Home & Garden

Neighbour has broken lightbulbs next to the house

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2018 4:11 pm
Aug 13, 2018
2 posts

Neighbour has broken lightbulbs next to the house

My neighbour has had around 7 broken florescent lightbulbs out next their house for the past year and a bit. I wouldn't have cared as much but we share the walkway between our two houses, AND we have a dog. We've tried to nudge our neighbour to throw them out, even telling them about locations where they can dispose of the bulbs, but they've never done anything. Is there a bylaw or something that states that you cannot have broken florescent lightbulbs improperly placed on your property? Or a number I can call that can dispose of them.

I would get rid of them myself, but they seem very dangerous. Also, my husband doesn't think we should baby them anymore... When we repaired the fences that we share with them, we ended up paying the entire fee. Whenever there's a problem that lies between our two houses, it's up to us to pay for it (our neighbours don't help us maintain the area at all, they won't even shovel the snow in the winter 90% of the time).

We just want the lightbulbs to be thrown out. Any advice?
22 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
29332 posts
10713 upvotes
Hamilton
Call 311 I suppose...
hated on but respected.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
If you’re concerned about mercury, I’m sure any mercury in the bulbs have dispersed by now.

If it bothers you, grab a garbage bag, take the bulbs to Ikea or your municipal waste Centre for proper disposal.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
Do you mean “burned out” or “expired” vs “broken” as in shattered glass?
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17869 upvotes
GTA, ON
They need to be disposed of properly as it's both a safety and environment hazard. Your neighbour is being an azz
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
l69norm wrote: Do you mean “burned out” or “expired” vs “broken” as in shattered glass?
I was confused too. Especially with the comment about the dog. In the end, I read it as burned out.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
l69norm wrote: Do you mean “burned out” or “expired” vs “broken” as in shattered glass?
Yea, sounds like OP means burned out(non-functional), not broken(shattered).

OP, if the tubes are shattered, then the mercury would have dispersed already and there really isn't any danger to you unless your dog steps on the broken glass, but it sounds like you're separated by the fence you built.

Since it does sound like they're just burned out and you really want them gone, you could offer to dispose of them.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Aug 13, 2018
2 posts
I apologize for the confusion. Half of the 7ish light bulbs are broken (ie broken glass) and the other ones are just burned out (ie no broken glass). We have a fence between us in the backyard, but the bulbs are placed in the walkway between our two houses, where there is no fence. Is is possible to call 311 and ask for them to give our neighbours to remove them?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
Hang a used condom as to glimmer in the moonlight.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2004
2354 posts
571 upvotes
If it's such a hazard for your dog, toss them out yourself. Otherwise tell your husband to just man up and tell your neighbour to pick up his trash.

You're all adults, knock on his door and speak your mind about it. Calling the city or whatever governing body to force him to remove it will just further erode any type of relationship you had with your neighbour.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
baymoe wrote: If it's such a hazard for your dog, toss them out yourself. Otherwise tell your husband to just man up and tell your neighbour to pick up his trash.

You're all adults, knock on his door and speak your mind about it. Calling the city or whatever governing body to force him to remove it will just further erode any type of relationship you had with your neighbour.
You should read op original post. The wife states " I would get rid of them myself, but they seem very dangerous. Also, my husband doesn't think we should baby them anymore... When we repaired the fences that we share with them, we ended up paying the entire fee. Whenever there's a problem that lies between our two houses, it's up to us to pay for it (our neighbours don't help us maintain the area at all, they won't even shovel the snow in the winter 90% of the time).

By reading that it sounds like their neighbours are useless to talk too.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2321 posts
1106 upvotes
Alberta
antigua1999 wrote: You should read op original post. The wife states " I would get rid of them myself, but they seem very dangerous. Also, my husband doesn't think we should baby them anymore... When we repaired the fences that we share with them, we ended up paying the entire fee. Whenever there's a problem that lies between our two houses, it's up to us to pay for it (our neighbours don't help us maintain the area at all, they won't even shovel the snow in the winter 90% of the time).

