Home & Garden

Neighbour's Not Picking Up after their Dog - what to do?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2021 3:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5947 posts
2463 upvotes
Debtario

Neighbour's Not Picking Up after their Dog - what to do?

Got some new backyard neighbours, and here we go again with new characters. Not a great start.

Younger couple, bought the place behind my house after the previous old lady could no longer maintain it, they have a young german shepard that they've trained to come over to the property line and take a dump. Their yard is larger, so their house is further away, while my lot is rectangular along the street, house is closer to the rear property line. The dog stays on their side, but they never clean up the poop! it's getting ridiculous. They just pop out of the house with the dog and walk around to the back of their property, right in front of my kitchen window and the dog just unleashes its load.

If the dog doesn't do its business, they pet its tummy and run around in circles until it craps, then they go back in the house with it. The shit is piling up, literally. When the guy steps out with the dog a night, he carries a flashlight so that he doesn't step in doo-doo.

I wanted to confront them about it but if they see me outside they do not come over to let the dog crap, they actually turn around and walk the other way to avoid interaction. At night if I turn on the back porch light or open the door, same thing, they head back towards the house.

What would you do? The only saving grace here is at least they are keeping the dog on leash and off my yard, though I can already see things getting really smelly once it gets sunny - the piles are about a foot away from the yard line and my house is about maybe 30 feet from there. Curious to see what they'll do when it comes time to mow the lawn, just drive over it? lol. Building a fence is an option here though won't solve odor issues, I'm already considering dog-repelling and poisonous or at least thorny plants (had great success deploying nettle against another a-hole neighbour in the past)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
84 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2431 posts
380 upvotes
North York
Um, how about you talk to them normally instead of posting here about needing to confront them?

Two a-hole neighbours in a row, eh? Interesting conincidence.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1355 posts
966 upvotes
Etobicoke
it's on there side....dont know what your issue is, And frankly it won't smell. It will dehydrate .
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5897 posts
2753 upvotes
Toronto
I think this is pretty common. I know people who do this, and their train of thought is they don't actually use the yard - they garden, but no one's playing sports, running, being active in the yard - so why bother picking it up. When the snow melts every year, it leaves behind a minefield of fossilized bombs. And yes - they mow right over it.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4834 posts
3701 upvotes
Maybe ringing the doorbell and talking to them instead of waiting to catch them when they're outside especially if they're making a point of avoiding you...at least they're aware it's an issue for you - I don't see the harm in that. And if they're unwilling to do anything about it then I would consider planting hedges instead of a fence. It would be more of eyesore than smell.

One house on my street that also has a german shepherd, they left the dog poop all winter long on the lawn. I feel so bad for this dog because they never take it for a walk and just tie to the porch for its outing and bathroom break - the dog literally had to sit in its own shit. Fortunately, they did clean up all the poop once the snow melted but it was pretty disgusting.
xxxray wrote: it's on there side....dont know what your issue is, And frankly it won't smell. It will dehydrate .
Clearly you're the type of person to do this sort of thing if you can't what the issue is. :rolleyes:
Oct 2, 2018
705 posts
569 upvotes
Toronto
It is their own property and no law against their dog pooping in their private property. It obviously bothers you so much you can ask if you can clean it up they might get the idea but I suspect it will be short lived. Alternately the old saying of "a fence makes good neighbours" is your only real solution and thoroughly within your rights to put one up.
Youth is the gift of nature, while age is a work of art.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1222 posts
685 upvotes
Ripley
1. Get them a pooper scooper service gift certificate as a housewarming gift.
2. Ring their doorbell and talk to them.
3. Build a fence.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3044 posts
1637 upvotes
Mississauga
You can talk to them about it
But
Since it appears to be that the shit is not on your side....why do you care?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16800 posts
18492 upvotes
Oakville
There might be bylaws about animal feces in your area. Look up or call your city bylaw office.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17052 posts
14436 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
engineered wrote: There might be bylaws about animal feces in your area. Look up or call your city bylaw office.
This

It can also fall into the lack of yard maintenance category ... like not cutting grass, allowing noxious weeds to grow wild, or just tossing ones garbage bags in the back yard until they pile up

(That last one I actually had once in a neighbour when I lived in a semi ... and the 1/2 next door were renters )

Call your city / municipal jurisdiction ... and ask questions on what is isn’t allowed by property owners.

