• Sep 17th, 2021 10:58 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2015
1190 posts
493 upvotes
Nobleton, ON

neighbor's new drain downspout causing torrent that runs off on my lawn

My neighbor had rerouted his downspout underneath his new concrete deck and now facing and closing to our property border. (see picture below)

20210915_122139-mod.jpg

after yesterday's heavy rain, the torrents seemed to be much redirected onto my lawn and caused most of my grass washed up (see picture below)

20210915_122132-mod.jpg

We didn't have great relationship due to his general aggressiveness and had past disputed over the cost of the fence, thus I wonder which bylaw enforcement department should I contact directly and if this is a justifiable reason. I am in King (not King City)

UPDATE:

King by-law replied back very promptly stating that the downspout has to be at least 0.6m away from the property line and the law enforcement office will have a chat with the owner.

Keep my finger crossed.

UPDATE:

picture taken from bedroom bathroom:

20210916_090029.jpg
Last edited by xuanzh on Sep 16th, 2021 11:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
64 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17166 posts
19074 upvotes
Oakville
Well, you could just sneak an elbow on there to direct it to the left. Or put a wood board, or plastic edging to prevent it from flowing past the fence.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2015
1190 posts
493 upvotes
Nobleton, ON
engineered wrote: Well, you could just sneak an elbow on there to direct it to the left. Or put a wood board, or plastic edging to prevent it from flowing past the fence.
I would rather resort to some law-enforcement measure rather than conjure up a not-so-stellar method. and the grading slope is to the right not left.
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1657 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Assuming you are still in King. Bylaw 98-182 governing property standards states in section 4.27.6:

An acceptable piped drainage system shall be provided and maintained for storm drainage run-off from all impervious surfaces of property except when drained to a swale, watercourse or contained and absorbed by the soil within the limits of the property on which it collects
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2015
1190 posts
493 upvotes
Nobleton, ON
KevinM56081 wrote: Assuming you are still in King. Bylaw 98-182 governing property standards states in section 4.27.6:

An acceptable piped drainage system shall be provided and maintained for storm drainage run-off from all impervious surfaces of property except when drained to a swale, watercourse or contained and absorbed by the soil within the limits of the property on which it collects
Thus he can't put downspout like that?
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1657 upvotes
Clarington, ON
xuanzh wrote: Thus he can't put downspout like that?
I would say his property has to absorb his water.... However, I'm also not a sworn MLEO in your municipality.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1414 posts
1143 upvotes
GTA
xuanzh wrote: I would rather resort to some law-enforcement measure rather than conjure up a not-so-stellar method. and the grading slope is to the right not left.
While this may violate some bylaws, most Cities/Towns might not do much about it and just tell you to take it up with your neighbour or file a civil suit. You can call your municipality and see if they are willing to do anything.

If I had to guess, the approved grading plan showed a sideyard swale with the low point on the property line. Does your sideyard still slope towards the property line? The requirement for most swales is 0.15m/6" in depth. Your best argument is to tell the municipality that your neighbour altered the approved lot grading plan and it is adversely impacting your property. ie. All the drainage from his half of the swale that he filled in is now forced onto your properly.

Additionally, you could bring up the issue with erosion. Grass and most landscaped surfaces can usually tolerate a velocity of 2m/s. Hard to tell what it is in this case.

All in all its a crappy situation for you to deal with, especially because the neighbour is not going to act rational when you tell him his brand new walkway screwed stuff up. I would probably do as @engineered suggested and put a board, stone curb, etc, along the property line and see if that helps the issue.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17166 posts
19074 upvotes
Oakville
xuanzh wrote: I would rather resort to some law-enforcement measure rather than conjure up a not-so-stellar method. and the grading slope is to the right not left.
Well you could at least do that in the mean time to prevent flooding your property while you wait for bylaw to make him fix it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1657 upvotes
Clarington, ON
engineered wrote: Well you could at least do that in the mean time to prevent flooding your property while you wait for bylaw to make him fix it.
Hopefully your municipal law enforcement has the gumption to do something.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2015
1190 posts
493 upvotes
Nobleton, ON
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: While this may violate some bylaws, most Cities/Towns might not do much about it and just tell you to take it up with your neighbour or file a civil suit. You can call your municipality and see if they are willing to do anything.

