• Mar 20th, 2019 6:45 pm
[OP]
Oct 4, 2014
109 posts
22 upvotes
Montreal, QC

Neighbour/Landlord Complaint issue

I moved to new apartment duplex staying upstairs 2 months ago
My downstairs neighbour few times complained to the landlord saying i make noise like 2-3am in the morning which not true since on one occasion I was outside when the tenant downstairs complained and I have proof that I was not home, now my landlord send me notice that will take legal action, this is false accusation and what do I do?
21 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18711 posts
21395 upvotes
GTA
Contact your local tenant association.
Ask the downstairs neighbour if they have recording. Maybe some appliance is making a lot of noise. Maybe the duct work is. Maybe it's coming from somewhere else and they're are mistaken.
As far as I'm concerned, no recording, no proof.
It lower tenants are just being jerks, record every sound they make and make a counter complaint.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
15172 posts
12552 upvotes
GTA, ON
Is this the same neighbour you were complaing about before????

neighbour dumping snow
thunderbirds wrote: I live in a Duplex
I always shovel the snow infront of my garage and clear them, throughout the driveway I run over with my 4x4 and it clear most and make it flat
I have no issue for years and now next door neighbour moved in and having his garage next to mine
He dumped big pile of snow infront my garage
when I asked he said I dont shovel so he dumped all infront my garage and ask to go clean my self
speaking up with him doesn't work out as he really rude
what can I do in this case? Is this Legal?
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1291 posts
1216 upvotes
ON
chimaican wrote: Is this the same neighbour you were complaing about before????

neighbour dumping snow
Nope. The OP rented that place for six years. Seems he moved right after that snow shoveling altercation with his new neighbor.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2312 posts
1661 upvotes
SW Ontario
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13002 posts
9929 upvotes
Edmonton
thunderbirds wrote: I moved to new apartment duplex staying upstairs 2 months ago
My downstairs neighbour few times complained to the landlord saying i make noise like 2-3am in the morning which not true since on one occasion I was outside when the tenant downstairs complained and I have proof that I was not home, now my landlord send me notice that will take legal action, this is false accusation and what do I do?
Well, the first thing I’d do in your situation is talk to the landlord, and say “WTF?” Give him your side of the story.

I’d also be talking to the local landlord tenant board, whoever that is in QC. See if your landlord is following the rules about issuing you a complaint like this.

C
[OP]
Oct 4, 2014
109 posts
22 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Hi no that's old place I had
I moved since separated
Living alone now and have my kids few times a week

I barely make any noise
Even washer i dont run it after 7pm

All the complaints downstairs neighbour makes doesn't make sense because the time she said I make noise i was in deep sleep

Another time she complained during 1am I was outside in downtown. I even got ticket which I showed my landlord proving I'm not home and how police give me ticket during the time the noise came

The landlord keep saying I understand but I need to take actions against the complaint giving by the tenant

To which he said one more complaint he will take me to rental board

My question is what happen if he take me to rental board
Do they cancel my lease ?

Being a single father not easy for me to find a place and I try to be good tenant as I can to keep the place but with such false allegation I dont know what to do

Causing me lot of stress
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18711 posts
21395 upvotes
GTA
thunderbirds wrote: Hi no that's old place I had
I moved since separated

I barely make any noise

All the complaints downstairs neighbour makes doesn't make sense because the time she said I make noise i was in deep sleep

Another time she complained during 1am I was outside in downtown. I even got ticket which I showed my landlord proving I'm not home and how police give me ticket during the time the noise came

The landlord keep saying I understand but I need to take actions against the complaint giving by the tenant

Being a single father not easy for me to find a place and I try to be good tenant as I can to keep the place but with such false allegation I dont know what to do

Causing me lot of stress
Maybe you snore loudly? lol Download the Do I Snore app that records sounds from your sleep.

I guess there's not much you can do if they insist. I would assume the rental board would hear both of your cases and make a judgment. It should be easy to prove if they have no evidence and you have proof you weren't home at the time.
No dog right?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14731 posts
10880 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
What kind of noise we talking about? Sex noise?
thunderbirds wrote: I moved to new apartment duplex staying upstairs 2 months ago

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
4148 posts
983 upvotes
Complain about the other tenant more so they get kicked out lol
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2312 posts
1661 upvotes
SW Ontario
Are they sure the noise is upstairs, and not outside?
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35180 posts
8632 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Jon Lai wrote: Sounds like your landlord is not interested in solving the problem, he just wants to show the other tenant he’s doing something to address their complaint so they don’t report him to the board.
Sounds like he wants to get rid of him and probably has another tenant willing to pay more rent.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8575 posts
2347 upvotes
Mississauga
thunderbirds wrote: Hi no that's old place I had
I moved since separated

I barely make any noise

Causing me lot of stress
Do you have carpet on all the floors or is it hardwood, laminate or tile. If you dont have carpet that where you should start.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3217 posts
3130 upvotes
Montreal
Wait until (if ever) the landlord sends you the legal notice then blank out personal info and post it here and we'll see exactly what is being claimed.

Surely it's not based on a single event, so it seems we are missing some info...
[OP]
Oct 4, 2014
109 posts
22 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I dont have pets
I dont snore much
The 1st incident because dryer was running at 8pm first time I moved so I apologized and stop running dryer
I put rubber mat under the dryer to reduce noise on daytime
Carpet in living room corridor and bedroom
My 6 years old he dont run around or make loud noise
It's very seldom he cry even
He go to bed by 8pm during weekdays
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1468 posts
277 upvotes
Grimsby
Gee wrote: Sounds like he wants to get rid of him and probably has another tenant willing to pay more rent.
Perhaps the downstairs tenant is afraid now a male has moved in the flat above. Understandable but not nice.

I would definitely write something and send to the landlord even if to show I have taken notice and dispute the claim.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
15172 posts
12552 upvotes
GTA, ON
I didn't want to ask this because I expect society to be perfect however under the circumstances something seems off. What is your ethnic background and what is the ethnic background of the one complaining?

Noise at 8pm shouldn't be a problem. I'd ask the landlord if there have been previous complaints of noise from the previous renters. Either you're extremely loud and don't realize it, the neighbour is overly sensitive, the home is built like crap, or if race is an issue, the person is a racist.

The above poster could be right as well, is the tenant below a woman? People in general are weird.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Oct 4, 2014
109 posts
22 upvotes
Montreal, QC
chimaican wrote: I didn't want to ask this because I expect society to be perfect however under the circumstances something seems off. What is your ethnic background and what is the ethnic background of the one complaining?

Noise at 8pm shouldn't be a problem. I'd ask the landlord if there have been previous complaints of noise from the previous renters. Either you're extremely loud and don't realize it, the neighbour is overly sensitive, the home is built like crap, or if race is an issue, the person is a racist.

The above poster could be right as well, is the tenant below a woman? People in general are weird.
Hi I'm brown, Neighbour downstairs is Black woman
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12631 posts
2720 upvotes
Toronto
Person could have mental issues.