• Aug 7th, 2021 10:20 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2005
1214 posts
124 upvotes
GTA

Neighbour house sold leaving garbage

Our neighbour sold their house and leaving garbage all over the place. I think it was the (basement) tenant who left the garbage.
The neighbour has moved back to home country and tenant left afterwards (leaving all the garbage).
Racoons have already made a mess with the garbage.

Called the realtor but no avail. It seems they don't really care after the house is sold eh
I just called the by-law officer, it doesn't sound promising. They will have the case assigned within 5 business days and then it will depend on the officer how they will act; site visit, etc.

Anything else to do?

NOTE:
Issue has been resolved!
Images
  • 20210803_195854_blr2.jpg
  • 20210803_195913C.jpg
Last edited by tokiwadai on Aug 6th, 2021 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
71 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2005
1214 posts
124 upvotes
GTA
derass wrote: You could put their bins out on collection day. The collection truck should take the stuff at the curb too. At least the mattress boxspring anyways. I would move it off the sidewalk too.

https://www.toronto.ca/services-payment ... tal-items/
I was planning to help with the recycle (pushing the the bin on the curb side) since this week is the schedule for recycle. I did the same for the garbage one last week.
But i noticed they have already mixed the garbage and recycle in the recycle bin (and it's becoming so heavy loaded with all kinds of garbage), besides it's already a mess with garbage all over the place.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14316 posts
9085 upvotes
Markham
tokiwadai wrote: I was planning to help with the recycle (pushing the the bin on the curb side) since this week is the schedule for recycle. I did the same for the garbage one last week.
But i noticed they have already mixed the garbage and recycle in the recycle bin (and it's becoming so heavy loaded with all kinds of garbage), besides it's already a mess with garbage all over the place.
Since the former owner is gone...you could call them perhaps as they might have family around who might be nice enough to take care of the mess.

Other than bugging the R/E agent I think unfortunately the "work" falls on you as the city is not quick on this stuff. Perhaps bag the recycle stuff and put it into regular garbage?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6833 posts
3807 upvotes
Mississauga
Isn’t living next to a rental property awesome!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17910 posts
15360 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
As the house is SOLD and the Previous Owner has left the country
I say you have 4 choices here

1- Do it yourself. Which as you described would be a fair amount of work .. and getting yourself dirty … cuz as you say the stuff is all integrated now garbage with recycling. Downside = Most work for you. Upside = Done the soonest

2- Leave it up to the city to sort out … you just haul it all to the curb. Downside = This might require additional follow up with the city … if they deem stuff not in the right bin and decide to leave stuff on the curb. BUT … they will be more prone to act sooner than later if the bins are on the curb (vs # 3 … where bins are at side / rear of neighbours house )

3- Call it into Bylaw … and hope they EVENTUALLY deal with it. That could take awhile.

4- Leave it be. And have the NEW Owner deal with it whenever they arrive on the scene.

So 1 to 4 … Soonest to latest, and effort high to low. What you choose to do is gonna depend no doubt on how much time & energy you wish to assign it … and no doubt how much it bugs you as is
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5309 posts
1631 upvotes
0 downvotes
Where does it say the former owner left the country? I cant find it anywhere in this post. We had a next door neighbor who moved out and left a TON of garbage IN front of their house, i mean ton, like mattresses', box springs, piles of wood, and broken junk and garbage bags full of crap. The NEW owners came in and were very unimpressed and spoke to their Realator who thus contacted the former owners realator and got in touch with the previous owners, next thing you know a You Hawl showed up late one nite and the old owner filled it with all the junk he left behind when morning came the property was clean as a whistle.

call your Realator and tell them. its your right
Hi
Sep 20, 2010
271 posts
280 upvotes
Hamilton
I had something similar when renters moved out in the house next door. Not sure if it was the renters or the clean up crew they may have hired, but someone ended up putting their trash in our bins. I would have been ok if they asked me first, but just hate people thinking they have that right.

I called the real estate agent and he came and picked the garbage out of our bins and took care of it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2005
1214 posts
124 upvotes
GTA
gr8dlr wrote:
Since the former owner is gone...you could call them perhaps as they might have family around who might be nice enough to take care of the mess.

Other than bugging the R/E agent I think unfortunately the "work" falls on you as the city is not quick on this stuff. Perhaps bag the recycle stuff and put it into regular garbage?
Somebody has already picked up the garbage on the curb side/ side-walk one (only). Looks like my other neighbour is also complaining. Talked with the pick up guy and he told me he's a friend of the previous owner who called him last night. Unfortunately he won't clean up the messy garbage, the one in front of the house entrance.
Too disgusting, he said

kobe360 wrote: I had something similar when renters moved out in the house next door. Not sure if it was the renters or the clean up crew they may have hired, but someone ended up putting their trash in our bins. I would have been ok if they asked me first, but just hate people thinking they have that right.