I would just take the bag of bulbs and put it over the fence in their backyard. They shouldn’t be placing dangerous items in a common walkway. If they want to store it in their own backyard then that’s their prerogative.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2004
2354 posts
571 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote:
You should read op original post. The wife states " I would get rid of them myself, but they seem very dangerous. Also, my husband doesn't think we should baby them anymore... When we repaired the fences that we share with them, we ended up paying the entire fee. Whenever there's a problem that lies between our two houses, it's up to us to pay for it (our neighbours don't help us maintain the area at all, they won't even shovel the snow in the winter 90% of the time).

I've read it. There's the perception of them that they seem dangerous, and that they are. A quick google search in how to handle and dispose of flourescent bulbs will yield some answers. Tens of millions of them were tossed out when LED became mainstream.

Husband thinks they shouldn't "baby" appears to be the main issue here. I get it, they're "crap" neighbours. What better way to stick it to them by calling someone that they're jerks for leaving trash in the communal area and by doing so burning whatever recourse they may had of a neighborly relationship. Tit for tat for not shovelling the area right?
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
679 upvotes
Downfalls of freehold ownership

I have a moron neighbor too who once tried to throw out their flourecent tube out but somehow broken glass ended up in my blue bin

Crap like this won't happen in a condo
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Gboard2 wrote: Crap like this won't happen in a condo
Nope, you're right there. You'll deal with more crazy people and a useless board; mean while hearing the neighbours above you pounding out Pantera at 11:30pm and the ones across have loud coitus all day every day.

OP, just clean it and leave it on their doorstep or call 311.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
someonefromtoronto wrote: I apologize for the confusion. Half of the 7ish light bulbs are broken (ie broken glass) and the other ones are just burned out (ie no broken glass). We have a fence between us in the backyard, but the bulbs are placed in the walkway between our two houses, where there is no fence. Is is possible to call 311 and ask for them to give our neighbours to remove them?
If there’s actual broken glass on the ground that your neighbour refuses to clean up, report it to 311. They might send a bylaw officer around to ticket/ fine your neighbour
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
679 upvotes
koffey wrote: Nope, you're right there. You'll deal with more crazy people and a useless board; mean while hearing the neighbours above you pounding out Pantera at 11:30pm and the ones across have loud coitus all day every day.

OP, just clean it and leave it on their doorstep or call 311.
Condo boards are great. They deal with the crazies and degenerates who reside in building, in a freehold, you are powerless

311 doesn't do anything. I've called, they said they'll send someone to "educate" them about garbage/blue bin. The moron neighbor doesn't even know when's garbage week and racoons get through his garbage sometimes and crap is all over the street. His lawn is full of weeds and he smokes and neighbor across the street has tried to speak to him about flicking cigarettes

Actually condos enforce sound bylaws after 11pm, no smoking in the building at all (current smokers grandfather), lawn and fence is kept maintained and no ugly doors/Fence that are peeling

Meanwhile, I'm the one wearing gloves and cleaning out broken glass from my blue bin with occasional food scraps and garbage on driveway/lawn from when neighbor down the street leaves garbage out over night
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Gboard2 wrote: Condo boards are great. They deal with the crazies and degenerates who reside in building, in a freehold, you are powerless

311 doesn't do anything. I've called, they said they'll send someone to "educate" them about garbage/blue bin. The moron neighbor doesn't even know when's garbage week and racoons get through his garbage sometimes and crap is all over the street. His lawn is full of weeds and he smokes and neighbor across the street has tried to speak to him about flicking cigarettes

Actually condos enforce sound bylaws after 11pm, no smoking in the building at all (current smokers grandfather), lawn and fence is kept maintained and no ugly doors/Fence that are peeling

Meanwhile, I'm the one wearing gloves and cleaning out broken glass from my blue bin with occasional food scraps and garbage on driveway/lawn from when neighbor down the street leaves garbage out over night
lol, you keep your condo and I'll keep my house. I suspect the majority of complaints on these boards are more issues with condos, unless it's a shared driveway, I'll suspect that my original statement stands correct.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Gboard2 wrote: Downfalls of freehold ownership

I have a moron neighbor too who once tried to throw out their flourecent tube out but somehow broken glass ended up in my blue bin

Crap like this won't happen in a condo
There is such a huge list of other crap that goes with condos, that I will gladly take the freedom of a freehold. I don't have any scummy neighbours though.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Gboard2 wrote: Condo boards are great. They deal with the crazies and degenerates who reside in building, in a freehold, you are powerless

I think you are the only person I have come across to say "Condo boards are great" lolol. You can keep your condo thanks.