Tags:
[OP]
Oct 4, 2014
109 posts
22 upvotes
Montreal, QC

Neighbour Dumping Snow

I live in a Duplex
I always shovel the snow infront of my garage and clear them, throughout the driveway I run over with my 4x4 and it clear most and make it flat
I have no issue for years and now next door neighbour moved in and having his garage next to mine
He dumped big pile of snow infront my garage
when I asked he said I dont shovel so he dumped all infront my garage and ask to go clean my self
speaking up with him doesn't work out as he really rude
what can I do in this case? Is this Legal?
Images
  • 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
52 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13880 posts
8964 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Dump it back to his garage.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Oct 4, 2014
109 posts
22 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Dump it back to his garage.
But that does not give the solution no? I will make no difference between him and me, He complain that I dont shovel the driveway all the way out and running over to with my 4x4 Jeep Liberty, Honestly running over did clear all the mess but he is using Sedan so he expecting me to shovel for him?

If this continues how can I approach this?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8655 posts
2576 upvotes
Mississauga
Isn't this a form of trespassing? Call the police station and see what they can do or if they can pay the neighbours a visit.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
[OP]
Oct 4, 2014
109 posts
22 upvotes
Montreal, QC
If u see in the picture his garage just right next to mine
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16696 posts
6944 upvotes
I think the answer lies in a couple factors:
a) Is this on private property or city property?
b) What do your condo bylaws say about this or is this a freehold?

For example if this driveway is a public alley then you may have recourse with the city. If the driveways are all private property of your condo complex then it is unlikely a bylaw ticket would be issued because it is actually someone moving snow around their own property.

Your first course of action is to talk to your neighbour - that seems to have gone poorly since they are a douchebag. Your next step is to find out WHO deals with this and go see them (e.g. city, condo corp).
[OP]
Oct 4, 2014
109 posts
22 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Its private property, its duplex house which has 4 houses and 2 double garage
Im renting here so do the neighbour
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35550 posts
21614 upvotes
Center of Universe
Don't be a push over.
Dump that shit back on his side and tell him you have all day!
I'm not trying to act tough, but I don't take likely to this type of behaviour and will stand my ground.
[OP]
Oct 4, 2014
109 posts
22 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I'm gonna push over his side and gonna park my truck right infront my Garage, Next time he push over he gonna have to push over front of my truck which if I run over it will be all over his garage, but I really wonder if this is legal for him to do this, I know this is private driveway but there should be some law for this kinda neighbour, I spoke to him in very respectful manner and he called me stupid F*
Jun 12, 2009
847 posts
288 upvotes
Your garage exit layout is really problematic: two garage exits facing off, ramp going up in one direction, short wall abutting the two far-most pair of garage doors; there doesn't seem to be a place to move the snow to at all.

Am I seeing this correctly?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35550 posts
21614 upvotes
Center of Universe
FastFret wrote: Your garage exit layout is really problematic: two garage exits facing off, ramp going up in one direction, short wall abutting the two far-most pair of garage doors; there doesn't seem to be a place to move the snow to at all.

Am I seeing this correctly?
Landlord should be contracting snow removal due to the layout.
[OP]
Oct 4, 2014
109 posts
22 upvotes
Montreal, QC
yes u seeing correctly, my neighbour side he technically have to dump all the way out to driveway end
my garage I dump it to the far end of my garage which does not cause issue to anyone, the rest of driveway I usually run over back and forth with my 4x4 which clears everything off and just nice to drive away and In
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2911 posts
593 upvotes
Ancaster
You neighbour must be a complete dick. I can't fathom how he thinks that is cool.
Mar 29, 2015
229 posts
73 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Record him doing it if you can so you also have proof when you go landlord or anything.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4741 posts
5839 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Get a plow on your 4x4. Build a snowbank for him everytime you drive in and out. He asked you to shovel afterall.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16696 posts
6944 upvotes
thunderbirds wrote: Its private property, its duplex house which has 4 houses and 2 double garage
Im renting here so do the neighbour
Talk to your landlord about what they will do for snow removal.

If you start resolving it on your own by shoveling back onto your neighbours side you do risk escalating the situation. For example when you shovel it back to him, will he then take his snow + your snow + your neighbours snow and shovel it right in front of your garage so you cannot get out? Petty arguments can escalate and since you're dealing with a douchebag (based on his comments) I would think the chances of escalating are higher than normal.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2116 posts
1363 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
I can kind of see his point of view, why should only he have to shovel the drive way?
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2307 posts
581 upvotes
I'd like to hear the whole story, but I don't think that'll happen.

Bottom line, talk to your landlord....he's in the position to resolve this, not us.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33594 posts
7268 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
BeapChastard wrote: I can kind of see his point of view, why should only he have to shovel the drive way?
Still doesn’t make it right.

That is a shared driveway between 4 units. I would talk to all 4 occupants and come to some agreement on who is responsible to clear the driveway. Do it by day of the week etc.