If it’s against city bylaws ... the city will send them a registered letter to fix it
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1503 posts
610 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
You can't just leave poop on your lawn to pile up, it becomes a health issue. Of course there are bylaws in place that you have to pick it up on a timely basis. If you're in Toronto, call 311 and ask for their assistance. I've had to call them a few times for several issues, and they've been really good at responding.
Oct 2, 2018
705 posts
569 upvotes
Toronto
I have squirrels pooping on my grass, raccoons pooping on my grass, the odd rabbit pooping on my grass, insects pooping on my grass....note to self call bylaw officers to issue those critters a letter. This is even a worse scenario as they are not pooping on their private property but others haha.

Save yourself the grief, build a fence.
Youth is the gift of nature, while age is a work of art.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17052 posts
14436 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
oilerfan89 wrote: Fence.
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: I have squirrels pooping on my grass, raccoons pooping on my grass, the odd rabbit pooping on my grass, insects pooping on my grass....note to self call bylaw officers to issue those critters a letter. This is even a worse scenario as they are not pooping on their private property but others haha.

Save yourself the grief, build a fence.
How exactly does a fence help ?

The dog is doing his biz on the owners property.

But it’s still a health hazard.

The dog owner seems to be PURPOSELY NOT PICKING UP THE DOG SH!T

Although, personally if I was the OP, I would prob give the new neighbours a bit more time.

Lots of folks let their dogs crap in their backyards all winter ... then hire a clean up service in the Spring.

Again, OP should call the City / Municipality for info on what the Bylaws are ... there may very well a CLEAN BY DATE for this sort of thing
Nov 10, 2019
294 posts
205 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: How exactly does a fence help ?

Although, personally if I was the OP, I would prob give the new neighbours a bit more time.

Lots of folks let their dogs crap in their backyards all winter ... then hire a clean up service in the Spring.

Again, OP should call the City / Municipality for info on what the Bylaws are ... there may very well a CLEAN BY DATE for this sort of thing
Don't be ridiculous unless you have 20 dogs piling up dog poop there is no way their single dog pooping on their own side of the lawn should raise any health concerns. No you are not going to get sick or die from it.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5060 posts
1533 upvotes
0 downvotes
sounds like you dont have fences yet? rite? maybe just scoop up their poop off your property and push it further back on theirs, problem solved?
Hi
May 15, 2017
227 posts
229 upvotes
If people think it's no big deal you've clearly never had a neighbour who never cleans up their dog shit.

My new neighbour does this and in the summer it is brutal - the smell of the heat cooking the $hit is vomit-worthy and makes it so I can't hang out on my deck.

The other part is when they do "clean" it up, they just move it to a common pile in another part of the yard.

People should pick up their shit very regularly and throw it in the trash. I would never defend someone who has feces all over their property and makes zero effort to clean it up even semi-regularly to keep the smell down. Winter is fine - but when 20+ degree weather hits in the summer - trust me, it smells. Also, it doesn't break down quickly, it can hang around for a while.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17052 posts
14436 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
For the record ...

I DID NOT MAKE THIS SH!T UP ...

There are indeed LAWS & BYLAWS in Ontario that cover dog poop ... and they apply to BOTH Tenants, and Homeowners

https://ontariolandlordandtenantlaw.blo ... scoop.html
Every owner of a dog shall remove from his or her premises, in a timely manner, feces left by such dog, so as not to disturb the enjoyment, comfort, convenience of any person in the vicinity of the premises.
The attached refers to Ottawa ... but there are similar in most Ontario Municipalities
All you have to do is look them up
Then file the appropriate complaint
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4861 posts
1393 upvotes
Wat
That's gross. The dog probably steps in it and then goes back in the house.. probably dog crap bits all over the house too.
Sep 15, 2017
593 posts
590 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: How exactly does a fence help ?

A fence would make it further none of OPs business like it should be. Health concern LOL