Hot Deals

[Nest] [ON-GTA] Simply Smart Home - Free NEST™ E Thermostat & Install (after Enbridge $100 credit)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2019 10:50 pm
Nov 18, 2015
812 posts
619 upvotes
Unionville, ON
Nev0513 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 10:46 am
Good for people who didn't take advantage of the GreenON program, which had this or the Ecobee 3 lite or the Honeywell Lyric for free. I ended up going with the Ecobee and I'm loving it. Way better than Nest E.

On another note, I applied for the Nest Protect through simplysmarthome several months back. A month ago I randomly got a call from them to setup a time/date to come and install it. They never showed up on the schedule date.
Yup same thing with me... They called to schedule and appointment and they didn't show up...
Sep 20, 2017
57 posts
41 upvotes
Luckily the guy who showed up at my place didn't try to upsell/cross-sell anything too hard. He just asked a bunch of questions..and that's it. Maybe because I already had all the smart products they were offering.
And I politely declined to the question he asked if we would be interested in any products from them in the future by saying that I don't foresee anything in the next couple of years at least.
Aug 19, 2011
141 posts
30 upvotes
Markham
wartune123 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 12:40 pm
Yup same thing with me... They called to schedule and appointment and they didn't show up...
They did this to us twice. Booked an appointment, sent us an email confirmation including date and time then no show. Months later they called us to book an appointment (without realizing they had already done that to us once), sent an email confirmation and no show again.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3166 posts
724 upvotes
Oshawa
I had a great experience with Simply Smart Home.

Back in April 2018 ... I signed up for the FREE Nest Protect CO/Smoke Alarm ... FREE with no obligation whatsoever. During the time when the technician was here ... he explained some of their programs and stuff they have. A regular normal sales pitch. The total time was just about 40 minutes ... not long.

A Wireless Nest Protect CO/Smoke Alarm was installed in the foyer.

I noticed that my Hot Water Tank was the original one when the house was built in 2006 ... paying $28.53+taxes a month to Enercare via Enbridge. They (Enercare) offered to replace it for FREE. That was it. Nothing else. No discounts. No perks.

In May 2018 ... I gave the same Simply Smart Home technician a call back. I asked about a new Hot Water Tank. We went back and forth a couple times. Not a big deal with negotiations ... it's expected. He said the same 50 Gallon HWT had two options:

(a) 10-Year Rent-To-Own @ $22.08+taxes a month
or
(b) 10-Year Rent-To-Own @ $28.53+taxes a month with a FREE device (Nest Protect or Nest Outdoor Camera or Google Home)

10 years ... 120 months ...

If I went with (a) ... savings would be $6.45 a month ... $874.62 (taxes in) over 10 years.
If I went with (b) ... I would be paying the same out of the pocket as if I was with Enercare ... but would get one item free ...

Of the 3 Wired Smoke alarms that was in the house at that time ... ONLY one was working.

I ended up getting:
(i) a NEW 50 Gallon Hot Water Tank (manufacture date APRIL 2018) at $28.53+taxes a month ... 10-Year Rent-To-Own
(ii) 3 Wired Nest Protect CO/Smoke Alarms ... NO Charge

Ended up saving $149.99 x 3 + taxes = $508.47 with the three Wired Nest Protect CO/Smoke Alarms ... yes over 10 years I would be paying $874.62 towards the HWT but minus the $508.47 for the Nest ... then in total I would only be paying $366.15 ... add in the previous FREE Nest ... that would be $366.15-$169.50 = $196.65

To make this even better ... my Mom contacted the Technician that did all this for me ... she got a Wireless NEST Protect CO/Smoke Alarm for FREE as well. It wasn't installed ... and I took that and put it in my basement ...

$196.65 - 169.50 = $27.15

BOOM! What a striking deal!

To TOP it off ... I got a FREE NEST E Thermostat through the GREEN ON Program ... that Tech came ... did not remove my old thermostat (an old HoneyWell) ... just opened the package and scanned the Nest E Thermostat ... and that was it. When he left ... I swapped out the Honeywell ... and put back my Nest 3rd Generation Thermostat that I purchased on Boxing Day 2017, that I got $100 from Enbridge and a FREE Google Home Mini.

Ended up selling the Nest E for $125.

Sold the Honeywell Pro 4000 Programmable Thermostat TH4110D1007 for $30.

Sold the one working KIDDE i12060ACA Wired Smoke Alarm for $10.

Ooops ... I guess I actually made money on the entire transaction. I did make close to $140.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Jun 14, 2011
225 posts
103 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Nev0513 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 10:46 am
Good for people who didn't take advantage of the GreenON program, which had this or the Ecobee 3 lite or the Honeywell Lyric for free. I ended up going with the Ecobee and I'm loving it. Way better than Nest E.

