Hot Deals

[Nest] [ON-GTA] Simply Smart Home - Free NEST™ E Thermostat & Install (after Enbridge $100 credit)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2019 10:50 pm
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
12737 posts
1238 upvotes
Mississauga
Nev0513 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 10:46 am
Good for people who didn't take advantage of the GreenON program, which had this or the Ecobee 3 lite or the Honeywell Lyric for free. I ended up going with the Ecobee and I'm loving it. Way better than Nest E.

On another note, I applied for the Nest Protect through simplysmarthome several months back. A month ago I randomly got a call from them to setup a time/date to come and install it. They never showed up on the schedule date.
I love my Nest E (and I had the older version too). Way better than Ecoobee (that my brother got, so I got really familar with it).. Preferences!
Jul 22, 2013
195 posts
53 upvotes
These people try so hard to upsell you. Don't do it.
Public Mobile, Tangerine, Amex
Sep 26, 2007
459 posts
35 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Why not purchasing the nest thermostat from a store and submit the application for the $100 rebate to Enbridge?
Oct 27, 2018
21 posts
11 upvotes
jmichou wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 9:54 pm
Why not purchasing the nest thermostat from a store and submit the application for the $100 rebate to Enbridge?
Was wondering the same Thinking Face
Feb 12, 2007
166 posts
24 upvotes
Do not let the scumbags into your house. They wear a T Shirt with the Google logo to look legit and will try to sell you their services. Their MO is to check out your furnace and water heater first and take a look at your existing smoke detectors then proceed to sell you their services while telling you that you don't qualify for the free nest protect or thermostat in this case.
Jan 15, 2006
538 posts
40 upvotes
A guy came last week and tried to sell me hot water tank, furnace etc. I I declined. I asked the free smoke alarm. He gave me run around saying I have hardwire and I’ll need to buy 2 from them. I told him thank you and walked him out of the door. If you do the math 1 free and buy 2 plus cost of their technicians to install it’s cheaper to buy your own.

I pm Home Depot 3 nest smoke alarm total of 363.
I installed myself vey easy.

Don’t waist your time. These guys are after to sell you stuff. The guy told me that he has to sell me stuff to get free.
Aug 21, 2011
3 posts
SCARBOROUGH
I initially signed up their free smoke/co detector program. Guy came in and checked existing smoke and co detectors and furnace water tank AC etc. I have a set of other brand smart smoke detector and also battery operated individual detectors all over the place. He then sat down and try to sell their water tank. I declined and then he said my house is very safe and I don't need any more then left.
After a few months I ended up calling them again to install a water tank for my rental place. They offered a free smart product of my choice and the free nest smoke detector. I was gonna take the nest hello which costs 299. A friend who used their service told me I can ask for cash instead of products. Sales agreed on 300 cheque later and a free nest smoke detector on site. However it took 3 month with many follow ups with the sales to finally receive the cheque. My advice is if you are already paying enbridge or other company for the water tank and out of contract, it's ok to get a new tank from them and ask for cash and a free nest detector. Their term has recently changed from 10 year to 15 year rent-to-own.
Oct 17, 2010
64 posts
31 upvotes
Nev0513 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 10:46 am
Good for people who didn't take advantage of the GreenON program, which had this or the Ecobee 3 lite or the Honeywell Lyric for free. I ended up going with the Ecobee and I'm loving it. Way better than Nest E.

On another note, I applied for the Nest Protect through simplysmarthome several months back. A month ago I randomly got a call from them to setup a time/date to come and install it. They never showed up on the schedule date.
I also recommend the Ecobee 3 as totally worthwhile.

Nest is essentially like Apple.. super cool and easy to use, but it's a bit of a black box and does things its own way within its own ecosystem, so you might not always get exactly what you want.

Ecobee is more PC. Maybe not quite as cool, but you can tweak it to get it exactly the way you want it, and far more data for the data heads. And it's Canadian!
Jun 10, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
Came to my house, said the nest gen 1 was not compatible with my year old furnace, but they might be able to get me the third gen for free.
Just had to replace my water heater. Of course just the old type wasn't good enough, just had to upgrade to a power vented water heater for
$30/mth. But there plan was rent to own so after 15 years of payments I would own the tank and get the nest 3 for free!
Only $4500 for an $800 tank and a $250 nest plus installation! What a bargain!
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
1827 posts
1029 upvotes
Toronto
AV-Fishing wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 2:46 pm
*wall of text*
*wall of text*
I ended up getting:
(i) a NEW 50 Gallon Hot Water Tank (manufacture date APRIL 2018) at $28.53+taxes a month ... 10-Year Rent-To-Own
*wall of text*
*wall of text*
Umm do you realize that comes out to $3,423.60
You can get a new water heater for $500 with 9 year warranty. And if you maintain it they can easily last 20+ years
There are no deals when it comes to water tank rentals. The only one that got a deal is Simply Smart Home (and I guarantee they paid way less than $500 for that water heater)
Jul 16, 2006
320 posts
147 upvotes
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 2:49 pm
Umm do you realize that comes out to $3,423.60
You can get a new water heater for $500 with 9 year warranty. And if you maintain it they can easily last 20+ years
There are no deals when it comes to water tank rentals. The only one that got a deal is Simply Smart Home (and I guarantee they paid way less than $500 for that water heater)
Only deal is if you are selling your house and you need it replaced.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
1827 posts
1029 upvotes
Toronto
rich24 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 3:04 pm
Only deal is if you are selling your house and you need it replaced.
This is true. Unethical, but true
Nov 1, 2017
363 posts
99 upvotes
Bought a Honeywell thermostat during the last promo... Never got the credit
Feb 3, 2012
113 posts
31 upvotes
T.O.
johncanuck wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:56 pm
I also recommend the Ecobee 3 as totally worthwhile.

Nest is essentially like Apple.. super cool and easy to use, but it's a bit of a black box and does things its own way within its own ecosystem, so you might not always get exactly what you want.

Ecobee is more PC. Maybe not quite as cool, but you can tweak it to get it exactly the way you want it, and far more data for the data heads. And it's Canadian!
For those of you with the Ecobee there is an alternative tool to monitor your thermostat. I like it better.
beestat.io
Oct 15, 2015
21 posts
5 upvotes
Caledon, ON
darkknight6 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 9:32 pm
I finally got the call from them couple days ago for the Nest Protect program, have an appt tmrw....I'll update tmrw
The Rep came, took a look at my smoke detectors and said since they're already hard wired smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, I don't qualify for the Nest Protect. He was in and out in few mins.