Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11379 posts
7676 upvotes
Edmonton

Nest Hello or Ring Pro...

Seems like a bit of a crap shoot. People complaining on both sides about delays and lag. I like the fact that the Ring has more data on cold weather performance vs the Nest, and the annual cost of the Pro vs Nest. But the picture quality of the Nest seems better...

Thoughts? Price of the base units seems close enough to be a wash. Will also be looking at second camera unit for the detached garage.

C
25 replies
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1050 posts
256 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I bought the Ring Pro for two reasons... past history and performance and price. I got the Ring Pro for $170 on Prime Day which is almost half the price of the Nest Hello. I haven't experienced any lag with the Ring Pro, just random disconnects which is likely due to router placement/location.

If price is no issue, I would go with the Nest Hello. Keep in mind the monthly cloud service cost is also more expensive than the Ring Pro.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11379 posts
7676 upvotes
Edmonton
richuwo11 wrote: I bought the Ring Pro for two reasons... past history and performance and price. I got the Ring Pro for $170 on Prime Day which is almost half the price of the Nest Hello. I haven't experienced any lag with the Ring Pro, just random disconnects which is likely due to router placement/location.

If price is no issue, I would go with the Nest Hello. Keep in mind the monthly cloud service cost is also more expensive than the Ring Pro.
Yeah, I think that answers my quest right there... $100/year for Ring for all devices at a house (60 day retention, extended warranty for as long as you have a subscription), or $300/year for the same plan with Nest (30 day retention, and a discount of 50% off subsequent devices). Nest is pricing themselves out of my comfort zone. This is RFD, after all... :)

C
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2267 posts
779 upvotes
Woodbridge
I have RIng Pro but not very Happy Customer. I have mesh network besides ring signal booster at home and signals is not an issue in any corner but still I miss people on door due to lags. By the time my phone logs in and I am ready to reply mostly people are gone. Only benefit I see so far is I can see who was at the door ( after the fact ) .
Nest has a very cool feature I heard and that is "it recognoze face " and doesnt give you false alarms which happens in Ring quite often.
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Humidifier 2020 Group Buy
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11379 posts
7676 upvotes
Edmonton
I hear similar delay issues for some people with the Nest as well... So I’m thinking one of the important factors may be a retailer’s return policy...

C
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5114 posts
2526 upvotes
300$ for this thing and they make you pay a fee to use it? Damn
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11379 posts
7676 upvotes
Edmonton
Red_Army wrote: 300$ for this thing and they make you pay a fee to use it? Damn
Not quite... They make you pay a fee to save your video to the cloud. Without that, you can still get live feeds and notifications. You just don't get to see that after the fact.

C
May 6, 2013
745 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto
I have the Ring Pro, do I like it? Somewhat. I don't think this concept is perfected yet from any manufacturer, I feel like a beta tester most days dealing with lag, outages etc.
May 1, 2007
297 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
I've had Nest Hello for 2 months and it is excellent. Easy to install myself, strong WiFi signal, great video quality and works perfect with my Nest, WeMo, Echo and Google Home. Everything has worked perfectly out of the box.

Very happy with it. Thinking of getting a second for the back door.
Jul 8, 2014
328 posts
175 upvotes
AB
I bought a ring pro on amzon prime day as well, but haven't installed it or taken it of the box.

I have to decide in the next day or two whether to keep it or return it.

Just wondering, is there any point to keep the ring pro if I don't want to pay for a subscription service? I'm leaning towards not really
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9452 posts
1896 upvotes
Edmonton
I'm on my fourth Ring Pro because they keep crapping out on me. They're awesome
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11379 posts
7676 upvotes
Edmonton
clseea wrote: I'm on my fourth Ring Pro because they keep crapping out on me. They're awesome
What happens to them?

C
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9452 posts
1896 upvotes
Edmonton
CNeufeld wrote: What happens to them?

C
They die. I send them back, Ring sends a new one. First one was DOA. Second one worked for about 6 months. Third one was DOA. Fourth one is on its way to me right now. Neighbor is on his third after his first was DOA and second died.

I have good voltage, good WiFi signal, tried multiple different transformers. I'm guessing next they're going to send me their stupid plug in adapter so I can plug it into the wall outlet outside. That's a great idea, now people can just unplug it. Or better yet Ring can tell me to drill through my house to plug it in somewhere.

I have a feeling the replacements they send are refurbished versions.

Usually there's been some sort of update they do that boots them offline and then they come back. After my second one didn't come back I called Ring and they said "oh yea yours has been flagged for underperforming so we'll send you a new one". Thing is it had been flagged for weeks but no one at Ring bothered to tell me until I finally called in.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2779 upvotes
I've had a Ring 1 for a year. As an experiment I feel it has been worth it. It's nice to be able to see on video who is visiting your doorstep, when someone has left a package etc.. But for remote-answering the door I don't think it's all that useful - the lag is too great, the reliability too questionable.

If you want to experiment as part of the beta test team, go ahead - but don't invest a lot. These systems have a long way to go to reach maturity, and you'll probably end up replacing the one you buy now in a few years. In the meantime, there's that monthly or annual subscription fee to pay. There are other ways to handle remote alerts and recording other than paying for a subscription service, and there are competitors that don't have a subscription fee. It remains to be seen whether those solutions turn out to be more popular as the market matures, or the subscription services can stay on top by offering better convenience and features.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1050 posts
256 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Keep in mind that using the Ring, I'm sure it's the same with the Nest, that your doorbell still rings as normal. So it's not like ppl are ringing the doorbell and you have no idea someone is there if there is lag in sending the notification.