Nespresso Pods & Cups

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2021 11:29 am
[OP]
Apr 21, 2008
152 posts
139 upvotes

Nespresso Pods & Cups

Purchased the Nespresso Virtuo Next (with Aeroccino) from Costco over Christmas.

Couple of questions as a new owner:

1. Where are you purchasing your pods from? Are there cheaper/affordable options for pods?

2. Outside of Amazon, where can I find clear double-walled mugs to show off that crema? The ones at Ikea look a little small, for tea maybe?

Thank you!
20 replies
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4321 upvotes
If you wanted cheaper/affordable (read: third party) pods you shouldn't have bought Vertuoline. There are no third party Vertuo pods (yet), other than some places on Amazon that sell hacked refillable ones.

If you want to use cheaper, third party pods (some of which are sold at Walmart) I recommend you return the Vertuo and get an Original Line machine instead.

But if you want to stick with Vertuo, look into buying permanent refillable pods (they're metal), or go on YouTube for instructions on how to refill pods (don't toss them in the trash! keep them for this use).
[OP]
Apr 21, 2008
152 posts
139 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: If you wanted cheaper/affordable (read: third party) pods you shouldn't have bought Vertuoline. There are no third party Vertuo pods (yet), other than some places on Amazon that sell hacked refillable ones.
Ah! The machine worked out to $169 PLUS a $40 coffee pod gift card! That was the affordable part I guess.

Thanks for the reply! Really appreciate it.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45144 posts
8181 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: If you wanted cheaper/affordable (read: third party) pods you shouldn't have bought Vertuoline. There are no third party Vertuo pods (yet), other than some places on Amazon that sell hacked refillable ones.

If you want to use cheaper, third party pods (some of which are sold at Walmart) I recommend you return the Vertuo and get an Original Line machine instead.

But if you want to stick with Vertuo, look into buying permanent refillable pods (they're metal), or go on YouTube for instructions on how to refill pods (don't toss them in the trash! keep them for this use).
My dad (retired with lots of time on his hands).
After use, He cuts them open carefully. Refills it with high quality grounds.
Then carefully seals it back up.

It works... & actually taste great with the good quality beans he uses.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4321 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: My dad (retired with lots of time on his hands).

Exactly what I'll be doing with all my saved up Original pods once I use up my initial stockpile...
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14655 posts
4214 upvotes
Montréal
Good advice from EastGTARedFlagger. I'm an original line user for ages and tried Vertuo and didn't prefer it...but it really depends if you like the 'flexibility' of having reg coffee. I personally am strictly hooked on espresso and never like reg, but ofc everyone's different. I also thought that the espresso from the Vertuo is not the same as the original.

Re original pods, the choices are many and you can get them almost anywhere, e.g. in Quebec, the appliance chain Centre du Rasoir sells them, and also many grocery stores.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
2958 upvotes
keenland
UrbanPoet wrote: My dad (retired with lots of time on his hands).

yep..
got the v-next..damn pods are over $1 piece ..there was a good sale on at xmas when I got mine...ended up with machine and about 140 pods for about $160 i think ..
well I drink about 5-10 cups a day depending on the day...using the refill and foil sticky type...till I use them up, then going to the steel refill pod..actually been pleasantly surprised with the recycled pods so far...except for the messy work part
Nov 20, 2013
195 posts
80 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Im also a newbie in Nespresso, just recently got my Inissia. The taste of original pods is impressive. But 1$ for coffee at home is unacceptable for true RFDer, right? Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Unfortunately, research shows that 3rd party pods aren't nearly as good, plus its a big bummer for me that they are mostly plastic, not aluminum.
Same with reusable stainless steel pods: taste is not as good (unless you become an expert in finding the right type, grind, amount, precise tamping etc.)
Sigh...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Public Mobile customer, as well as Vancity, Novus, Modo, Evo and Endy mattress :)
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16627 posts
3829 upvotes
Toronto
pimpilsang wrote: Im also a newbie in Nespresso, just recently got my Inissia. The taste of original pods is impressive. But 1$ for coffee at home is unacceptable for true RFDer, right? Smiling Face With Sunglasses
The price drops to 70 cents (or so) if you settle for Linen Chest's version of the Nespresso pods.
Belmio is one of the brands: (this example is for the Nespresso mini models) https://www.linenchest.com/en_ca/belmio ... BAQAvD_BwE

