[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3230 posts
773 upvotes
Oshawa

NEST 3rd Gen Thermostat & Humidity

Should I be concerned??

How accurate is the reporting of the humidity in the home with the Nest 3rd Gen Thermostat??

It shows humidity at 20% ... I got ceramic tiles in Kitchen, Foyer, and Bathrooms. Everywhere else is carpet. Basement unfinished.

Screenshot_20190130-140500.jpg
IMG_20190130_140732.jpg

We don't have a humidifier hooked up to the furnace.

We do, however, have two standalone humidifiers ... a VAVA 3L (VA-AH012) and an Elokos 4L (EA-2007).

The air is not dry in the house. We haven't even put these two to use this year.

Any ideas?
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2137 posts
1450 upvotes
SW Ontario
Any other way of confirming what the actual humidity level in your home is? ... I have some cheap watch battery powered meters off Ebay I use for other projects that I use to confirm humidity in various parts of the house.
If it is 20%, given the outside temperature, it's probably about right ... I can always tell if the humidity is too low as clothing and blankets tend to have a lot of static electricity in them when rubbed or pulled apart.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1945 posts
1054 upvotes
Toronto
What does tile and carpet have to do with this? Just curious.

I also have a Nest 3rd gen which reports 20% humidity even though I'm running a whole-home humidifier on maximum. No static in the house to speak of.

Doesn't feel dry. I too plan on getting an hygrometer to validate the humidity levels.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3230 posts
773 upvotes
Oshawa
torontotim wrote:
Jan 30th, 2019 10:50 pm
What does tile and carpet have to do with this? Just curious.
Those that have hardwood flooring would be concerned about low humidity. Indicated flooring type so no need for people to ask what flooring I have.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Apr 21, 2012
286 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
I have a nest E, its showing 22%, and I have a whole house humidifier, my $16 hydrometer from homehardware concurs, it does feel dry in the house but not to the point of worrying about it.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1945 posts
1054 upvotes
Toronto
Mine is actually reading 16% right now. Nothing I've ever worried about and the furnace/humidifier have been in place since 2005 doing their thing.

Hardwood throughout the house that I installed myself. No contraction or expansion issues in the floor or solid-poplar baseboards and trim I put in the house either.

It wasn't clear from the original post what the ceramic and carpet had to do with the low humidity or accuracy of the Nest. I understand flooring and other aspects of the house construction and personal health are impacted by the humidity.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2005
1083 posts
26 upvotes
torontotim wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 1:13 am
Mine is actually reading 16% right now. Nothing I've ever worried about and the furnace/humidifier have been in place since 2005 doing their thing.

Hardwood throughout the house that I installed myself. No contraction or expansion issues in the floor or solid-poplar baseboards and trim I put in the house either.

It wasn't clear from the original post what the ceramic and carpet had to do with the low humidity or accuracy of the Nest. I understand flooring and other aspects of the house construction and personal health are impacted by the humidity.
You have a humidifier running and your humidity is at 16%? Or am I reading that wrong.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2198 posts
747 upvotes
Mississauga
My Nest is pretty accurate compared to my Netatmo weather modules. They show identical humidity values when placed side by side for 24 hours. Strangely different locations within the same room gave slightly different values like Nest 3rd mounted on wall while the others were placed on the dining table.

Right now Nest E is at 36% and Nest 3rd gen is 37% both on the main floor. Netatmo modules are at 41% on the 2nd floor, basement is 35%.

I previously had a Nest 2nd gen which was not accurate(~10% off). The FET died and the warranty replacement that I received was a bit more accurate(3% off).
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
2678 posts
993 upvotes
Canada
Humidity is 27% inside my house right now.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10620 posts
4896 upvotes
Brampton
The Nest are only off by about 5% if you have drafty walls. The humidity sensor is at the back of the unit. So If your house is drafty and it's a drafty interior wall it'll read slightly lower.