On another note, I applied for the Nest Protect through simplysmarthome several months back. A month ago I randomly got a call from them to setup a time/date to come and install it. They never showed up on the schedule date.
Is that the one with the free nest smoke alarm? I got mine after like a month of signing up. Try calling them again
[OP]
Dec 28, 2009
11 posts
9 upvotes
GTA
Hello everyone! A lot of mixed feedback here, which is great for discussion. ;)

I gave the company a call around lunch time, especially after a few posters here noticed with their eagle eye that Enbridge $100 credit program is changing to $75, starting Feb 1st. After waiting for 30 mins or so (I was doing work anyways; the music was pleasant), the lady told me she'll have a co-worker call me back in the afternoon. After 2-3 hours, a gentleman called me back and he understood everything. He said he could schedule for tomorrow 1-5pm. I said no-can-do-'cause-work, so he gave me a few range options on Saturday. I chose 5-9pm range, and asked for the technician to call me half-an-hour before he comes over. I will keep this thread updated on my experience. :)
Jan 3, 2007
240 posts
3 upvotes
Milton, Ontario
kelf wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 12:05 pm
I didn't even get a call for them to come install the Nest Protect last time...
I'm in the same boat as you ... didnt even get a call
Nov 23, 2014
251 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I think Enbridge gives you $100 credit,from where ever you buy and install
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3459 posts
586 upvotes
They called me about the free smoke alarm a couple of times. I cancelled and said I was no longer interested after reading some of these threads.
Are you a new parent and looking for freebies for your newborn, go here:
Freebies for your Newborn
Updated December 2018
Jan 29, 2010
251 posts
46 upvotes
I just them a call 2 months ago. 2 guys came in, check this, check that, then asked how old my air conditioner and furnaces were. Mine are within 2 years old. They noticed they couldn’t sell me anything and so, told me my house is incompatible with the nest e and left.

Because I still wanted to try the nest e,I bought it from Best Buy and installed it easily with no complications.

Conclusion: They just want to come in your home and sell you shit.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
1377 posts
1392 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Dustler6 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:10 am
YES! DO NOT FALL INTO THEIR SCAMThey are just trying to get their foot in the door to sell you more stuff. That's what happened with the Nest Protect, i signed up, said I wasn't qualified because they only brought in a battery operated one and my house is hardwired so they cant do it. I believe they have no intention of giving you anything.

They offered me a free Nest installation if I signed up for a furnace plan, but i need to stay with them for 5 years. If I leave within the 5 years I would need to pay some amount to buy the Nest, and possibly the installation charges as well.

Enbridge already offers you $100 back regardless, so do yourself a favour and spend that extra $130 out of pocket to buy the Nest-E yourself just to avoid these guys.
SCAM SCAM SCAM.

Avoid this company at all costs, I had signed up for their previous Nest Protect promo, first 2 times they did not arrive when they were supposed to, after I complained for the 3 time, they finally arrived, as soon as "the kid" started walked up to my door, first thing he said, this is a townhouse complex, you're not eligible. I said why? He said the condo corps don't like them installing smoke detectors as it's against their policy because they should be changing it under the maintenance fee. I said "no, maintenance is for the exterior of the townhouse, everything inside is my responsibility", their excuse to disqualify me was bullsh!t, as I had confirmed with their customer service numerous times that townhouses are eligible. I also had greenon install a Nest E without any issues. I complained to customer service, but it fell on deaf ears. This company is just trying to upsell and when they realize that you are not an easy pushover they throw BS excuses to make you not eligible.

Scam scam scam.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3079 posts
726 upvotes
Mississauga
Dustler6 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:10 am
YES! DO NOT FALL INTO THEIR SCAMThey are just trying to get their foot in the door to sell you more stuff. That's what happened with the Nest Protect, i signed up, said I wasn't qualified because they only brought in a battery operated one and my house is hardwired so they cant do it. I believe they have no intention of giving you anything.

They offered me a free Nest installation if I signed up for a furnace plan, but i need to stay with them for 5 years. If I leave within the 5 years I would need to pay some amount to buy the Nest, and possibly the installation charges as well.

Enbridge already offers you $100 back regardless, so do yourself a favour and spend that extra $130 out of pocket to buy the Nest-E yourself just to avoid these guys.
I had an ecobee and nest protect installed by them and they didn't sit me down or try to sell me anything. I also got them to install a nest in my mom's place. Again, no issues or hassling and it didn't cost anything. I asked and they told me that they decided to pour their marketing budget into this program rather than traditional marketing (i.e. radio, tv, mail, etc.)
Oct 15, 2015
21 posts
5 upvotes
Caledon, ON
I finally got the call from them couple days ago for the Nest Protect program, have an appt tmrw....I'll update tmrw