• Aug 13th, 2021 1:06 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1915 posts
448 upvotes
It’s the neighbors property he can do what he wants,
He might tell you can please keep your kids inside , because they scream and he can’t nap.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18541 posts
13325 upvotes
Markham
teoconca wrote: Talk, talk, talk!
Inquire, inquire, inquire!

It doesn’t hurt, actually it’s good, talking to your neighbours. Don’t let the by-laws, rules dictate your relationships. If something bothers you that much, talk to him/her. They don’t know.

I always think, if you want to live in big cities, everyone lives happily. Otherwise, live in jungle where are no people around.
+1. Pretty sure the smoker does realize there is a smell. If you don't ask/talk nicely (no demanding) then they indirectly don't realize their actions have impact.

Maybe you should start cooking sardines on the BBQ or opening and eating durian outside. If they ask you to stop, you can ask them to stop.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7653 posts
4347 upvotes
Debtario
You can talking to them, but don't expect them to change their behavior. In fact, if they are real jerks they might do it more just to annoy you. Unfortunately there's not much you can do to stop them, and likewise there is nothing they can do if you reciprocate with your own smells. I can empathize with you OP, sucks when you can't open your windows on a nice day or hang laundry outside because people want to burn yard waste or smoke near your windows, or leave dog excrement on their yard.

As you've seen, the standard RFD advice is to move, because we are all $100K+ earners here that can relocate to on a whim anytime an asshole moves in next to you. Apparently most RFDers here can transplant their lives/families to any real estate of their choosing and the moving process is instantaneous and without any cost or hassle lol.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Nov 13, 2019
315 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
rotjong wrote: It’s the neighbors property he can do what he wants,
He might tell you can please keep your kids inside , because they scream and he can’t nap.
So you're saying his neighbor might be this guySmiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes?
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26924 posts
11366 upvotes
Socially Distanced
M1K3Z0R wrote: As you've seen, the standard RFD advice is to move, because we are all $100K+ earners here that can relocate to on a whim anytime an asshole moves in next to you. Apparently most RFDers here can transplant their lives/families to any real estate of their choosing and the moving process is instantaneous and without any cost or hassle lol.
Yup
But my paychecks keep bouncing and my 100K lifestyle is imploding.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1231 posts
852 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
Is this an all day everyday issues or a sometimes annoyance , once or twice a day? Like when my neighbor two doors down is using her dryer with Bounce sheets which I find unpleasant I put up with it, not that I could do anything about it.
Mar 24, 2009
217 posts
172 upvotes
KW
Talk to the neighbours. Even though it’s legal, most neighbours get it and will adjust their needs….
Mar 25, 2012
248 posts
36 upvotes
Ottawa
We find cannabis smell almost as bad as poo. I'd rather a hundred cigars and cigarettes! Is this the case for most folks, or do you guys liken it to bbq, bacon, ...?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7751 posts
5239 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Yes, you can mind your own business and carry on with your life and be grateful you don't have a neighbor from hell.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7751 posts
5239 upvotes
Victoria, BC
StTakla1 wrote: We find cannabis smell almost as bad as poo. I'd rather a hundred cigars and cigarettes! Is this the case for most folks, or do you guys liken it to bbq, bacon, ...?
I'm the opposite. Love the smell of pot and always have. Good times!
Penalty Box
Nov 21, 2013
8128 posts
9301 upvotes
Montréal
Chickinvic wrote: Yes, you can mind your own business and carry on with your life and be grateful you don't have a neighbor from hell.
This. There is really worse than a pot smoking neighbour. Live and let live
Jul 18, 2012
546 posts
270 upvotes
Toronto
This is why so important to make connections and be on friendly terms with neighbours from the get go. Then it makes it easier when talking about awkward things like this.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2241 posts
1777 upvotes
robbiemurray wrote: This is why so important to make connections and be on friendly terms with neighbours from the get go. Then it makes it easier when talking about awkward things like this.
Agreed, I make a huge effort to be friendly, helpful and accommodating to my neighbors because you may need a favor returned one day.