They have other brands for the main Nespresso machines with similar pricing, set to be less than the name brand Nespresso pods.
I have no idea what the quality (taste) is like because I have not tried them yet.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14655 posts
4214 upvotes
Montréal
Dunno about the $/unit but a little cheaper than Nespresso yet still good quality: 2 Italian brands, Lavazza and Oro Caffe.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4321 upvotes
If you don't want to mess with refilling your own, I have tried these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Compatible-Capsul ... B00TW72M94

The quality (taste/aroma/crema/etc) is comparable to the Nespresso branded ones. 60 capsules for $35.90, so that's 60 cents each. Not a huge discount but still cheaper than the minimum 78 cents per pod from Nespresso. I got these when they had a Black Friday special...

Another possibility is buy the Starbucks-branded ones at Costco, but wait for it to go on sale (it is in the usual rotation, seems to come around once a month or so).
[OP]
Apr 21, 2008
152 posts
139 upvotes
A large coffee at McDonald’s or Tim Horton’s is $2

So even at $1/pod, for me personally, it’s a great deal for better quality coffee and espresso.

I just ditched my French Press because the clean up was too messy. I won’t be fiddling around with refilling pods.

Thanks to everyone to took the time to reply!

Now what about those clear mugs? Anyone?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
2958 upvotes
keenland
mighty_chef wrote: A large coffee at McDonald’s or Tim Horton’s is $2

So even at $1/pod, for me personally, it’s a great deal for better quality coffee and espresso.

I just ditched my French Press because the clean up was too messy. I won’t be fiddling around with refilling pods.

Thanks to everyone to took the time to reply!

Now what about those clear mugs? Anyone?
Walmart has some , they were on sale before xmas
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14655 posts
4214 upvotes
Montréal
mighty_chef wrote: Now what about those clear mugs? Anyone?
I got some freebies from Nespresso ages ago :D

I got cheap but decent espresso ones from Dollarama, really depends what you're looking for.
Jan 14, 2007
568 posts
189 upvotes
GTA North
cardguy wrote: Walmart has some , they were on sale before xmas
Agreed, the Walmart cups work perfectly and look great. My daughter got them online

Just don't drop one, they tend to shatter into literally 10,000 pieces
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1563 posts
745 upvotes
Honestly after finding out how much Vertuo pods cost I was so turned off that Ill start recommending to sell your machine

I am so glad I went for the Original line (I own the Latissima Pro). Coffee in less than 20 secs, endless options for 3rd party ones

Id try selling the machine Slightly Smiling Face
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
2958 upvotes
keenland
Biscayne05 wrote: Honestly after finding out how much Vertuo pods cost I was so turned off that Ill start recommending to sell your machine

I am so glad I went for the Original line (I own the Latissima Pro). Coffee in less than 20 secs, endless options for 3rd party ones

Id try selling the machine Slightly Smiling Face
nah..definitely more work refilling pods , but is easy ,.cost wise almost as low as K (refillable)...now to find a perm large size..but refilling pods is actually easy and fairly quick..i will do about 10 at a time then they are ready...cant do that with K.. looking for the ss kits but with different sizes

better cup IMO ..so the K machine has been assigned to the farm team in the appliance graveyard in my house..and I drink too much coffee
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20060 posts
5448 upvotes
Good Morning
Grosche.ca has some options for glasses
Dec 17, 2009
810 posts
639 upvotes
Vancouver
mighty_chef wrote: Purchased the Nespresso Virtuo Next (with Aeroccino) from Costco over Christmas.

Couple of questions as a new owner:

1. Where are you purchasing your pods from? Are there cheaper/affordable options for pods?

2. Outside of Amazon, where can I find clear double-walled mugs to show off that crema? The ones at Ikea look a little small, for tea maybe?

Thank you!
Zwilling and Bodum have some nice double-wall cups and glasses. Shipping takes forever if you buy it from their website.
[OP]
Apr 21, 2008
152 posts
139 upvotes
Just to wrap this thread up,

my wife found these clear mugs at a neighborhood dollar store (not dollarama) in Brampton (Ontario)

IMG_1780.jpg

They are just a little small for people who like their coffee with lots of milk, but they do the job.

Thanks to everyone who responded.