• May 9th, 2019 10:34 pm
[OP]
Jun 14, 2012
138 posts
21 upvotes
North York

Neighbor is using the shared fence as a storage wall

Greetings!

I am new homeowner in Toronto, North York and never dealt with shared fences.

My neighbor is using the shared fence as a storage wall. He attached a roof from inside to the shared fence and has all type of garbage on it.

He is also using the shared fence as a wall to store lots of heavy stuff against it.

As a result of all this the fence started to bend against my property and might break down soon.

Enclosing couple of photos for the reference.

Just before I talk to him I wanted to ask if you had similar experiences. Do you know what law says on this?

I suspect he shouldn't be allowed to use the shared fence as his storage wall but wanted to check. Thanks!
2019-05-09_9-27-45.png
2019-05-09_9-29-05.png
22 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3889 posts
2837 upvotes
GTA
You are not a great prospect for a friendly, new neighbor in the hood. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes Researching "what law says on shared fence", makes me think that multiple calls to the city, parking control, police etc will be made from your phone number.
Just go over, introduce yourself and your family, and talk to that guy. Maybe it will be all you need to solve your problem. Coming to internet forum for advice, before even speaking to your neighbour is not so great. But I guess these days people try to avoid face to face contact as much as possible.
Where did you live begore Toronto? In the country? City live will be different for sure.
[OP]
Jun 14, 2012
138 posts
21 upvotes
North York
Tommy74 wrote: You are not a great prospect for a friendly, new neighbor in the hood. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes Researching "what law says on shared fence", makes me think that multiple calls to the city, parking control, police etc will be made from your phone number.
Just go over, introduce yourself and your family, and talk to that guy. Maybe it will be all you need to solve your problem. Coming to internet forum for advice, before even speaking to your neighbour is not so great. But I guess these days people try to avoid face to face contact as much as possible.
Where did you live begore Toronto? In the country? City live will be different for sure.
For your reference, I lived in a city all my life, but in an apartment.

I am checking here because other neighbors told me that nobody really talks to the guy is he is "as crazy as his dog (which bite few people few years back)". Hopefully, this gives you some context...
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1948 posts
465 upvotes
Calgary
go talk to him. tell him that his heavy storage setup is damaging the fence and that you would like him to remove it.

if he doesn't do that, then you can worry about what to do next.
Mar 7, 2008
635 posts
159 upvotes
Leask
Good example of why I always walk around the neighbourhood a few times before I buy a house
[OP]
Jun 14, 2012
138 posts
21 upvotes
North York
THINKPOD wrote: Good example of why I always walk around the neighbourhood a few times before I buy a house
Agreed, should have done that...
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14434 posts
8821 upvotes
Toronto
urartu99 wrote:
For your reference, I lived in a city all my life, but in an apartment.

I am checking here because other neighbors told me that nobody really talks to the guy is he is "as crazy as his dog (which bite few people few years back)". Hopefully, this gives you some context...
What? The dog would have been put down so how do you know that happened as it's just neighbours vs neighbours.
canehdianman wrote: go talk to him. tell him that his heavy storage setup is damaging the fence and that you would like him to remove it.

if he doesn't do that, then you can worry about what to do next.
In all fairness, the neighbour has ever right to put whatever they want on their side of the fence. Just ensure you document with this load against the fence in case of repairs/replacement to limit/omit your portion to repair. Also you could easily resolve the issue but installing a long pole upright against the fence.

My neighbour had a pool and hung all his pool stuff on the side of the fence and it dips into my yard. Who am I or you to suggest that he cannot do anything to his side the fence? This isn't a HOA, so be civil and understand what you can and cannot do. There is no law and don't just listen willy nilly to your other neighbours. My neighbour made all repairs to the fence at his expense. Give people the benefit before siding with others. Maybe it's the other neighbours that are crazy.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15625 posts
16769 upvotes
Oakville
koffey wrote: What? The dog would have been put down so how do you know that happened as it's just neighbours vs neighbours.

In all fairness, the neighbour has ever right to put whatever they want on their side of the fence. Just ensure you document with this load against the fence in case of repairs/replacement to limit/omit your portion to repair. Also you could easily resolve the issue but installing a long pole upright against the fence.