As for OP, you need to be sensitive and fair to your approach. Telling him to stop smoking all together isn't going to go well. If you smell it with your windows open, only thing you can do is close it and wait until the smell dissipates. What you should focus on is your kids. Find a common ground as in, you have no issues with him smoking but you're concerned for your kids. Example - suggest if you know if he's already out smoking, you wont bring them out to disturb him and vice versa if the kids are already out, don't light up when they're already there.

Potheads are pretty chill and understanding (especially involving children) when you are to them, but can be super passive aggressive if you try to trample on their rights. Maybe buy the dude a bong for xmas so he only need a couple bowls rather than a full J.

I personally hate the smell of weed and also there are tons of kids on my street including my own. I vape concentrates where there's no smell and couple hit gets me ripped.
Oct 2, 2017
832 posts
588 upvotes
be lucky he only smokes weed.

my neighbor hangs out in his gazebo all day and has loud F bomb laden verbal yelling with his wife.
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded
[OP]
Mar 31, 2020
40 posts
10 upvotes
I decided to not talk to them about it.

I have made sincere efforts being friendly to all my neighbours. One of our neighbours have become our good friends.

This neighbour though leaves their dog to poo and pee in their backyard deck. They let their dog pee on other properties front lawn in the neighbourhood.

They even drive their car over the lawn border into our driveway if their own other car is blocking access to the road. It is a single car driveway but they have two cars parked one behind other. Thankfully it is all just pebbles and not carefully maintained green lawn. We dont mind it but they didn’t have the courtesy to ask us if they could.

We brushed aside these because no neighbour is perfect or a lot of us dont realize we are not considerate enough. But the smell of Cannabis is so off putting that I wanted to vent out my frustration somewhere.

Not intending to discuss this matter further. Peace.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
673 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I don't blame you, it wouldn't have got you anywhere. As I wrote earlier, my neighbour was such a heavy and regular user there was no way he was going to change his ways to accommodate me, so why bother. You're in the same boat with this guy.
Penalty Box
Nov 21, 2013
8128 posts
9301 upvotes
Montréal
Toss001 wrote: I decided to not talk to them about it.

I have made sincere efforts being friendly to all my neighbours. One of our neighbours have become our good friends.

This neighbour though leaves their dog to poo and pee in their backyard deck. They let their dog pee on other properties front lawn in the neighbourhood.

They even drive their car over the lawn border into our driveway if their own other car is blocking access to the road. It is a single car driveway but they have two cars parked one behind other. Thankfully it is all just pebbles and not carefully maintained green lawn. We dont mind it but they didn’t have the courtesy to ask us if they could.

We brushed aside these because no neighbour is perfect or a lot of us dont realize we are not considerate enough. But the smell of Cannabis is so off putting that I wanted to vent out my frustration somewhere.

Not intending to discuss this matter further. Peace.
you really think that not talking of your concerns with your neighbour and complaining here will solve your ''issue'' ?? Ho, well... :facepalm:
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23494 posts
22450 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
DoorCrasher wrote: you really think that not talking of your concerns with your neighbour and complaining here will solve your ''issue'' ?? Ho, well... :facepalm:
Ya it’s called VENTING

And can be a good MENTAL HEALTH exercise

Esp in circumstances where one is frustrated … but any other action taken leads to a NO WIN situation
Penalty Box
Nov 21, 2013
8128 posts
9301 upvotes
Montréal
PointsHubby wrote: Ya it’s called VENTING

And can be a good MENTAL HEALTH exercise

Esp in circumstances where one is frustrated … but any other action taken leads to a NO WIN situation
venting is a good idea where -- when there is frustrations, but will not solve the initial problem
Toss001 wrote: Recently my neighbour started smoking something that seems to have Cannabis and it stinks awfully. Cant leave my windows open or enjoy the summer with the kids in backyard.

Cant say they are nice otherwise but nothing else seems to bother me as much. Anything I can do?
But can I point you to the fact that OP asked what he can do? Talking to his neighbour is the first thing he sould have done before asking this question here. We are many to say that he should talk about it directly to whom is concerned, and he just don't want to, hence my reply