Expired Hot Deals

[Nest] [ON-GTA] Simply Smart Home - Free NEST™ E Thermostat & Install (after Enbridge $100 credit)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2019 10:01 pm
Dec 2, 2006
109 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
Initially these guys said they will come and do a survey and I will get a free next protect after conducting the survey. I setup an appointment and I waited for the guy a good 4 hour and no show, not even a call. They called me again and blaming me that someone called me and trying to confirm but I didn't answer the call. The fact is that I have a voicemail and there was no message at all. Then got a second appointment setup. Told them call me at least 30 minutes in advance as I am not going to spend another 4 hours sitting at home waiting. They promised, and the guy show up without calling me in advance. He walked around the house saying my smoke detector is wired, and he can't give me a single battery one. He said he can replace all if I sign up the contract to rent the water tank with them. He told me how good their tank in comparing to the one I have. I asked him how much and he said same as Reliance. I told him I get discount from Reliance and he said he can match the price as long as I can show him the invoice. I show him right on my phone and he said that's something they cannot match. He said I can give him a call if I decide to sign up with them. Long story short, these guys are scammers! DO NOT DEAL WITH THEM!
Mar 12, 2011
221 posts
200 upvotes
Mississauga
gamelover wrote:
Feb 4th, 2019 1:49 pm
... I asked him how much and he said same as Reliance. I told him I get discount from Reliance and he said he can match the price as long as I can show him the invoice. I show him right on my phone and he said that's something they cannot match. He said I can give him a call if I decide to sign up with them. Long story short, these guys are scammers! DO NOT DEAL WITH THEM!
I'm always hesitant to show an invoice to anyone who comes to my home to do sales. I guess that's just a leftover feeling from the natural gas price selling (door-to-door companies) days where those companies would copy your gas account number and submit it as if you signed up with them.
Feb 4, 2019
1 posts
They installed the NEST at our place and for my in-laws without any issues or hesitation. I guess there are always good and bad employees and we were lucky. We've been dealing with them for years and never had any issue, so don't think they are scammers. Have you tried talking to their service manager?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18706 posts
6728 upvotes
Toronto
metalcrit wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 8:53 am
They installed the NEST at our place and for my in-laws without any issues or hesitation. I guess there are always good and bad employees and we were lucky. We've been dealing with them for years and never had any issue, so don't think they are scammers. Have you tried talking to their service manager?
Lol when they screwed me out on a free installation, I went ape online and reported their shady practices. A customer service rep responded and invited me to reach out to customer service. I thought I would take them up on the suggestion. I emailed customer service and they ignored me. This company is a scam.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
1990 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
I had gotten an ecobee from these guys during the greenon promotion. I realized this winter that this f*@ks rewired my furnace itself to match the ecobee and in consequence, completely disabled my whole house humidifier. There was absolutely no reason to change up the wires at the furnace. They simply had to verify which colour was for what and ensure the ecobee matched. I used to have a nest before and it worked fine (although, the nest was a v1 and it just stopped working properly - but while it was there, it worked!).

I've rewired it to match and get power back to the humidifier - I was about to replace it thinking it just stopped working.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
8077 posts
882 upvotes
esq05 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 8:37 pm
I had gotten an ecobee from these guys during the greenon promotion. I realized this winter that this f*@ks rewired my furnace itself to match the ecobee and in consequence, completely disabled my whole house humidifier. There was absolutely no reason to change up the wires at the furnace. They simply had to verify which colour was for what and ensure the ecobee matched. I used to have a nest before and it worked fine (although, the nest was a v1 and it just stopped working properly - but while it was there, it worked!).

I've rewired it to match and get power back to the humidifier - I was about to replace it thinking it just stopped working.
What was the exact issue with your furnace? This winter is the first one where my heater sometimes won’t turn on even when the ecobee is calling for heat. I cleaned the furnace already and when it doesn’t turn on, I reset it with the on and off switch and it would come on again. It has 6 blinks on the lennox furnace which meant something is off with the pressure switch.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
1990 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
bobbings wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 9:11 pm
What was the exact issue with your furnace? This winter is the first one where my heater sometimes won’t turn on even when the ecobee is calling for heat. I cleaned the furnace already and when it doesn’t turn on, I reset it with the on and off switch and it would come on again. It has 6 blinks on the lennox furnace which meant something is off with the pressure switch.
Thinking back now, I've had the same issue since going to ecobee but since I rewired it properly, I haven't had this issue (with ecobee asking for heat and no heat coming on). Never had this issue before getting an ecobee and now I realize that it may have had do with their wiring. Although, I didn't have the system error code like you did.

