• May 4th, 2018 9:08 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8414 posts
556 upvotes

Nest Hello

Just wonder if anyone here has purchased and installed it. If so, please give us some feedback. By the way, the web site info says the existing doorbell might not provide enough voltage for this. When I was checking out the other brands like August or Ring in the past, I thought they all say that we can just connect it to the existing doorbell wire.

According the online review, people don't like that subscription fee for video recording. Wonder if there is other no fee alternative.

Thanks in advance for any feedback :)

https://store.nest.com/ca/product/nest-hello/NC5100EF

12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5526 posts
1116 upvotes
I'm looking to change over my Ring 2 as well, however, the reviews on Home Depot are pretty bad. Most are saying that it will start to freeze and stop working somewhere around -10C, so it's not suitable for most of Canada. Might be ok in VanCity and Victoria.
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA

「上上下下左右左右BA」
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2545 posts
1074 upvotes
, ON
I got one and it was very easy to install. Most standard door bell has standard voltage. I have been using it and it has been great. Lost connection once a while not sure why, but most of the time is okay. It also notifies me if they detect loud sound or any movement in front of the door. By the time winter comes, it is still under warranty so we will see.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8414 posts
556 upvotes
What about the winter weather concern ?
anotherbargainhunter wrote: I got one and it was very easy to install. Most standard door bell has standard voltage. I have been using it and it has been great. Lost connection once a while not sure why, but most of the time is okay. It also notifies me if they detect loud sound or any movement in front of the door. By the time winter comes, it is still under warranty so we will see.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2545 posts
1074 upvotes
, ON
rdx wrote: What about the winter weather concern ?
I put my opinion about winter weather concern on my previous post. Also, do you think they would only make a product for warmer places only?
There is some articles out there on the web that says the internal will be kept warmer by the electric current. Try to google it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8414 posts
556 upvotes
I see. By the way, if my Foscam can survive the winter here, I guess this one should be ok. However, I think rain could be an issue though if your front door/porch is not covered.
anotherbargainhunter wrote: I put my opinion about winter weather concern on my previous post. Also, do you think they would only make a product for warmer places only?
There is some articles out there on the web that says the internal will be kept warmer by the electric current. Try to google it.
Apr 4, 2018
777 posts
192 upvotes
40Niner wrote: i have the Skybell HD and it doesn't require a fee subscription. Has been working pretty good for me.
I had to upgrade my 30+ year old door bell transformer to power it properly.

http://www.skybell.com/product/skybell- ... orbell-hd/

Thanks @40Niner - How did you upgrade the transformer? Was it hard to do? I have a pretty old door bell but this product looks good. Still cloud recording, but at least not forcing a sub.
Jan 4, 2007
376 posts
144 upvotes
Vancouver
mountaintree wrote: Thanks @40Niner - How did you upgrade the transformer? Was it hard to do? I have a pretty old door bell but this product looks good. Still cloud recording, but at least not forcing a sub.
The guy that did the electrical work when I renovated my house 30 years ago had the transformer attached to an octogon junction box similar to this:
As you can see, the power wires are easy to loosen. The harder part was unattaching the old transformer from the plate as I had to remove the plate from the junction box. Once you see how it was attached, replacing was easy peasy.

Actually the videos go to my iphone. The link below mentions that it goes to the cloud but it works really quickly forwarding to my iphone. A lot quicker than the Arlo Pro. Having an older iPhone 5 with 64gb, it fills up the memory quickly and the videos will overwrite themselves. Nowadays I review the videos nightly as sometimes when I forget to do it after several days, the overwrite stops happening and so I do a soft reboot at the doorbell to reset it.

https://skybelltechnologies.zendesk.com ... my-videos-

I recently bought an Arlo Pro camera for the front of the house as I happened to have a pony wall that obstructs the Skybell's view to the street. I got the Arlo to catch people who don't pick up their doggie doo or pilfer my flowers. The Skybell HD is 1080p and its video is much more sharper than the Arlo's 720p video. I used the microphone once on a gal soliciting funds and it sure surprised her. Overall, my wife is happy to have the Skybell.
Apr 4, 2018
777 posts
192 upvotes
Thanks @40Niner ! Stellar post - 10 upvotes if I could. Seriously thanks man - I'll look into the Skylink more. :)
Jan 4, 2007
376 posts
144 upvotes
Vancouver
Thank you, mountaintree.

Just be sure to run the Ookla speedtest app at the door bell location to see if your wifi signal is up to snuff. I had to adjust the router antenna positions to make sure the signal was strong.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3055 posts
386 upvotes
Mississauga
Love the nest I did the entire install and replaced the transformer etc

World great