I called the real estate agent and he came and picked the garbage out of our bins and took care of it.
Good to know there are good R/E agent.
I'm thinking to call the company the agent belongs to and make the complaint, rather than talked w the agent directly which I have already done.
Last edited by tokiwadai on Aug 4th, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3532 posts
2530 upvotes
Toronto
This is when you keep the security deposit and call 1-800-got-junk.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12669 posts
9281 upvotes
Edmonton
torontotim wrote: This is when you keep the security deposit and call 1-800-got-junk.
What security deposit? The one that’s not legal in Ontario?

C
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17910 posts
15360 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
GoodFellaz wrote: Where does it say the former owner left the country? I cant find it anywhere in this post.
We had a next door neighbor who moved out and left a TON of garbage IN front of their house, i mean ton, like mattresses', box springs, piles of wood, and broken junk and garbage bags full of crap. The NEW owners came in and were very unimpressed and spoke to their Realator who thus contacted the former owners realator and got in touch with the previous owners, next thing you know a You Hawl showed up late one nite and the old owner filled it with all the junk he left behind when morning came the property was clean as a whistle.

call your Realator and tell them. its your right
tokiwadai wrote: Our neighbour sold their house and leaving garbage all over the place. I think it was the (basement) tenant who left the garbage.
The neighbour has moved back to home country and tenant left afterwards (leaving all the garbage).
Racoons have already made mess already with the garbage.

Called the realtor but no avail. It seems they don't really care after the house is sold eh
I just called the by-law officer and it doesn't sound promising. They will have the case assigned within 5 business days and then it will depend on the officer how they will act; site visit, etc.

Anything else to do?
Most Real Estate Agents won’t care
Their job is done
Be it for the Seller’s … or the Buyer’s Agent

Their job isn’t home maintenance
It’s to list, show, sell, close

When we sell our houses we’ve ALWAYS been uber conscious about taking all our stuff with us…
Or disposing of anything we don’t want / need
And leaving a relatively clean house
Even been known to sweep, vacuum, or mop floors

When we move into a resale house
I have to admit we’ve seen it all
Not uncommon for some Sellers to leave junk = stuff they don’t want behind
(Although not inherited anyone’s actual rotting garbage)

When we buy … we almost always have allowed for an overlap between Closing & Move in of a few days / week(s)
Dependent upon what needs to be done
Typical timeframe we use to Clean, Paint, Steam Clean Carpet, Sanitize Appliances
Or any major Reno’s … like refit Bathrooms etc

The smallest job ever was a perfect move in ready house
Only needed to do basic cleaning
That was a dream move
(Thank goodness … cuz it happened during a Winter Deepfreeze )
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1094 posts
542 upvotes
Longueuil
Personally I would simply call the city to get them involved. Make sure to mention that the sidewalk cannot be used because of the junk. Usually it will get them to act pretty fast because of people with physical disabilities (it is a very sensitive subject in my city).
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12375 posts
1226 upvotes
Brampton
Perhaps your local city councilor could help.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1668 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Previous owners of my pace left some crap. Called the lawyer handling the transaction on my end and they dealt with it.

Let the buyer engage their lawyer.. Go have a chat with them once they get possession.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17910 posts
15360 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
KevinM56081 wrote: Previous owners of my pace left some crap. Called the lawyer handling the transaction on my end and they dealt with it.

Let the buyer engage their lawyer.. Go have a chat with them once they get possession.
I hear you …

But little good that does the OP if the closing date is weeks / months from now

Summer heat (30 C ish today in the GTA) … and the sight, smell, and nastiness will just increase
Not to forget the Racoons will tell all their friends 🦝🦝🦝
Who will have every rodent for 5 miles showing up in no time
RatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRat

Right now … this crap belongs to the Seller
And seeing as he’s left the country
Then it’s in “no man’s land”

City can do the leg work
And levy any fines etc
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1668 upvotes
Clarington, ON
PointsHubby wrote: I hear you …

But little good that does the OP if the closing date is weeks / months from now

Summer heat (30 C ish today in the GTA) … and the sight, smell, and nastiness will just increase
Not to forget the Racoons will tell all their friends 🦝🦝🦝
Who will have every rodent for 5 miles showing up in no time
RatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRatRat

Right now … this crap belongs to the Seller
And seeing as he’s left the country
Then it’s in “no man’s land”

City can do the leg work
And levy any fines etc
Agree. If time frame is that long though it's a operty standards issue and back to municipal law which op has already contacted. Vicious cycle!