Do you also have a whole house humidifier?

In short, they removed the c-wire (which gives power to the ecobee) and just replaced it with the heat. I remember my nest needing a dedicated c-wire but maybe ecobee didn't.

I can PM you the pictures later today of what wiring I had (what I went back to) and what wiring they did.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2005
1245 posts
371 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 8:24 pm
Lol when they screwed me out on a free installation, I went ape online and reported their shady practices. A customer service rep responded and invited me to reach out to customer service. I thought I would take them up on the suggestion. I emailed customer service and they ignored me. This company is a scam.
They said the same, never got back to me. I'm going to update my Google Review and say they didnt even attempt to contact me.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18706 posts
6728 upvotes
Toronto
Dustler6 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 8:23 am
They said the same, never got back to me. I'm going to update my Google Review and say they didnt even attempt to contact me.
For every one of our legit reviews, they post 10 fake reviews.
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2005
1245 posts
371 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 9:37 am
For every one of our legit reviews, they post 10 fake reviews.
Seriously. Still worth doing it if it can get at least a few potential customers away from them.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
8077 posts
882 upvotes
esq05 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 8:01 am
Thinking back now, I've had the same issue since going to ecobee but since I rewired it properly, I haven't had this issue (with ecobee asking for heat and no heat coming on). Never had this issue before getting an ecobee and now I realize that it may have had do with their wiring. Although, I didn't have the system error code like you did.

Do you also have a whole house humidifier?

In short, they removed the c-wire (which gives power to the ecobee) and just replaced it with the heat. I remember my nest needing a dedicated c-wire but maybe ecobee didn't.

I can PM you the pictures later today of what wiring I had (what I went back to) and what wiring they did.
Thanks. Please pm me some pics so I can compare.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
May 6, 2017
136 posts
122 upvotes
When I had my house wired up last year there was young Chinese gentleman who came and did it for us. He was fresh out of school, and was super nice - no marketing/sales pitches, pointed out some bad electric wiring a contractor had done, and took the time to answer questions and wasn't in any sort of rush. 10/10
Feb 7, 2009
174 posts
22 upvotes
Installer came today as per scheduled appointment. He checked if 5 wires available for the Nest. All good and was installed no problem.
He mentioned to me that I had an old rented water heater tank and that I could get a newer , more efficient and a bit cheaper replacement for no charge, when i asked some questions he gave me a brochure with the information. No pressure whatsoever, but he was rather informative.
Paid $75 +HST, and applied online for the Enbridge rebate.
FYI, I have 2 furnaces and this is my second free Nest as first one was with the GreenOn program last year.
Hassle free and a great program.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18706 posts
6728 upvotes
Toronto
gamelover wrote:
Feb 4th, 2019 1:49 pm
Initially these guys said they will come and do a survey and I will get a free next protect after conducting the survey. I setup an appointment and I waited for the guy a good 4 hour and no show, not even a call. They called me again and blaming me that someone called me and trying to confirm but I didn't answer the call. The fact is that I have a voicemail and there was no message at all. Then got a second appointment setup. Told them call me at least 30 minutes in advance as I am not going to spend another 4 hours sitting at home waiting. They promised, and the guy show up without calling me in advance. He walked around the house saying my smoke detector is wired, and he can't give me a single battery one. He said he can replace all if I sign up the contract to rent the water tank with them. He told me how good their tank in comparing to the one I have. I asked him how much and he said same as Reliance. I told him I get discount from Reliance and he said he can match the price as long as I can show him the invoice. I show him right on my phone and he said that's something they cannot match. He said I can give him a call if I decide to sign up with them. Long story short, these guys are scammers! DO NOT DEAL WITH THEM!
Do everyone a favor, go to every review site and give them the rating they deserve. Likely their customer service rep will go and defend themselves and pretend that they are a trustworthy company by inviting you to call them to make amends. Of course they won't even speak to you when you reach out to them. Companies like this need to be closed down.
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Jul 30, 2007
73 posts
I had a technician come yesterday and I didn't have a horrible experience like some people did. He did a thorough survey (approximately 45 minutes), explained the products/price he was offering and I just let him know that I would think about it and reach out if I was interested. As he was about to leave, he mentioned that it was illegal for him to replace our wired smoke detectors with the battery powered Nest ones but I asked if he could install it somewhere else on the floor and he was agreeable to to it, so no complaints here. He was a nice guy and wasn't pushy whatsoever