My neighbour had a pool and hung all his pool stuff on the side of the fence and it dips into my yard. Who am I or you to suggest that he cannot do anything to his side the fence? This isn't a HOA, so be civil and understand what you can and cannot do. There is no law and don't just listen willy nilly to your other neighbours. My neighbour made all repairs to the fence at his expense. Give people the benefit before siding with others. Maybe it's the other neighbours that are crazy.
The neighbour has a roof built off the fence, so if that qualifies it as a shed, then it's definitely illegal as they need to be 2ft from the properly line.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14434 posts
8821 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: The neighbour has a roof built off the fence, so if that qualifies it as a shed, then it's definitely illegal as they need to be 2ft from the properly line.
Call me blind, but I don't see any roof in any pic posted by the OP. I see a lot of vines and perhaps some type of veggie garden lattice. And where you get the idea that a roof qualifies as a shed, I have no idea.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1948 posts
465 upvotes
Calgary
koffey wrote: What? The dog would have been put down so how do you know that happened as it's just neighbours vs neighbours.

LOL, found the neighbour!

A) the fence might not be jointly owned.
B) Even if it is, you can't wreck jointly owned property and not expect to have to repair it.

This is an easy fix if you talk to him.

Maybe he offers to replace the posts that are sagging (and install them in concrete so they don't sag anymore). Maybe he removes the storage crap.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14434 posts
8821 upvotes
Toronto
canehdianman wrote: LOL, found the neighbour!

A) the fence might not be jointly owned.
B) Even if it is, you can't wreck jointly owned property and not expect to have to repair it.

This is an easy fix if you talk to him.

Maybe he offers to replace the posts that are sagging (and install them in concrete so they don't sag anymore). Maybe he removes the storage crap.
You serious? :rolleyes:

Did you even read the OP? OP says it's shared. But fence isn't wrecked as you put it. And as mentioned by everyone, talk to him.

:facepalm:
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15625 posts
16769 upvotes
Oakville
koffey wrote: Call me blind, but I don't see any roof in any pic posted by the OP. I see a lot of vines and perhaps some type of veggie garden lattice. And where you get the idea that a roof qualifies as a shed, I have no idea.
I'm just going by what the OP said, so you're not blind, just illiterate... lol j/k
He attached a roof from inside to the shared fence and has all type of garbage on it.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14434 posts
8821 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: I'm just going by what the OP said, so you're not blind, just illiterate... lol j/k
He attached a roof from inside to the shared fence and has all type of garbage on it.
Considering the max height of any fence in the GTA is 6ft, lol, some crappy storage area. OPs neighbour must be a small person, or perhaps it's a kids play house, lol

OPs only option is call by-law and have them investigate the property for any by-law issues and have the issues remedied, which would happen at the owners expense.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11654 posts
8091 upvotes
GTA, ON
Ask nicely. If neighbour tells you to buzz off, document the damage being done to the fence with pictures and then sit back and don't worry about it. When the fence eventually comes down and you got to replace it, you have pictures in hand that he was the cause of the damage and he should have to replace it.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4135 posts
2907 upvotes
THINKPOD wrote: Good example of why I always walk around the neighbourhood a few times before I buy a house
What happens when new people move into the neighbourhood after you've already purchased?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11850 posts
8119 upvotes
Edmonton
chimaican wrote: Ask nicely. If neighbour tells you to buzz off, document the damage being done to the fence with pictures and then sit back and don't worry about it. When the fence eventually comes down and you got to replace it, you have pictures in hand that he was the cause of the damage and he should have to replace it.
In that scenario, you'd still have to take them to small claims court and then try to enforce any judgement. Better off to prevent further damage, IMHO. I'd talk to the neighbor first, then escalate to Bylaws. To the OP, make sure your own lot is all "up to snuff" before calling for a Bylaw look-see... Otherwise you might end up getting caught in the same snare.

C
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15625 posts
16769 upvotes
Oakville
koffey wrote: Considering the max height of any fence in the GTA is 6ft, lol, some crappy storage area. OPs neighbour must be a small person, or perhaps it's a kids play house, lol

OPs only option is call by-law and have them investigate the property for any by-law issues and have the issues remedied, which would happen at the owners expense.
Agreed.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19451 posts
3515 upvotes
Toronto
Why don't you just brace it on your side so it doesn't fall over? Add some metal supports or something.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3514 posts
19907 upvotes
Just call about the 311 and tell them you feel like your neighbour is breaking by-laws and if they can send someone over to review to make sure you are not in the wrong. I know this can go the wrong way if you don't speak to them first but it's one way to get the issue resolved because if he doesn't comply he can be in big trouble.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15625 posts
16769 upvotes
Oakville
markopas wrote: Just call about the 311 and tell them you feel like your neighbour is breaking by-laws and if they can send someone over to review to make sure you are not in the wrong. I know this can go the wrong way if you don't speak to them first but it's one way to get the issue resolved because if he doesn't comply he can be in big trouble.
The advantage of calling 311 first is that the neighbour may suspect you, but they won't know for sure it was you. Whereas if you ask first and they are dicks about it, then they will know that you called the officer and they could make life difficult by being an even worse neighbour.