If I had to guess, the approved grading plan showed a sideyard swale with the low point on the property line. Does your sideyard still slope towards the property line? The requirement for most swales is 0.15m/6" in depth. Your best argument is to tell the municipality that your neighbour altered the approved lot grading plan and it is adversely impacting your property. ie. All the drainage from his half of the swale that he filled in is now forced onto your properly.

Additionally, you could bring up the issue with erosion. Grass and most landscaped surfaces can usually tolerate a velocity of 2m/s. Hard to tell what it is in this case.

All in all its a crappy situation for you to deal with, especially because the neighbour is not going to act rational when you tell him his brand new walkway screwed stuff up. I would probably do as @engineered suggested and put a board, stone curb, etc, along the property line and see if that helps the issue.
Yes mine still does slope towards the property line, but his *deck gravels* had filled up so much of that swale on his portion.

I had checked the lawn one more time, and noticed spotted washed-away damages caused by his drain spout, thus the torrent definitely exceeded 2m/s.

I had contact King by-law over some noisy ATV issues and they reacted very promptly, not so sure about this grading issue, though.
Last edited by xuanzh on Sep 15th, 2021 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 6, 2014
906 posts
1558 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Maybe wait till December and store all your plastic shopping bags in the pipe. Then watch it freeze over. ;) haha
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1657 upvotes
Clarington, ON
xuanzh wrote: Yes mine still does slope towards the property line, but his *deck* had filled up so much of that swale on his portion.

I had checked the lawn one more time, and noticed spotted washed-away damages caused by his drain spout, thus the torrent definitely exceeded 2m/s.

I had contact King by-law over some noisy ATV issues and they reacted very promptly, not so sure about this grading issue, though.
I'd start with MLEO. Go through them. If unsatisfactory, you do have a municipal councillor.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
13212 posts
10092 upvotes
GTA, ON
I'd suggest just mentioning/telling the neighbour to please redirect the piping/flow (by extension) to the front of his property or you will hold him ultimately responsible for the repairs when the grass/dirt there eventually sinks and shifts the stones on your pathway.
Tis banana is IRIE

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2015
1190 posts
493 upvotes
Nobleton, ON
KevinM56081 wrote: I'd start with MLEO. Go through them. If unsatisfactory, you do have a municipal councillor.
Already contacted by-law office and awaiting their response. :)

In the mean time, I have conjured up a better long term solution, since lawn is much better at regain soil and resist to erosion, and his portion has nothing but a bit of gravel and mostly soil, should I put up a board and through years of washingaway and eroding, in theory, a new trough should be formed on his property by the force of nature, am I right?

And the new trough should in theory loose his concrete deck base gravel in the long run and eventually his deck will sink...
Last edited by xuanzh on Sep 15th, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
13212 posts
10092 upvotes
GTA, ON
I don't get why people install a solid concrete slab as walkway between their homes. Where is the water supposed to go? Against the neighbour's house I guess.
Tis banana is IRIE

Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1748 posts
835 upvotes
GTA
chimaican wrote: I don't get why people install a solid concrete slab as walkway between their homes. Where is the water supposed to go? Against the neighbour's house I guess.
The answer is #notmyproblem. People do stupid stuff with their homes/property not realizing that it affects everyone around them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2015
1190 posts
493 upvotes
Nobleton, ON
chimaican wrote: I don't get why people install a solid concrete slab as walkway between their homes. Where is the water supposed to go? Against the neighbour's house I guess.
People are not reasonable beings nowadays, this neighbor (the male host) would racing out of his driveway and accelerating past you when you try to back out onto the street to simply piss you off and no, he did it totally on purpose during pre-covid morning commuting hours.

