that occurred all day long. Smoking a cigar or weed is typically one confined to a short time period for most....OP just be glad it's not cigarettes otherwise it may be all day long...that's what I think everytime I smell the cigar.

I wish I could afford to live out in the country though.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8031 posts
9006 upvotes
Montréal
BitShark92 wrote: Unfortunately this kind of thing comes with living in the suburbs.
and it can't happen in the big city? It just can happen anywhere. At least, in the country, houses are far enough from each others...
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22774 posts
21609 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Jerico wrote: No
This

Cannabis is now legal
Same as booze, cigars, cigarettes, or pipe smoking

Unless they are causing a PUBLIC DISTURBANCE …
(Not the same as a PERSONAL NUISANCE = different from how you live your life / POV )

There is nothing you, bylaw, or the police can do

As others have said …
It goes along with living in an urban / suburban environment

Ya want less neighbour issues …
Move to the countryside / rural
Bigger lots / acreages
Where you have neighbours
But rarely see / interact with them
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
672 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
At the same time the neighbour's right to smoke outside should not over ride the OP's ability to enjoy his backyard. The smoker vs. non-smokers' rights argument that can never be resolved.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 2, 2018
2067 posts
2265 upvotes
Toronto
The neighbour isnt overriding anyone's rights....he is exercising his legal right to partake in enjoying a legal product in a property he legally owns in a manner that the product was legally intended to be used.

I do understand the frustration however, people need to get to know their neighbours where they can talk about concerns to see if accommodations can be made in a non combative friendly way.

Suggest a vape pen, might be a perfect solution as the smell is almost nonexistent and you receive the same result. Offer up to purchase one for the neighbour if you have to, or give as a gift as once he switches over your problem is solved.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Sr. Member
Aug 29, 2019
995 posts
453 upvotes
hierophant wrote: I agree. My neighbour has to smoke a smelly cigar almost every night - he also almost always burns whatever meat he's bbqing (repulsive smell - and I eat meat and bbq) but I would never talk to him about and say what...stop smoking, stop burning your meat? Where's he supposed to do that? I think it's silly people are suggesting he talk to the neighbour about this - if anything I think it will create a tension unless you just bring it up in a casual conversation and just say that stuff really smell, huh? And if he asks if it bothers you then you can say yes. If he doesn't respond to that then I would take that as a cue to drop it.

I think it's reasonable to politely ask your neighbour if something that happens continuously - e.g., my neighbour put up this annoying wind chime thing that clinked all day/night in efforts to scare off birds. I asked if he's fixed in having the wind chime - I didn't ask him to take it down, I just inquired about it. He took it down the same day. I think in this case it was reasonable for me to talk to my neigbhour about an unnecessary noise that occurred all day long. Smoking a cigar or weed is typically one confined to a short time period for most....OP just be glad it's not cigarettes otherwise it may be all day long...that's what I think everytime I smell the cigar.

I wish I could afford to live out in the country though.
Is this the neighbours that sets out mouse poisons in the open and removes bird nests around the yard? Honestly they sound evil.Slightly Frowning Face
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
9957 posts
4239 upvotes
Vaughan
Talk, talk, talk!
Inquire, inquire, inquire!

It doesn’t hurt, actually it’s good, talking to your neighbours. Don’t let the by-laws, rules dictate your relationships. If something bothers you that much, talk to him/her. They don’t know.

I always think, if you want to live in big cities, everyone lives happily. Otherwise, live in jungle where are no people around.
...

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)