• Nov 30th, 2020 10:14 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
3580 posts
6290 upvotes
Atlantic

Neighbor's Shed

Thoughts on this shed that my neighbor is in the process of setting up? This is a semi-detached house.

Quite an eyesore from my perspective in the window.....

Pretty sure this is the type of shed that doesn't need a permit but the setbacks from property line is clearly an issue....and the fact that it's taking up so much space relative to the lot size.

Saw him setting up the shed last night....not sure how to go about confronting him about this.
Last edited by EasyCompany251 on Nov 29th, 2020 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
22 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14468 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Since it looks like a temporary structure there’s not much you can do about it. It will become a bigger issue when it blows away in a winter storm and takes down the chain link face.

Probably going to cause more of an issue bringing it up since there’s not much you or bylaw can do. Pick your battle.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49008 posts
10301 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I'm not sure how much right you have to an unobstructed view of your neighbour's backyard - the eyesore argument is not going to get anywhere.

You can try recommend them put it in another corner of the yard instead, but I think it's clear why they decided to put it here - it's an unused space that fits the dimensions nicely.
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
3580 posts
6290 upvotes
Atlantic
cartfan123 wrote: Since it looks like a temporary structure there’s not much you can do about it.
I don't think it is a temporary structure. Had a quick word with the neighbor and he mentioned something about using an auger to create holes to fasten it down.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
3580 posts
6290 upvotes
Atlantic
Jon Lai wrote: You can try recommend them put it in another corner of the yard instead, but I think it's clear why they decided to put it here - it's an unused space that fits the dimensions nicely.
I agree that the eyesore argument won't fly. Issue I have is with setbacks on property lines and the house itself. Furthermore, if you have a 100 square meter backyard, I'm pretty sure there are bylaws preventing you from building an 80 square meter structure within that area.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49008 posts
10301 upvotes
Richmond Hill
EasyCompany251 wrote: I agree that the eyesore argument won't fly. Issue I have is with setbacks on property lines and the house itself. Furthermore, if you have a 100 square meter backyard, I'm pretty sure there are bylaws preventing you from building an 80 square meter structure within that area.
My eyes may be fooling me but that shed does not look to me like it is taking up 80% of the backyard... and it looks like there's a foot in set back roughly. Not sure what the by-law says but that's a decent amount by practical means - most people butt their sheds up to the fence and nobody bats an eye.
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5768 posts
3612 upvotes
Check your bylaws
Feb 26, 2018
221 posts
255 upvotes
Have you asked to speak to the backyard's manager yet?

For a real answer, Google "(place you live) shed bylaw" and see if there are local restrictions on temporary shelters. As for the augers, that doesn't make it a permanent shelter, they need to be anchored down or they'll fly away.

Imagine this as a camping tent instead of a shelter/shed and think 'would this excuse be good enough to ask my neighbour to stop a weekend camping night in his backyard'? Augers? Not a problem, tents get fixed down. Close to the fence? You can camp anywhere on your property. As far as the law goes, this is indistinguishable from a camping tent so basically anything goes.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1995 posts
473 upvotes
I don’t think there is much you can do, it looks like a temporary structure like a soft cover storage building.
I’m afraid you have to live with it, maybe in spring plant a tree to hide that thing.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
2279 posts
2192 upvotes
For you, it is an eyesore but to the neighbour, it is perfect.
Moreover, it is NOT on your property or nearer the property border limits.
As long as it does not cause damages to your property side, why make sure a BIG fuss?
Plus the fencing is his NOT yours to worry.
I am sure your neighbour knows his property rights
“Ninety percent of all human wisdom is the ability to mind your own business.”
— Robert A. Heinlein
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1912 posts
1497 upvotes
Longueuil
It seems to be a temporary structure. Using an auger to fasten it properly simply means he is doing it right so you won't end up with his structure in your yard, it doesn't mean he will keep it all year long..
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
Don't look into your neighbour's yard and it won't be an eyesore. Downvoted
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Set back is usually 2ft, so you could ask him to move it over 6 in. Otherwise, you are out of luck unless you want to pay for a nice cedar shed for him.
Shed dimensions are usually limited to under 10x12ft, so that looks ok for him.
Install a taller fence or tree if you don't want to look at it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
Eye sore?
You probably have bylaw on speed dial!
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
3580 posts
6290 upvotes
Atlantic
vkizzle wrote: You probably have bylaw on speed dial!
lol actually i don't. If you read the original post, I was asking about how to deal with this and whether this was an issue. There was no mention of calling bylaw enforcement until you mentioned it.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
677 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Check your bylaws and see how high of a solid wood fence you can install, inside the property line on your side of that chain link one so the neighbour can't say that YOU did anything illegal. It would cost you a few bucks but will solve the problem. Your backyard looks pretty small and I don't think you'd need that many sections, the same as the one on the other side of the neighbours (although that might be a deck fence, it looks pretty high).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
EasyCompany251 wrote: lol actually i don't. If you read the original post, I was asking about how to deal with this and whether this was an issue. There was no mention of calling bylaw enforcement until you mentioned it.
How about you build a fence, instead of piggybacking on the neighbor's and mind your own business?
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
3580 posts
6290 upvotes
Atlantic
vkizzle wrote: How about you build a fence, instead of piggybacking on the neighbor's and mind your own business?
what's up with you and the hostile comments? Like seriously this thread was to ask about whether this was an issue and how to go about talking to the neighbor about it - like how reasonable people go about these things. Sure it's an eyesore from my opinion but clearly to him he likes it and might be within his right to build and have it there.

And then you just come in calling me out for "piggybacking off my neighbor", "minding my own business" and "having bylaw enforcement on speed dial"?

I have no issue with minding my own business but when you build a temporary structure 3 feet away from a semi-detached house, that I see every time I open the blinds and look out (not purposefully looking into his yard). It's going to get noticed.
Last edited by EasyCompany251 on Nov 29th, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
3580 posts
6290 upvotes
Atlantic
I've asked mods to lock and close this thread as it has clearly run its course.

Thank you all for those who contributed their opinions, ideas and experiences.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
677 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
For some reason its common on this site that you can't call anybody out for anything, people jump all over you, no matter how minor or innocent your question/comment is. Its weird.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)