• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2019 7:35 am
[OP]
Mar 16, 2007
286 posts
120 upvotes
GTA

Neighbour built a shed behind a fence

So our neighbour behind us built this shed which we found out after we came back from our vacation. Not sure if a permit is needed for such a construction or if they need our agreement before they build it as our view at the backyard is different now. I will admit that it is sort of an eyesore for me. Should I just take it as is or is there anything legally that I can do? We might want to build something in our backyard in the future as well but we are planning to apply for a permit before hand. Thanks.
Images
  • DE46973C-0976-4C70-87DA-E85FF6287710.jpeg
104 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
20890 posts
3068 upvotes
Niagara Falls
They would need a permit if the shed is larger than a certain size. In Niagara its 110 sqft, I assume it's similar in the GTA. They also need to build the shed a certain distance from the fence, I'd guess around 20 inches but you'd have to look up the bylaw on that.

Why would someone need an agreement because your view is different? Are you just going to complain because you don't like the way the roof looks? Seems rather petty imo.
Last edited by Evil Baby on Dec 16th, 2019 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Mar 16, 2007
286 posts
120 upvotes
GTA
Evil Baby wrote: They would need a permit if the shed is larger than a certain size. In Niagara its 110 sqft, I assume it's similar in the GTA. They also need to build the shed a certain distance from the fence, I'd guess around 2 inches but you'd have to look up the bylaw on that.

Why would someone need an agreement because your view is different? Are you just going to complain because you don't like the way the roof looks? Seems rather petty imo.

That is why I am asking because I am not sure. Also from the way the roof is sloped right now, if it rains hard, I worry about water pouring down to the my yard.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9634 posts
5033 upvotes
Paris
nioero wrote: That is why I am asking because I am not sure. Also from the way the roof is sloped right now, if it rains hard, I worry about water pouring down to the my yard.
Looks legal to me. Nothing you can do. Plus, really? The view? The view of your neighbours house?
Oct 24, 2016
964 posts
816 upvotes
ON
The set back distance from the fence in most municipalities I believe is 2 feet.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
[OP]
Mar 16, 2007
286 posts
120 upvotes
GTA
Jerico wrote: Looks legal to me. Nothing you can do. Plus, really? The view? The view of your neighbours house?
Lol it is just not something that we are used to. I guess I overreacted.
[OP]
Mar 16, 2007
286 posts
120 upvotes
GTA
Holystone wrote: The set back distance from the fence in most municipalities I believe is 2 feet.
Thanks. Definitely closer than 2 feet. I found in another post that it has to be more than 2 feet away in Toronto.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2924 posts
1162 upvotes
Setbacks for any structure, whether permit required, or not, are generally the same, and are usually 4 feet in most municipalities in Ontario.

Because a structure like a small shed does not need a building permit in no way means it is exempt from setback requirements.

Call your building official, and have him drop by for a visit. he will answer all your questions.

Also, because it is so poorly built, it will likely disintegrate withing a few years, and thus no longer be an eyesoere
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6070 posts
3145 upvotes
Mississauga
Mississauga is 2’ setback from the fence. When we had the final inspection of our pool, the bylaw officer also measured the distance of our equipment shed from the fence. I had purposely built it 2’ away, and the officer thanked me and said the vast majority of sheds aren’t.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12046 posts
6923 upvotes
Markham
nioero wrote: Thanks. Definitely closer than 2 feet. I found in another post that it has to be more than 2 feet away in Toronto.
Let me ask you if you wanted to build a shed, wouldn't you want to build it close to the property line as well? Let's just say for discussion purposes it's 2ft instead of a required 3 ft would you go and ask it to be moved? If it were me, just leave it be...it's not really killing your view per se. When you build yours you'll likely want it closer as well, if you leave them alone, they'll likely leave you alone.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7969 posts
2662 upvotes
Maple
OP, I would be more worry from those big branches.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3636 posts
2587 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
nioero wrote: Also from the way the roof is sloped right now, if it rains hard, I worry about water pouring down to the my yard.
The slope of the roof will not magically increase the amount of rain falling from the sky.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5655 posts
3410 upvotes
Check your local bylaws, but keep in mind if he’s a foot too close and you complain likely all that will come out of it is your neighbouring paying a few hundred bucks for a “variance” and him hating you after.
Penalty Box
Jul 14, 2014
1365 posts
347 upvotes
The offset is 25 ft in my area. I assume because the minimum lot size is 20 acres.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15637 posts
16780 upvotes
Oakville
nioero wrote: That is why I am asking because I am not sure. Also from the way the roof is sloped right now, if it rains hard, I worry about water pouring down to the my yard.
Usually the shed needs to be 2ft from the property line. Otherwise you can't do much about it if it meets all of the bylaw requirements for size/height.
If you don't like it, put up a privacy lattice on your fence.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9634 posts
5033 upvotes
Paris
kalani13291 wrote: The offset is 25 ft in my area. I assume because the minimum lot size is 20 acres.
Zoning of Estate Residential is 25-30 feet. Its been a while since I checked that. I dont think 20 acres is the minimum lost size for ER, I thought it was closer to 1.7 acres, but with minimum length and widths.
Aug 31, 2012
498 posts
152 upvotes
Toronto
It may also impact the fence negatively. If it is not proper, he should fix/move it. Property owners should check the rules BEFORE they make those types of changes. All it would have taken was a call to the City and he could have done it right the first time.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6070 posts
3145 upvotes
Mississauga
My non-expert opinion is that the setback is in place to allow for proper fence maintenance.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14238 posts
3995 upvotes
Montréal
nioero wrote: I guess I overreacted.
You think? LOL.

Don't be *that* neighbor. It's really petty esp if it really doesn't affect you.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2735 posts
2006 upvotes
Toronto
Wow.

I can't believe I'm still surprised at how some people react to things.