My neighbor of the otherside still owns me his half of the fence fee and it was pre-agreed orally, he would find all sorts of excuses to reason why he cannot pay his half now and eventually won't even pick up my phone (his property is a rental thus I rare see him during the year)

My neighbor crossed the street is ok and nice, however the interlock company he hired to do his driveway left a huge mess on my lawn and was totally acting like a pxxck while I raised up my concern, and after his work done and departed, he didn't clean up the mess left on my lawn llike he promised, and during the moment I complained to him over the phone he acted like he was growing up in Jane&Finch area. The interlock company is called StarLock Construction. see the picture of the mess this company left:
starlock-mess.jpg

and the sad thing is that I am not living in a shabby neighborhood and the average house cost in my neighborhood is well north of 3 mil, yet people seemed to be less considerable to others. There was one house down the street would party until 3am in the morning with extremely loud outdoor speakers blasting music into the air and they stopped being such childish partying animals until some neighbor called police upon them 3 times.

My old neighborhood in Scarborough, despite being mostly working/middle class didn't act like these unreasonable beings at all.
Last edited by xuanzh on Sep 15th, 2021 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
13212 posts
10092 upvotes
GTA, ON
xuanzh wrote: My neighbor of the otherside still owns me his half of the fence fee and it was pre-agreed orally, he would find all sorts of excuses to reason why he cannot pay his half now and eventually won't even pick up my phone (his property is a rental thus I rare see him during the year)
Only thing I can comment on is that unless you built that fence yourself, the contract should have been between the contractor and your neighbor.

When I had originally set up the fence contractor for our street, the contractor drew up contracts for everyone, and halved the cost for shared fences. So if one party didn't want to pay for their half, that was between the contractor and the neighbour. Not my business.
Tis banana is IRIE

[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2015
1190 posts
493 upvotes
Nobleton, ON
chimaican wrote: Only thing I can comment on is that unless you built that fence yourself, the contract should have been between the contractor and your neighbor.

When I had originally set up the fence contractor for our street, the contractor drew up contracts for everyone, and halved the cost for shared fences. So if one party didn't want to pay for their half, that was between the contractor and the neighbour. Not my business.
Yes it was my bad prepaid the contractor ourselves, not a big money (only a short strech of fence), but the way they acted afterwards truly disgusted me.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3522 posts
2518 upvotes
Toronto
xuanzh wrote: People are not reasonable beings nowadays, this neighbor (the male host) would racing out of his driveway and accelerating past you when you try to back out onto the street to simply piss you off and no, he did it totally on purpose during pre-covid morning commuting hours.

My neighbor of the otherside still owns me his half of the fence fee and it was pre-agreed orally, he would find all sorts of excuses to reason why he cannot pay his half now and eventually won't even pick up my phone (his property is a rental thus I rare see him during the year)

My neighbor crossed the street is ok and nice, however the interlock company he hired to do his driveway left a huge mess on my lawn and was totally acting like a pxxck while I raised up my concern, and after his work done and departed, he didn't clean up the mess left on my lawn llike he promised, and during the moment I complained to him over the phone he acted like he was growing up in Jane&Finch area. The interlock company is called StarLock Construction. see the picture of the mess this company left:

starlock-mess.jpg

and the sad thing is that I am not living in a shabby neighborhood and the average house cost in my neighborhood is well north of 3 mil, yet people seemed to be less considerable to others. There was one house down the street would party until 3am in the morning with extremely loud outdoor speakers blasting music into the air and they stopped being such childish partying animals until some neighbor called police upon them 3 times.

My old neighborhood in Scarborough, despite being mostly middle class didn't act like these unreasonable beings at all.
LOL - a shovel full of screening is a mess?