Real Estate

Which neighbourhood to buy in Toronto/GTA?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2021 3:13 pm
[OP]
Nov 22, 2009
160 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto

Which neighbourhood to buy in Toronto/GTA?

Hi everyone, I'm a professional that works from home and go to the office once/twice a week. I would like to start a family soon and move to a bigger place and in the process of gathering the most suitable neighbourhoods before getting a realtor involved

I'm looking for a few things:
1. Good schools (7 or above in the rating)
2. Safe neighbourhood with somewhat similar education level/professionals with kids
3. Commutable by public transit: family and friends are in downtown/midtown Toronto so ideally they can come help with the baby
4. Ideally detached but maybe needs to be semi
5. Budget $1,2m

Any thoughts or ideas on neighbourhoods?
Last edited by vbomb on Aug 24th, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 replies
Feb 10, 2008
631 posts
491 upvotes
Thats a huge range of a budget if its meant to say $1-$2M...

With that budget and your other criteria I would say Leaside is a good area that fits your wants/needs.
[OP]
Nov 22, 2009
160 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto
Tokic_o wrote: Thats a huge range of a budget if its meant to say $1-$2M...

With that budget and your other criteria I would say Leaside is a good area that fits your wants/needs.
Oh I mean $1,200,000 not $1-2m
Apr 14, 2021
14 posts
14 upvotes
Burlington is good. I am there and love it. Oakville is more expensive but you can still get something for if trying hard 1.2M.
My family is mixed since I am from Asia and my hubby is from Europe so we want a place that doesn't have strong minority cause we want our kid to be well rounded.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
2652 posts
3174 upvotes
If you can stretch to 1.4m, then maybe semis at Davisville or north of Lawrence on the Yonge subway line. There would be other options in the east end of city on the subway line, but it's a good ways to the family unless you drive.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
3250 posts
6220 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
vbomb wrote: Hi everyone, I'm a professional that works from home and go to the office once/twice a week. I would like to start a family soon and move to a bigger place and in the process of gathering the most suitable neighbourhoods before getting a realtor involved

2. Safe neighbourhood with somewhat similar education level/professionals with kids
3. Commutable by public transit: family and friends are in downtown/midtown Toronto so ideally they can come help with the baby
5. Budget $1,2m

If you want to stay in Toronto with that budget your best value imo will be Port Union and it will be slim pickings.
RE Broker
Jan 27, 2018
534 posts
523 upvotes
Try Markham... Links (pretty much a detached as just symbolic link) are still available in good school rankings... Don't think 6 months later these will be available at that range... Will probably goto $1.3+ range in few months.
Deal Guru
Sep 14, 2003
10876 posts
974 upvotes
Mississauga
vbomb wrote: Hi everyone, I'm a professional that works from home and go to the office once/twice a week. I would like to start a family soon and move to a bigger place and in the process of gathering the most suitable neighbourhoods before getting a realtor involved

5. Budget $1,2m

At $1.2, you're looking for a small fixer-upper. In Leaside, a fixer-upper semi is going for $1.7M.

Inside Metro proper, you're looking at something like this: https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2355 ... entre-west

What you're looking for above is basically not possible. You have to budge on at least one of the 5. If you want the first three, you'll probably have to live in a condo for that money.
4chan melts your brain.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6517 posts
3788 upvotes
Thornhill
There are a host of neighbourhoods within the GTA that meet your budget.

The problem is they are reduced by the schhol ranking and distance from the subway, will either be semis, small detached, limited parking if any or need work.

Use a property search site, this is TRREB's to search for properties between $900,000 and $1,200,000. Even though I've used your cap, only properties at that price listed for more than 10 days will actually be within your budget.

North and east of the Beaches will probably have the most listings and better opportunities try to stay below Eglinton.

If you find any, research the schools. You can also hire a Realtor to do the leg work with and for you.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2014
2424 posts
2461 upvotes
Tokic_o wrote: Thats a huge range of a budget if its meant to say $1-$2M...

Not for $1.2M unless OP wants to live in a condo in Leaside. Semi's are going for $1.4M - $1.940M (one sold last year). Detached pricing range various from $1.8+M (old) to $4.0+M (new). There are some townhomes in the area but they are over $1.2+M - $2.0+M and rarely for sale. For commuting downtown or biking down the paths, it's a great location.

For a detached up to $1.2M, you are going to need to look just east of DVP, south of Ellesmere, Victoria Park, Pharmacy, etc.
[OP]
Nov 22, 2009
160 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto
Out of all the 5 criteria, I'd re-arrange it to make public transportation lowest...

What dose everyone think about Mimico, Long Branch and Stonegate-Queensway - Etobicoke area?
Any thoughts? Seems slightly more affordable...