Food & Drink

Neilson TruTaste Bag Milk Packaging Shrinks from 4 to 3 litres!

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2016 8:22 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2014
1255 posts
241 upvotes
Burrowborough

Neilson TruTaste Bag Milk Packaging Shrinks from 4 to 3 litres!

Just noticed in Loblaws today that Neilson TruTaste; one of the brands of microfiltered milk that I purchase is just in the process of switching over to a new smaller packaging.

The old 4 litre bag milk (with 3 bags inside) is now becoming a 3 litre bag milk (still with 3 bags inside). The (regular) price for Homogenized has dropped from $6.79 to $5.19 - a 23.5% price drop for 25% less product - so they're not throwing on the big price increase just yet. I imagine they'll get people used to the smaller size first and then gradually creep the price back up (the standard operating procedure for these type of packaging shenanigans).

I didn't purchase one today because my more immediate concern was how well the new smaller bags would fit in the standard plastic bag milk dispensers. I find it hard to believe they have engineered the bag to fit in the old units but that remains to be seen. Perhaps they will have some sort of promotion to distribute the new "improved" dispensers.
221 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
17489 posts
4571 upvotes
Toronto
Thank-you for the good eye!
Will this also apply to other milk next?
I doubt the size of the bag has changed much. There was a large enough gap already hanging outside the top of the dispenser.
Make no mistake! This IS a price increase!
$6.79 x3 = (12 Litres) $20.37
$5.19x4= (also 12 Litres) $20.76
Banned
May 12, 2004
9758 posts
4120 upvotes
Ottawa
For 40 years it's been 4 liters...just raise the f'in price you greedy pigs, we're not all mentally challenged. I hate when they treat us like fools.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14970 posts
1261 upvotes
Markham
wow... this needs to appear on TV news... shame on them
ShadowVlican
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22171 posts
2830 upvotes
how does this fit with the milk jug holder?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
17489 posts
4571 upvotes
Toronto
george__ wrote: how does this fit with the milk jug holder?
We're all waiting for someone else to waste the money to find out. :)
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
17489 posts
4571 upvotes
Toronto
My local No Frills is selling the 3 Litre TruTaste bags for only $4.49 ($4.99 for Homogenized)
I'm honestly not sure if it's just that store or not, or if it's just a sale for this week or what...??
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7599 posts
1059 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for pointing this out.

Not a good thing at all. I'm sure - eventually - the others will follow.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6504 posts
2508 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: Thank-you for the good eye!
Will this also apply to other milk next?
I doubt the size of the bag has changed much. There was a large enough gap already hanging outside the top of the dispenser.
Make no mistake! This IS a price increase!
$6.79 x3 = (12 Litres) $20.37
$5.19x4= (also 12 Litres) $20.76
Its honestly not a noticeable increase, only a difference of $0.39, & thats after accounting for 3 or 4 purchases. However, expect a much steeper "real" price increase in the future.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5255 posts
693 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder if instead of shrinking the bags by much if they will instead just fill them less.

This type of crap is getting out of hand.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
5890 posts
6938 upvotes
The NORTH
Didn't Bacon just get smaller? 375g packages instead of 500g? Cheese? 400g instead of 500g?
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22171 posts
2830 upvotes
kr0zet wrote: Didn't Bacon just get smaller? 375g packages instead of 500g? Cheese? 400g instead of 500g?
And the Bacon's cut soooo thin, it's like useless
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6630 posts
963 upvotes
I'm waiting for loaves of bread to get smaller, and everything.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18032 posts
1039 upvotes
this is so pathetic.. All in the name of profit of course too
Banned
May 12, 2004
9758 posts
4120 upvotes
Ottawa
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: Time to cross them off my grocery list.
That's what I'm doing..but apparently the masses are too dumb to stand up for themselves and stop taking it in the pooper. I have not purchased "frozen desert" or anything from companies pushing "frozen deserts". I have not once purchased 'chocolate beverage'. I only buy my bacon at Costco (500g) so Maple Leaf can kiss my blowhole. If more people would wake up maybe they'd get the message...

It's incredibly insulting knowing they have a bunch of arrogant MBA's sitting in a conference room thinking they can quietly outsmart all of us.
duckdown wrote: this is so pathetic.. All in the name of profit of course too
I have no problem with them making profit, they are after all public companies in a capitalist country. My issue is treating us like door knobs trying to pull fast ones. Raise what I pay by 2% every year...I'm not making more money but I'm willing to accept your costs are also going up...but don't treat me like a fool and sell me 2/3 of what I used to get for 20% less money so I 'think' I'm getting a deal...that's insulting my intelligence and you're going straight to my boycott list.

Don't get me started on Krapt and General Mill and ConAgra buying the small competition and trying to buy the monopoly of what goes in our mouths.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
17489 posts
4571 upvotes
Toronto
JohnB wrote: I'm waiting for loaves of bread to get smaller, and everything.
Bread already started a while back in stores. The 12 grain, stone ground, etc are now 600g instead of 680g. (Think Country harvest brand etc)
Go to Dollarama-They now carry Weston bread. the 450g loaf is still $1.25 and has not changed, but the $2 twelve grain loaf is now 570g, down from 600g.
(...and here I was expecting the price to go up to $2.25-they shrank the loaf instead)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2014
1255 posts
241 upvotes
Burrowborough
With this packaging change Neilson is essentially removing one of the primary advantage of buying milk in bags - it was their "bulk purchase" option. Now if you want more than a standard 2 litre carton; you're only slightly upsizing by going to the 3 litre bag.

On the plus side; it may make their more obsessive customers happy in that each bag now will contain an even litre of milk rather than 1.33333333333333.. litres ;)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7599 posts
1059 upvotes
GTA
I emailed them just to let them know I wouldn't be buying the product anymore. Not that I think it will make any difference.

With a one year old we go through a lot of milk. I don't want to buy less than 4 litres at a time. 25% is a big reduction.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never